Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2024, 04:56 PM
n - 1

Get well soon.
If I were in your area (NE), I’d be looking for an endurance bike, slap some 38’s on and have fun on those pristine dirt roads.
Old 08-31-2024, 05:03 PM

In light of the Gaudreau tragedy Thursday night and my experience today (below), I am certainly sympathetic to TimS's perspective.

I had what I think of as a "come to Jesus" moment today. A car (SUV? pick-up truck?) passed going the other way on a two way street that generally isn't really wide enough for passing (Sheridan Road, Winnetka for the locals). I had no idea this was happening. I didn't see them coming. My first inkling was seeing the car passing me with maybe a foot to spare, going, I don't know, 40-50?

This is the first time I've seriously considered getting off the road. There isn't much in the way of gravel-ish riding around here. I'm trying to lighten the bike load as it is (nine or ten vintage steel bikes). I'd hate to think of having to sell them all for this sort of reason...
Old 08-31-2024, 05:32 PM

Appreciate your post, Tim, and hope you heal up quickly and well. I hope you stick around here even if you're not pedaling.
Old 08-31-2024, 06:48 PM

Peace

Tim, peace be with you. It takes a lot of courage and humility to acknowledge our limits. I respect you for that.
Old 08-31-2024, 06:50 PM

Just buy yourself the coolest garvel bike and call it good
Old 08-31-2024, 07:03 PM

I started running a DJI action camera on the front full time this year. A month later I got cut off by a car and crashed into them. Their insurance was happy to get the video and the driver took 100% fault. I know it's another thing hanging off the bars but I'd suggest people who still ride on the road to record everything going forward. Accountability is important in a world where people just generally get away with stuff.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:12 PM

Long time, hanging it up

A Serotta forum member for a long time and I don't doubt that is a difficult decision but swimming and running are less riskier than the bike. I, like many others have paid the price specifically in 2001 when a young girl turned left in to me and I ended up in a TBI unit and 7 hours of brain surgery. Look back on those bike days with fond memories and enjoy many many laps in the pool or even laps across the sound.
Old 08-31-2024, 07:41 PM

Stay strong, don't let anyone talk you into gravel
Old 08-31-2024, 08:06 PM

Hope you heal up better than ever.
Old 08-31-2024, 08:16 PM

Glad to see you're on the mend.

Begin soapbox...

I think as cyclists, we think car-to-bike crashes happen to only to reckless riders, but time and time again members of our community have been hit by cars. RIP Metin.

Instead of being automobile apologists, we should be demanding for stricter laws and enforcement of drivers so that anyone can continue riding a bike into old age without needing to be a daredevil, or retreating to gravel.

..gets off soapbox.

TimS, I'm glad you're keeping one Serotta, wish you the smoothest of recoveries, and hope your new activities brings you as much joy as biking did.
Old 08-31-2024, 10:21 PM
Retired!

It's an intelligent person who knows when enough is enough. As others have mentioned, gravel riding is where many of us now find ourselves riding, primarily free from vehicles. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery and hope you'll find another passion to pursue. Best of luck, Tim!

Kevin g
Old 08-31-2024, 10:46 PM

I hope you heal quickly and well.

I”m riding a lot less road and more mtb because of traffic. You might give it a try when you feel better.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:33 AM

glad it wasn't a worse injury

I wish you the fullest and fastest recovery.
I do hope you find some way to ride again, paths, trails etc.
Old 09-01-2024, 02:32 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
I remember when this was a Serotta site. I bought 2 back then, an Atlanta and Legend. I have loved them from the day that I bought them. They have been painted and re-painted, upgraded, and pampered. I write this just as a testimony to my cycling life and how I will miss it, but it is time to go.

I have been in back of an ambulance 3 times. Most recently I went over the hood of a car landed on my head. The helmet did its thing but my neck was broken. I am on the mend today after some insane pain, a 3 hour surgery and 2 weeks of time. Surprisingly it does not hurt at all and I could, I could get back on my bike. But I wont. It is time, my time to end.

From 2000 to today I have ridden most every day. My miles are logged and timed. 7,500 was my most in a year, 2,400 this past - and many in between. Events, so many events.

My bikes have been my true joy - I will miss them terribly. It is not just about me anymore, others count on me. And this last one was close - so close. I will be putting one of my bikes on here shortly, it is old but it is as close to perfect as an old bike can be. The Atlanta will be stripped and will find its way to my wall, where it belongs.

I hope that I can find that rider that loves the road as I loved the road. Riding a bike saved my life when i needed saving so many years ago. I don’t need the hurt like I needed it before.

I swam across Long Island sound once, maybe I’ll turn back to swimming, maybe I’ll run. I know whatever I do I will be thinking of the bike.

It has been a good ride, Thank you and goodbye.

Tim
You have the other options, running and swimming.
Runners become cyclists, not by choice.
Swimmers, if you have clean water available.
Water seems the safest most relaxing place if you have the option.
For myself it's always a peaceful place.
Just find your own new place.
Old 09-01-2024, 06:35 AM
ZhugeLiang

Tim pal, I understand, take your time, nobody is saying or telling you that you must keep on riding no matter what, but keep your options open, life's not all or nothing, take care yourself.

Last edited by weisan; 09-01-2024 at 07:53 AM.