Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I don't know exactly what I've had but I've had 2 bikes with PF BBs going back to 2011 and had zero problems.

Chainrings and cranks seem to be the weak point in terms of noise these days.
I second the chain ring comment. I have found just tightening the bolts on the crank often quiets things down.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:36 AM

I have three BB30 Cannondales (CAAD9, CAAD10, and CAAD13), all set up identically. They use Wheels Manufacturing Delrin adapters to mount Shimano 24mm Hollowtech II cranksets (9000, 7000, and 6800 versions). All are smooth and quiet with no creaks.

Greg
Old 09-25-2024, 09:43 AM

So if I'm understanding correctly, press-fit BBs generally work reliably as long as you don't use an actual... press-fit BB?

Jokes aside I appreciate all the input!
Old 09-25-2024, 09:43 AM

I've had my Kindhuman a few years now and have never had even the slightest creak from the bb. The frame has a BB86 shell. I have a Chris King Pressfit 24 (which they no longer make) installed with a Shimano crankset. My main bike prior to that was a Cannondale CAAD10 with a BB30 shell. I used a Praxis bottom bracket. I don't remember the specific model but it was the type that threads together within the pressfit shell. That too has always been creak free.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:45 AM

I had to just go look, the SRAM DUB BB on my mountain bike might be making noise... but that's threaded.

I have honestly had more trouble with threaded BBs.

But I'm not blaming the BB yet as it's a MTB and there's tons of stuff that can make noise and I haven't really gone through it yet.
Old 09-25-2024, 10:03 AM

Press fit bearings should be a better solution than threaded bearing cups, if everything is done right. But the bike industry went to press fit bearings primarily as a cost savings measure, and they often didn't expend the resources to get it done right. Consequently, the press fit apertures in many frame are manufactured with inadequate tolerances, resulting in a lot problems with press fit bearings in these frames.

Because screw threads must be made with clearances (or else you'd never be able to screw them together), screw threads are inherently less precise than a good press fit. But threaded fits are more tolerant to poor manufacture, so while a good press fit is better than threads, threads can often be better than a poor press fit.
Old 09-25-2024, 01:50 PM

Been riding a custom titatnium bike since 2010 with PF30, just use the cheap SRAM model. It's been fine and creak free, I'm sure the builder took care to make sure all of the tolerances were tight though. For the latest bike a couple of years ago, builder guided towards threaded, but I would have been fine with PF30 again.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:56 AM

The Enduro thread-together Torqtite bottom brackets are excellent, with better tolerances and less drag than the Wheels Mfg version (in my experience).
Old 09-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Two wheels good

Of course bike noise is relative. I've ridden next to people riding bikes making "ticking" noises. When asked how they could handle riding with those sounds, they often said things like, "What sound?"

Thread-in BBs for me.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:42 AM

I'll just echo that companies with good QC (Pivot, on the MTB side, has been dead-silent over 4 bikes for me) can pull off press-fit with zero issues.
Old 09-26-2024, 10:51 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've never had a problem with BB86 or 386 using wheels manufacturing thread together BBs.
I've got 2 2nd gen chinesium CX frames running those BBs. Work well.

M
Old 09-28-2024, 01:36 PM

Do people here buy used frames with press fit BBs?
Old 09-28-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
I own 3 new-ish bikes I've bought used with press fit BBs. Three different manufacturers. No issues so far with any of them.
Old 09-28-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yup. Three of them so far. No problems with any of them.

Greg
Old 09-28-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Our Cannondale tandem has press fit BB-30 for the stoker. I dont really count that because it has a pressed in insert that adapts it to accept a threaded BB. In fact I am pretty sure the insert is a Cannondale piece and it came from the factory that way. Very weird to design it this way. As I recall, that metal insert was tacked in with a small blob of metal. When I discovered that I suspected it prevented the BB from seating properly. I brought it back to the store when the Cdale rep was visiting and he took one look and said thats no good we need to replace the frame. Imagine that. I didnt even think they made those frames any longer. This was about 2017. I think the tandems were more of an afterthought by that point. But this guy hooked me up with a new frame. Sorry for the tangent...

More recently I bought an Open UP used here on PL. It had an Ekar press fit which I had replaced with a Wheels Mfg for GRX and its been great. Between the Wheels and the other aftermarket options mentioned here I wouldnt let the press fit be a deal breaker or significant consideration.