Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2024, 07:49 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I agree on this. Height of hypocrisy. All major sports have embraced gambling and now need it as a major source of revenue. The day MLB signed their first contract with a gambling entity is the day they should have lifted his ban.

Rose can be in after Joe Jackson is in the HOF.
Old 10-01-2024, 07:51 AM
slower than you

https://youtu.be/5a_JrO_USjo?si=C6dI4YyGNe0-QFOl
Old 10-01-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
So Lance gets his wins back when they legalize PEDS at the TDF?
Even if they did legalize now it does not change the fact that that it was cheating then. In that sense is not comparable to PR situation. Similarly, Joe Jackson situation not comparable.

While frowned upon in other sports, its only baseball where gambling is radioactive. Agree about the hypocrisy on the part of MLB. In light of that maybe he will eventually be in HOF when that becomes politically palatable.

Mike, who was going to refrain from comment on the whole HOF thing because its been beat to death for 30+ years and has all been said.
Old 10-01-2024, 09:26 AM

Sad day. There are plenty of bad people in the Hall. Might as well put Pete in. Moralistic grandstanding doesn't belong in sports imo.
Old 10-01-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Now he will be. He was penalized by never given the opportunity of the speech on the lawn. When most of the old vets from his period and a little after die off, they'll reconsider. Especially now that ball parks will be named after phone gambling apps. Height of hypocrisy.
Meh. It's not the same. He bet on his team while managing the team. He also broke the hit record as a player/manager by playing himself at 1B when no other manager would have.
Old 10-01-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
Rose can be in after Joe Jackson is in the HOF.
EXACTLY - touché
Old 10-01-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I agree on this. Height of hypocrisy. All major sports have embraced gambling and now need it as a major source of revenue. The day MLB signed their first contract with a gambling entity is the day they should have lifted his ban.
They do, but they all STILL have rules about gambling on the game. They are still bouncing guys for doing it, so no, sorry.
Unless you are willing to reinstate the entire Chicago White Sox 1919 team, no.
Old 10-01-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quacker2000 View Post
Sad day. There are plenty of bad people in the Hall. Might as well put Pete in. Moralistic grandstanding doesn't belong in sports imo.
You really think that's what it's about? You completely miss how it messes with the game's integrity to have guys betting on the games and worse, games they play in?
Really?
Old 10-01-2024, 10:25 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by quacker2000 View Post
Re: Ty Cobb
Old 10-01-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
You really think that's what it's about? You completely miss how it messes with the game's integrity to have guys betting on the games and worse, games they play in?
Really?
PED users, racists, criminals, etc are all in the Hall. Whole swaths of players are in the hall before the color barrier was broken!! Negro leauge players are only just now trickling in...

I'm not giving Pete a pass for the behavior, and I understand how his actions hurt the integrity of the game. He certainly "did his time". Even watching the recent HBO docuseries, it's clear Pete paid for this mistake for the rest of his life. Never got to move past it and was campaigning for his re-introduction till the end.

But! I agree with the stance that the Hall should be, if nothing else, to tell the story of baseball and sometimes that on the field greatness came with a lot of other junk. To scrub players like Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Arod, Pete, Mcgwire, etc from the hall because they broke the rules and admitted it does a disservice to how we should be able to contend with the history of a complicated game with complicated characters.

The only reason to not include them is pure moralistic gatekeeping for a game that has never had the high ground on this front.

Last edited by quacker2000; 10-01-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:36 AM
Cranky!

R.I.P. Pete Rose, whose baseball legacy speaks for itself.

Halls of Fame are dumb, and the entire induction discourse is a colossal waste of time.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:46 AM

It's all a sham to keep him out at this point IMO.. we're on the road to a new scandal or series of scandals at some point (soon?) that will make the Black Sox and Pete Rose seem like child's play.

We're going to see more teams messing with things, refs messing with things, stat keepers messing with things.

The new form of gambling opens things up for all kinds of subtle nefarious activities that couldn't have happened with old fashioned gambling. Subtle manipulations of statistics that most people won't even catch on too.

It's definitely not just baseball either.. it's coming for the other big ball game leagues too.

Letting some of these people in reduces the hypocrisy I think.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
He was one of the greatest in the game and was at every HOF weekend I attended over the years. He was accepted by all the greats that were inducted as they knew he was one of the greats as well. RIP

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
As a huge big red machine fan and also a fan of the Phillies, I loved Pete Rose - but he signed the agreement that lead to his permanent ban from the sport. He signed to stop any further investigation.

Pete Rose was clearly a guy that would do anything for a dollar.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:54 PM

When Rose bet, he bet on his team to win. This apparently all happened when he was the team's manager. According to him, he never bet against his team or threw a game. As one of the game's hardest players, I believe he could never lose a game on purpose. Where he went wrong was lying about what he did. H.O.F. ? Yes!
Old 10-01-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
When Rose bet, he bet on his team to win. This apparently all happened when he was the team's manager. According to him, he never bet against his team or threw a game. As one of the game's hardest players, I believe he could never lose a game on purpose. Where he went wrong was lying about what he did. H.O.F. ? Yes!
Well, the problem with the "according to him" part is when you say he was a liar two sentences later! First he said he never bet on baseball (a lie), then he said he never bet on his own team (another lie), and then he said he never bet against his team (probably a lie, but he agreed to a permanent ban to end the case).