Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2023, 02:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
You might want to double check the sizing, the geometry is a little wonky. I'm normally a 57/58 and according to stack and reach I'd be on a 55.
I'm 5'11" and started life riding size 56/ML bikes. Recently sized everything down to 54/M. Ritchey's size guide recommends a 55 for me (and says that I'd be on the tall side for that!) but the guy on the other end of the phone at Ritchey said 'get a 53'. Also, as you say, the nominal-size-to-actual-fit is deceiving, and most people size down.

So that's what I'm doing.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:09 PM

Sizing

On my 2017 (I think - battleship grey) Road Logic, I am riding a “55”. I typically ride a 56 “ish”. I am 5’11” - 32 inseam. Short torso, long legs.

For other comparisons - and this is my rough recollection from the last time I was in the basement…

All City Mr Pink - size “55” - think this is 55.5cm TT effective
Ritchey Road Logic - size “55” - stated as 56cm TT effective
Colnago C50 - size “58” - 56.3cm TT effective/actual
Spooky Mulholland - size “56” - 56cm effective

Stems are running anywhere from 90mm to 110 depending on the bike.

Good luck - they are great bikes.

m_b
Old 09-29-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
...Where does Ritchey fall in the strata of Mass ProducedIndependent/Custom steel frames? Would a Road Logic be another 'overbuilt to pass safety testing' steel frame, or would it be designed within the more liberated paradigm of independent builders?
I'd love to ride a Ritchey as they're supposed to be great and have a storied history.

I don't think you should get a Ritchey. They are built to pass current standards and that's why the road bikes all have carbon forks. Tom Ritchey has said this in interviews.

Go re-read your steel thread. You need to try the other extreme of steel which is skinny tubes with a 1 inch steel fork. You can find a used custom around here or find an older production bike built with something like Columbus SL or SLX.

I believe in fat tires and finding an older bike that fits big tires can be a challenge if that's what you're into.

Maybe find a Bridgestone RB-1 or RB-2 in your size? Or a Schwinn Peloton?

Like this

or this

or this

or this

or this

or this

or this

or this

Or Definitely this!
Old 09-29-2023, 03:27 PM
Vendor

@truth

I like fat tires too, but this would be a straight up road bike. I'm comfortable riding 25's on dirt if I'm late for work and have to take a shortcut.

I've heard lots of nice things about the Bridgestone RB-1, but the aesthetics don't really do it for me. I'd try it if I found one locally that could be had for a song.

The steel fork is something I'm curious about. I actually really like the way my current 'overbuilt' steel bike feels extremely stiff up front due to the wheels, stem, and bars. And possibly the carbon fork. It's got oodles of springiness in the frame, but when I want to stand, lean forward, and make am uphill push, I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.
I'm wondering how much of that feeling would be diminished by a steel fork...and if it might be replaced by something I like even more...

Ugh, bikes are harsh mistresses.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
@truth

I like fat tires too, but this would be a straight up road bike. I'm comfortable riding 25's on dirt if I'm late for work and have to take a shortcut.

I've heard lots of nice things about the Bridgestone RB-1, but the aesthetics don't really do it for me. I'd try it if I found one locally that could be had for a song.

The steel fork is something I'm curious about. I actually really like the way my current 'overbuilt' steel bike feels extremely stiff up front due to the wheels, stem, and bars. And possibly the carbon fork. It's got oodles of springiness in the frame, but when I want to stand, lean forward, and make am uphill push, I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.
I'm wondering how much of that feeling would be diminished by a steel fork...and if it might be replaced by something I like even more...

Ugh, bikes are harsh mistresses.
What aesthetics are you into?

What do you like about the Ritchey?

What don't you like about a Bridgestone?
Old 09-29-2023, 05:04 PM

Double post.

Last edited by Peter P.; 09-30-2023 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:05 PM

Finding a steel fork to aesthetically match the lower integrated head tube race is going to be difficult. Only the Ritchey carbon fork is shaped to shield the open face of the lower bearing. In that respect I'd say with the Ritchey you'd have to stick with the OEM carbon fork.

The Road Logic is definitely a bargain, and a performance frame at that. When I was replacing my broken road frame I considered a Ritchey Road Logic. Only things that held me back were the carbon fork and the lack of a pump peg.

While many people talk of excessive frame flex, I'll argue that it's not the speed sapper people think it is. And many pro cyclists who were certainly much faster than than we are, road such steel bikes as speeds we can only dream of. Yeah; steel is plenty stiff enough to put down the watts.

All I've ever ridden and raced is steel and can tell you a Ritchey Road Logic, and I'm talkin' rim brake version- is no slouch. Too bad there isn't more competition in the production steel road bike market.

I'd also recommend you perhaps keep your eyes peeled for a used Serotta, Gunnar, Waterford, or Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel.

P.S. I think you would fit better on the 57 than the 55, and the Ritchey rep recommended 53 is crazy small.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:34 PM

Check out George Vargas on YouTube. He owns REV Endurance Sports in San Diego and is an Ultra Endurance cyclist. His fav bike is a 17lb Road Logic. He also owns a mint Serotta CSI.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:39 PM

I'm curious how you land on a 53? What is your saddle height and current road bike/dimensions?
Old 09-29-2023, 06:35 PM

I liked my Road Logic a lot. It was the version before the blue frame. I would have liked it better if it fit a bigger tire. I had DA 9100 and some decent carbon wheels. It was fun, until I found a Hampsten with a steel fork.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:44 PM

Imho lots of awesome used steel frames on here as others mentioned. Serotta, IF, hampsten, etc.

Have you looked at Fairlight for a more modern take on a steel bike?
Old 09-29-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleySteamer View Post
Check out George Vargas on YouTube. He owns REV Endurance Sports in San Diego and is an Ultra Endurance cyclist. His fav bike is a 17lb Road Logic. He also owns a mint Serotta CSI.
that channel is great
Old 09-29-2023, 10:35 PM

I have a steel Ritchey Breakaway Road from 2017, and I love it. It's not the lightest, the stiffest, or the most aerodynamic bike I've ridden (or currently own), but if all I want is to get out for a ride and enjoy how it rides and handles? No question. The extra flex side to side never bothered me, and I used it for road racing in 2018 and 2019 with no issues. For reference, this is an XL frameset (roughly the same or a bit smaller than the current 59 Logic), and I'm 6'4"/185 lb and would regularly put in ~800 W surges in covering moves or even more sprinting in crits.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:38 PM

Some people here are weird about steel forks, but the carbon Ritchey fork is great.

Ritchey frame sizing tend to be on the long reach, low stack end of the spectrum. At 5'11, I rode the 55 size, with some spacers. If you like to downsize, 53 makes sense as long as you can get the bars high enough.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:04 PM

I have always thought the Logic was a great deal on a steel frame.
This year I may jump

I cannot guarantee it but... I am told this is the new color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc4493.jpg (54.8 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg rc4493inserta.jpg (72.4 KB, 457 views)