Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I'm working on a drop bar 26" build and I'm pretty close to getting wrapped up and hit a snag - I bought 2 'dirt drop' style quill stems to have options on fit as well as a very nice feeling Nitto M106 handlebar, which has nice flat ramps for modern shifters (I'm going Sram 1x11).

The problem I've run into is, that I cant get the bar through the stem - it hangs up on the last bend. I dropped an M6 bolt into the clamp with slim M6 bolt in the slot to expand the quill opening but still no dice.

Are there any tricks I should try with this, or are these just not compatible with each other? And if not, would I have better luck with a road (flat/negative rise) quill stem? Or should I punt on this whole idea and get either a threadless adapter or innicycle threadless conversion headset?

Stem/Bar -

The build in question

Maybe remove the clamp bolt from the stem, insert a coin into the slot, and then reinsert the bolt and using it to gently pry open the clamp?
Old 08-25-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
It'll go, just have to be patient. It's like the two rings or horseshoes at Cracker Barrel. Work the bends toward the narrowest part of the clamp and use the Nitto spreader at the exact moment the bars get stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Maybe remove the clamp bolt from the stem, insert a coin into the slot, and then reinsert the bolt and using it to gently pry open the clamp?
Maybe I wasnt so clear in my original post - the stem clamp bolt is an M8 bolt, and I dropped in a smaller M6 bolt into the bolt hole with a slim M6 nut in the clamp and tightened the bolt to expand the clamp, but its not making any difference.

Old 08-26-2024, 10:51 AM

RJ, I ride M106 bars almost exclusively on my older bikes, 25+, the widest stem clamps I use are Ibis ti stems at 32mm and they are a real struggle to get the bars through the stem clamp. The combination of short radius bends on the M106 bars and your wide stem clap is more than likely going to make the combination a no go.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Maybe I wasnt so clear in my original post - the stem clamp bolt is an M8 bolt, and I dropped in a smaller M6 bolt into the bolt hole with a slim M6 nut in the clamp and tightened the bolt to expand the clamp, but its not making any difference.

If I understand your description correctly, the way that you are using the M6 bolt and nut will not expand the clamp properly.

You need to use the original M8 bolt with a coin or some other object that does not have a hole in it, to give the M8 bolt something to press against. When you tighten the M8 bolt against the coin, the effect is to expand the clamp, but don't over do it, it only needs to be expanded just enough to slide the bar through the hole.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
If I understand your description correctly, the way that you are using the M6 bolt and nut will not expand the clamp properly.

You need to use the original M8 bolt with a coin or some other object that does not have a hole in it, to give the M8 bolt something to press against. When you tighten the M8 bolt against the coin, the effect is to expand the clamp, but don't over do it, it only needs to be expanded just enough to slide the bar through the hole.

You don't understand correctly!!!!
Old 08-26-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
You don't understand correctly!!!!
oh, pardon me then, never mind...
please ignore or delete
Old 08-26-2024, 11:39 AM

Pull out the clamp bolt, pop a nickel in the gap, re-install the bolt, and tighten down to spread the clamp. Bob. Is. Yer. Uncle.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Pull out the clamp bolt, pop a nickel in the gap, re-install the bolt, and tighten down to spread the clamp. Bob. Is. Yer. Uncle.
Yes, except most quil stem claps were not built with threads in the outer portion of the stem clamp. No uncle!
Old 08-26-2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, except most quil stem claps were not built with threads in the outer portion of the stem clamp. No uncle!
My experience has been only with a couple of quill stems that worked well this way. Had they not, I guess I would have had use my imagination and found an alternate way to spread that gap....
Old 08-26-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:

What he's doing is clever. The M6 bolt bottoms on the threaded hole, so the nut is jacked against the lower portion of the stem and opens the gap.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:11 PM

I wanted the versatility of changing bars to modern carbon, so went with Nitto UI-12 stem. Have been happy with mine on a classic looking Weigle.

https://alexscycle.com/products/nitt...ssb-quill-stem
Old 08-26-2024, 01:20 PM

Come on people, I can understand some being mechanically challenged but this is inclined plane and screw stuff?
Old 08-26-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Can you slip a coin on top of the nut?
Old 08-26-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Come on people, I can understand some being mechanically challenged but this is inclined plane and screw stuff?
I'm glad you get it and thanks for the width measurement reference - will have to arm myself with a ruler to visit the co-op. With this short head tube a lot of the quills are waaaay too long, too.

I know the removable faceplate quill stems exist but I dont love the look. I think I'd go with the Innicycle conversion at that price and I am sure I have something suitable in the bin of stems & saddles.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Can you slip a coin on top of the nut?
but what if you put the nut on top of the coin? would it come up heads or tails?