Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

One issue with rooftop boxes is clearance - we have an older house and so the garage doors are not very tall. We cannot drive my wife's Volvo XC90 into the garage with a roof top installed and so I gave up. Parking garage clearance can also be an issue. If not an issue for you then the boxes are nice in that you can use them for other stuff.

We ended up getting a roof rack mounted ski carrier (we have a Kuat, which is okay, with the best feature being that it slides horizontally so I can easily load all the skis in before sliding back into place).
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

The main drawback of a cargo box is that many people don't like to drive around with the cargo box on the roof when its not needed, but then they have to find a place to store this big empty box. If you will only be needing it just this once, you might want to consider trying to borrow or rent one.
Agree they are huge. I’ve seen solutions that hang it from the ceiling using a pulley system, and I’ve personally used in a garage this rhino rack linked to Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
The Volvo will require different cross bars than the Outback. Sounds like your Outback has the integrated ones anyway that swing across when you want to use them and then back to "parallel" with the roofline when you don't need them.
Yes these are the bars that my Outback has. I actually owned the car for the better part of five years before even realizing it had integrated swing out crossbars. Saw a YouTube video about a NEW Outback that showed off those bars. Went to check and mine had them too.

XC90 looks to have what Volvo defines as hidden or low profile side rails. Some quick searches implies Thule makes all the Volvo branded hardware.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

My Yakima coffin is universal and will work on any rail round or aero. I can confirm it works on the outback as I have one. Previously had it on aero Yakima rails and have used it on square rails, too.
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
slower than you

Box. But, I never liked the newer Outback cross bars, and four pair plus box is most probably pushing weight limits on those things. But, box is the only way to carry skis. Skis are expensive, and fragile. Doubles as ski storage. Why take them out?

Never ever hitch rack. Look at the back of cars after a storm that turned to salt soaked slush. You want that on your skis and bindings?
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

The specs are published so no need to speculate if concerned about weight while driving or otherwise (tent, sleeping, for example).

They can easily hold my coffin fully loaded with camping gear, which is my heaviest use case, for my model year. The roof rails have a dynamic max capacity of 175 lbs and a much higher static capacity.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; Yesterday at 08:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

The Thule XL box is 51lbs empty.

How much do skiis weight? I know they are more than snowboards but they aren't *that* heavy.

I've had over 100lbs of bikes & wheels on the roof rack my Outback and you don't even notice they are there. You maybe notice a little in really high wind, but the box should be a ton better.
Old Today, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
We ski, most people recommend the boxes, but we ended up with the one of those ski racks, that pops open and. you just clamp them down. I got a Yakima one brand new off ebay for pretty cheap, holds 4 ski's no problem.
We did a ski trip from NY City to Quebec and it was great, I think those (and the boxes), should be able to fit on both the Subaru and Volvo, for reference we put them on a XC60.
In fact for the price, this one seems hard to beat https://www.levelninesports.com/prod...k&gad_source=1

Or if you want even cheaper and don't care about it being slightly "older" you can't go wrong with these. https://www.amazon.com/YAKIMA-Powder...519b0a7e0da3b0
In fact this is the one that I have.
Looking at this option too. Seems to be one of the older Powderhound sets locally for $50. I like how low profile that is and it should play great with my swing out Subaru cross bars. Neither my nor my wife's skis are that nice and the kids skis would be rentals. So the protection of a box may be overkill. Also by being on the roof rather than off the hitch kickup of road grime and salt should be limited.

From a vanity perspective I also just like how my Subaru looks when it has bikes, or in this case skis, showing rather than a black coffin on the roof.
Old Today, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post

From a vanity perspective I also just like how my Subaru looks when it has bikes, or in this case skis, showing rather than a black coffin on the roof.
You paint the box to match the car, of course.

Old Today, 09:53 AM

I use a Thule box. It stays on my roof rack all winter long.

Most of the time I don't even take the skis and poles out of the box.

My car is rated for 100lbs on the roof. I often carry more than that when I use the box for camping.
Just make sure that you max out the distance between cross bars and don't over load the front of the box or it will oscillate in the wind.
Old Today, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Looking at this option too. Seems to be one of the older Powderhound sets locally for $50. I like how low profile that is and it should play great with my swing out Subaru cross bars. Neither my nor my wife's skis are that nice and the kids skis would be rentals. So the protection of a box may be overkill. Also by being on the roof rather than off the hitch kickup of road grime and salt should be limited.

So why not just take your boots with you, and rent all 4x pairs of skis?
You are already renting 2x pair for the kids, and per above, yours aren't that nice, so why not rent them?
Otherwise, rent the kids' skiis once you arrive, and carry your other 2 pair through the ski-hole in the middle of the back seat.
Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
So why not just take your boots with you, and rent all 4x pairs of skis?
You are already renting 2x pair for the kids, and per above, yours aren't that nice, so why not rent them?
Otherwise, rent the kids' skiis once you arrive, and carry your other 2 pair through the ski-hole in the middle of the back seat.
We're planning to rent skis for the kids for the season locally (less expensive than renting in Colorado and we'll probably hit some local hills later in the season). Ours aren't that nice, but nice enough for our skill level and better to avoid the expense of renting in Colorado.
Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quote:
We're planning to rent skis for the kids for the season locally (less expensive than renting in Colorado and we'll probably hit some local hills later in the season). Ours aren't that nice, but nice enough for our skill level and better to avoid the expense of renting in Colorado.
Cool!
Good luck with the roof rack!
Old Today, 11:27 AM
slower than you

Quote:

I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase, Out of sight, out of mind. A box hides your stuff from those prying eyes. And hardly any body messes with them. Quite secure. I hang on a ski forum or two, and the only time I heard of a theft was when an old Subaru was parked in Brooklyn, and somebody just hacksawed the whole Thule bar setup off the roof. It would be a loud and very messy break in if you tried to get into just the box, and would take some time, all of which is anthemia to the petty theft of opportunity.

Even if your skis are on top of the car, they'll get plenty dirty after and hour of driving on a snowy and snowmelt highway. I mean, look at your car after a few days in Vermont with snow, or after a snow. It's a mess.
Thule and Yakima used to sell a roof rack that held four pair clicked together at an angle. I used to use one, and put my skies in a cheap ten to twenty dollar bag before I put them up there, and that worked for protection and some security. Alas, I don't see them for sale anymore. I blame snowboarders. These new flat racks are good for both skies and boards.
Old Today, 11:34 AM

If your skis are rentals and you can get a Powederhound for $50, I say go for it, use it for a season or 2, and if/when you buy some nicer skis then invest in oe of those boxes.
Like I said up-thread, we drove from NYC to Quebec last winter with our skis (2 adult and 2 kid skis, same as you) As cheesy as it looks, I bought these and they actually worked to keep the ski's salt and grim free, though I am sure that they cut down on the aesthetics of the ski roof top look

Last edited by trener1; Today at 12:41 PM.