Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Real or Sus?
Real 98 68.53%
Sus 45 31.47%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
Imagine watching what could end up being the greatest cyclist of all time while complaining he wins too much. Hahahaha

Clearly there are a lot of fair weather cycling fans on Paceline.

He does win a lot on pretty much every type of parcours. He does it with panache and humility. Always the first to congratulate his competitors when they best him.
My post was kinda two parts, is it sus and are “WE” bored with him winning everything.

There’s a two page discussion going on about whether a bike has bad juju and there’s a five page discussion on oversized derailleur pulleys, but no thread on the WC’s. There have been threads on other major races this year or maybe its football (American) season and we can’t be bothered. I mean that Georgia/Alabama game kinda wore me out Saturday night.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:58 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
My post was kinda two parts, is it sus and are “WE” bored with him winning everything.

There’s a two page discussion going on about whether a bike has bad juju and there’s a five page discussion on oversized derailleur pulleys, but no thread on the WC’s. There have been threads on other major races this year or maybe its football (American) season and we can’t be bothered. I mean that Georgia/Alabama game kinda wore me out Saturday night.
I think if you look back at this past race season, you'll see that conversation hasn't been that robust for any particular race I think.. maybe with all the instant access, etc, we just aren't that interested in discussing on here anymore? But I will admit the WCs seemed a bit underwhelming overall.. not sure why..
Old 09-30-2024, 11:01 AM

speculating on whether or not anyone is doping isn't a very fun or interesting game. if one is, many are. the strongest will win anyhow in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
...More importantly (and selfishly) I am definitely bored with him even though I agree with all the positives about him. The current generation of cycling superstars are very fun to watch in general. But I'd love to see it spread around more and for all the top guys to stay healthy in 2025.

PS - Women's racing has been and continues to be more fun to watch the last few years, CX included.
i agree. it's hard not to like pogacar, but, particularly this season, tuning in when he is on the start line almost means you're watching a race for 2nd place. the riders of the peloton know it too. you could see it back in strade bianche, again at the worlds and nearly everywhere in between.

the women's worlds race was more exciting even though NED completely blew it
Old 09-30-2024, 11:02 AM

I think what he did yesterday was something he kind of learned by beta testing it at Strada Bianchi. More so there than yesterday but the same tactic. Put 30seconds into your competitors and they will compete with each other as to who will chase 30 sec quickly turns into a minute. Then he just tt the rest of the race and hope you dont have a mechanical or crash.

Having it in circuits, in my imagination simplified things.

We know that there were no team radio's but the moto's had gap time and definitely there was plenty of info roadside.

Remco, despite his histrionics with Jorgenson et al didn't have the legs. MVDP, admitted that TP went too soon and expected the group for reel him back but the realization took too long. Had he and a couple of others gone with Healy and Skujins they might have caught him. Honestly, I think when Tadje knew that MVDP and Remco were not in the closest chase group he knew it was his to lose.

All this was compounded by the absence of trade teams. The comment in the WC sister thread about WVA has some relevance. It is unlikely he would have won (maybe if it came down to a sprint?) but he would have worked for Remi earlier and kept the gap closer. I'm pretty sure it was Pogacar's race from the get go, I feel like the course was made for him (not literally... or maybe .

If nothing else he has demoralize his competitors and rode the race like a boss.

As for Sus or Not Sus. All the rockstar riders are on "cutting edge supplements" of one sort or another. I seriously doubt any of it is worthy of suspicion on the level of banned substances. I think TP is a generational talent with an insane physiological make up that suits this sport to a T (pun - suspect) his Vo2 max is at alien level and his ability to process lactic acid and train like he does is hard to believe for a 65yo weekend warrior 9me) but watching him kickass is amazing and inspiring.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:02 AM

if you thought the Giro and Tour were boring, quit watching cycling. I would much rather someone be dominant than seeing the people who aren't at the same level "battle it out."
Old 09-30-2024, 11:14 AM
but not really

My opinion:

Pogacar winning all the time is getting boring but it's still better than Remco, Roglic, or Vingegaard winning. Maybe because Pogacar rides aggressively (offense) as opposed to being defensive minded

MVdP winning most of the time is entertaining to me too
Old 09-30-2024, 11:17 AM

With respect to the lack of dialogue around WT races or the world championships... most of the posters here don't even ride bikes anymore and have never followed racing.

There was a post everyday around the tour, the Giro got some love and even the vuelta got some threads.

That's more race talk than I would expect from this place.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Why is it funny/odd? The Giro was boring, the Tour was boring, I think the Vuelta would’ve been boring if he went to it, the last 100 k’s were boring yesterday too. Once he went it was over.

Last year the WC was exciting to watch. Now this year he is clearly the best bike rider on the planet.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around Pogacar being so clearly better on whatever the terrraine is.

I think its ironic that any post on facebook from the cycling publications about Joans is filled with comments from Pogacar supporters saying he’s doped to the gills, but god forbid you question Pogacar.
Simple, don't watch.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:28 AM

Real deal? Sus? Hope he's the real deal! Even fast grandparents on two wheels are sus these days!

Pogacar is extremely entertaining to watch. Now that I'm "that age" where I look back fondly on my youth years. And, when no one is looking, I'll tuck into a "Pogacar aero tuck" and try to maintain 40 kph until I can't!

What a win! Bravo!! (said, sadly, with fingers crossed)
Old 09-30-2024, 11:31 AM

It was fun at first, but now I just don’t bother watching. Don’t care if he’s dirty or not, but there isn’t a sport that thrives on singular domination by any athlete or team.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
As a racing personality I enjoy watching him race, but I am now bored with him and I suspect Paceliners are too. I mean look at the lack of commentary on this past weeks WC’s, its like it was a forgone conclusion and everyone tuned out. He’s just at another level and the gap is huge. I used to think there was no way he could win Roubaix and now I think it’s his race if that’s what he decides to do next year.
As an occasional and fringe Paceliner I’m not bored of Pogacar and in the absence of anything beyond pure speculation I decline to vote.

I’d recommend the Lanterne Rouge Cycling Podcast for a different view of the men’s road race, how it eventuated, why Pogacar went so early, whether he always intended to, and why the chase was unsuccessful. Pogacar probably would have won regardless but several factors played into a successful attack from more than 100km out.

I’d also bet a lot off Monopoly money that Pogacar will not win Paris-Roubaix in the next three years, and probably not this decade, if at all. By my reckoning the last Grand Tour winner to do so was Kelly in 1986, and of the racers who have won as many or more Grand Tours as Pogacar in the last 50 years only Hinault, Gimondi and Merckx also won in Roubaix.

Pogacar is exceptional, but he’s not about to win Paris-Roubaix ahead of MvdP or WvA any time soon, nor set the Hour Record for that matter, according to my opinion.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Simple, don't watch.
You’re right its simple.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
My opinion:

Pogacar winning all the time is getting boring but it's still better than Remco, Roglic, or Vingegaard winning. Maybe because Pogacar rides aggressively (offense) as opposed to being defensive minded

MVdP winning most of the time is entertaining to me too
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think you should re-watch some of the 2023 season if you think Remco and Vingegaard only ride defensively.

I would have loved to see this year's TdF in Jonas and Wout were both in form.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:51 AM

Love it. Total fan. Keep on winning pogi.

I don't understand the hate because he kept going for stage wins at the tour, even though he didn't have to for the overall. It's called racing.
Old 09-30-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
I'm enjoying the Pog show until there is a reason not to. Seems like a nice guy. Unlike whatisname.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Vingegaard's not so bad. Just a little quiet.
That made me actually laugh out loud.

Tags
le dopage, too good to be true