Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2024, 07:40 AM

I click the pedals under my shoes and have traveled with them. Had to explain before what they were. Wondering if I can take STI levers , but not willing to lose them. Shimano's having a lot of solid metal in them.
Old 08-29-2024, 07:47 AM

The best explanation I’ve ever read of qualifications. Solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Bunch of McDonald's rejects who shouldn't have any legal power of travelers. Le Sigh.

[/url]
Old 08-29-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
The best explanation I’ve ever read of qualifications. Solid.
Really? Calling TSA agents "a bunch of MacDonald's rejects" is an inane and insulting generalization. I've certainly met some agents who seemed sullen or uncommunicative, but it's a very tedious yet important job. I for one am hugely thankful that we have people screening people and baggage to keep our flights as safe as possible, because we know there are plenty of people out there happy to bring guns and knives and batons on board.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
I for one am hugely thankful that we have people screening people and baggage to keep our flights as safe as possible, because we know there are plenty of people out there happy to bring guns and knives and batons on board.
By most measures (misses, false positives, etc), the screening techniques are truly security theater.

Getting a pre-check waiver is trivial and avoids some of the checks.

Yeah, we need some screening. But I'd prefer the rules made sense and the people tasked with enforcing them were trained well enough to do so consistently.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I for one am hugely thankful that we have people screening people and baggage to keep our flights as safe as possible, because we know there are plenty of people out there happy to bring guns and knives and batons on board.
Only, the TSA fails to find weapons and bombs most of the time. Periodically DHS runs tests where undercover agents try to get weapons and fake bombs past the TSA, and TSA only detects a small portion of them - the vast majority get through:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-...ry?id=51022188

There is also no credible evidence that the TSA has ever foiled a terrorist attack.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:59 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Really? Calling TSA agents "a bunch of MacDonald's rejects" is an inane and insulting generalization. I've certainly met some agents who seemed sullen or uncommunicative, but it's a very tedious yet important job. I for one am hugely thankful that we have people screening people and baggage to keep our flights as safe as possible, because we know there are plenty of people out there happy to bring guns and knives and batons on board.
exactly.. there is a lot of ex-military in TSA as they do their second career (most military don't stop working after they retire).. imagine your job is to deal with EVERY flavor/type of person in the various moods that we can be in.. I know I HATE airport travel and am usually not in the best mood as I move through the airport. Now, add on dealing with kids, running late, entitlement, etc and you have a recipe of disaster for any TSA agent when that person has a questionable thing going on..

do a Google search on what TSA pulls out of people's luggage and you might have a better appreciation of the job they do. Are there TSA agents who are complete jerks? maybe on a power trip? For sure.. but I think those are the minority.. these are folks who are doing a job for the greater good and many of them feel they are helping to protect us, the travelers, from folks who would wish to do us harm.. and they aren't getting rich doing it BTW..

pretty sure the Jack Nicholson speech from "A Few Good Men" would be applicable here..
Old 08-29-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I think it's fair to acknowledge the humanity of the people doing the job while also acknowledging that TSA is mostly for show and the system is broken. That's not the line agents' fault.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:01 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
By most measures (misses, false positives, etc), the screening techniques are truly security theater.

Getting a pre-check waiver is trivial and avoids some of the checks.

Yeah, we need some screening. But I'd prefer the rules made sense and the people tasked with enforcing them were trained well enough to do so consistently.

it's always easy to throw shade from the sidelines or armchair..

also, remember that TSA is part of DHS, which is the agency that is always the most controversial for funding the last handful of years.. TSA isn't the reason for the controversy, but they, along with Coast Guard and other DHS components, still suffer the fallout from it..

Last edited by fourflys; 08-29-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:10 PM

Years ago they confiscated my cuticle cutters. Cuticle cutters were to cut the zip ties I used to use to lock up suitcase zippers.
Can't imagine being too effective at hijacking a plane with cuticle cutters but they took them. I just assumed the dude gave them to his wife/ girlfriend later that day.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:19 PM

I checked my plane ticket and it costs $35 to check a bag (Delta) so I just shipped a box 2nd Day Air UPS for $17 (Pirateship, $58 retail!) and now I don't have to check luggage. I gotta fit my helmet and leg brace in my carryon, but worst case I'll wear them!
Old 08-29-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I checked my plane ticket and it costs $35 to check a bag (Delta) so I just shipped a box 2nd Day Air UPS for $17 (Pirateship, $58 retail!) and now I don't have to check luggage. I gotta fit my helmet and leg brace in my carryon, but worst case I'll wear them!
It probably costs more to carry on the bag than check but you save some time I just paid $104RT on frontier to have the privilege of carrying my bag with me.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
FYI, when I travel with a helmet I just strap it to the front of my carry-on backpack. No one has ever said anything and there is always room to shove it in the overhead.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:29 PM

My carry-on included a tripod with removable leg that can be used as a monopod. That's more of a weapon than a seatpost. They never question me. My 11lb camera can be used as a weapon too.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
it's always easy to throw shade from the sidelines or armchair..

also, remember that TSA is part of DHS, which is the agency that is always the most controversial for funding the last handful of years.. TSA isn't the reason for the controversy, but they, along with Coast Guard and other DHS components, still suffer the fallout from it..
It's also the TSA that regularly damages bicycle and other large checked items. The whole process sucks.
Old 08-29-2024, 02:04 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
It's also the TSA that regularly damages bicycle and other large checked items. The whole process sucks.
yep, stuff happens.. I'd be curious out of all the stuff they check, how much is actually damaged... doesn't help when it happens to you, but imagine how many bags/etc are checked by TSA across the nation on a daily basis..