Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2024, 05:27 PM

What time of year? There might be special events that you would find attractive---or not that might affect your plans.
Old 08-24-2024, 05:35 PM

What about a rental RV in Europe? There are all kinds of campgrounds and the itinerary is up to you. I lived in Sardinia for seven months and the campgrounds are nice. You can take ferries to Sardinia and Corsica.
Old 08-24-2024, 05:57 PM

New Zealand, pop over to Aussie land. Great people chill, safe for family.

Or consider 2 locations have NZ and half touring Europe.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:18 PM

I’ll recommend Denmark too. Beautiful country, great infrastructure, and easy to travel to other destinations. English no issue. I know it’s a small country but worth a look.
Old 08-24-2024, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
It’s been almost 10 years now (wow) but we did a family trip to Stockholm and Copenhagen and it remains one of my favorite vacations, including several good ones to other parts of Europe. It was only 10-11 days total but I could see staying at least a month in each city, esp Stockholm. 5 hour high speed train connects the 2 cities and English is used commonly in both places.
This - The Scandinavian countries are so easy to get around in and are great for families.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminyt View Post
This - The Scandinavian countries are so easy to get around in and are great for families.
Aren't they expensive?
Old 08-25-2024, 04:15 AM

Have a look at Ljubljana, Slovenia. English speaking, incredible culture, amazing food, insane riding, affordable, and friendly people.

I spent a couple of weeks there and would love to return for longer
Old 08-25-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Aren't they expensive?
My experience, a couple years pre Covid was Stockholm a little more expensive than Copenhagen but neither Switzerland expensive. Probably similar to non LA/NY American big city.

We were living it up in Stockholm until I realized I was doing the currency conversion wrong. Doh!
Old 08-25-2024, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Not knowing the OPs work and personal situation, I agree that NZ/Australia would be great. I would love to get over there but it's SO far that you really need a prolonged period to really enjoy it, and the OP sounds like they have that.

If I had that much time, I would resist the urge to move around, rather base camp in one spot and really take in that different culture. When you move around a lot you are always a tourist, but a couple months in one location as a home base. you really get to know it.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
New Zealand
Definitely.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:24 AM

Annecy, France.

It may be a bit more expensive than a few of the other suggestions (at least during the Summer tourist season), but I would say well worth it. Great infrastructure, fantastic food, incredible riding and winter sports right out the door, very beautiful, easy access to a major international airport, close proximity to Switzerland and Italy, and fast/efficient train connections to major cities throughout the region.

We were just there recently and I'd love to have a chance to live there in the future.

Texbike
Old 08-25-2024, 05:05 PM

Unless you want to just stay in a big city, you are really limiting yourself without a car in Western Europe. It is pretty inexpensive to lease a brand new one through one of the French lease agencies such as Auto Europe, TT car etc. As long as you are a non EU citizen, you get a brand new car for up to 6 months with full coverage. And I don't think there are any age limits for licensed drivers. You can pick up at most major airports/cities in France, and for a fee in other major European cities. You can pick a specific type of car from Renault, Peugeot or Citroen, from Tiny to Van. I have done this probably 20 times in the past years As my wife has lived on and off in Italy for the past 25 years, and it has usually been pretty seamless, and even had a damaged care replaced once quite quickly.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:58 PM

Has to be one of the best threads ever.... intently reading, and dreaming.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:59 PM

If I could do Western Europe for three months, I would start in the spring with a bike and boat in Netherlands. You can't get a room and meals for the price. You can get an Ebike for anyone who isn't a rider already. I would probably start with their Southern Tour and after that tour, base myself out of Haarlem and take in Amsterdam, Keukenhof gardens, Hoorn, Alkmaar, Gouda and maybe a few others. Train travel between those towns is really easy.
Next, I would take a cruise to Norway.
Then take a train into Belgium and spend a few days in Brugge and Brussels each. Watch your wallet in Brussels, the pickpocket capitol of the world.
Then, take the train to Paris for a week or more and stay in the Hotels Rick Steve's book recommends. Then time in Annecy, Besancon, Briancon, Chamonix and maybe Lyon.
Train to Italy for Rome for a week. Also take in the port of Ostia and a few days in Florence and Venice.
Old 08-25-2024, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Have a look at Ljubljana, Slovenia. English speaking, incredible culture, amazing food, insane riding, affordable, and friendly people.

I spent a couple of weeks there and would love to return for longer
+1 on this. Great place for cycling (road or MTB) too. Is almost Europe in miniature - old world city (Ljubjana), Alps, wine country, and Adriatic all within 2-3 hours driving.