Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
It turns out the guy did not have a heart attack but his heart did stop due to dehydration and over excursion. I forget what they called it. I just heard from the local PD and he is doing well. They wanted to know if they could post on the PD FB page but im not looking for any recognition, just trying to do the next right thing for humanity these days. The PD did give mine and the other person that helped our info to the person that went down. Maybe he will reach out and say thanks.
awesome. good karma points in the bank for you two. Best Paceline story in a while.
Old Today, 12:30 AM

Good work. You never know when that will come in handy. Regarding CPR in high school, I don't know if it's a geographic or age thing, but I don't recall learning it in HS (1971 grad in San Jose, CA). I also worked as a lifeguard during college. I don't recall CPR as part of Red Cross lifesaving back then, maybe just a casual intro. The only "recertification" I recall during the time I was a guard was swimming 400m in under seven minutes (?) at the start of each term in college. There was no skills practice as I recall.

Things have changed dramatically. I work (again) as a lifeguard part-time at the local YMCA. Though we have only a four-hour per month shift requirement, we have a required two-hour in-service session each month, at which one of the main points of focus is CPR. We have essentially two groups of lifeguards, old farts like me who tend to guard during the day when the other group – HS and college students – obviously can't. I'm away right now (in Italy, rode L'Eroica a week ago, doing the more normal tourist thing now ), but I'll ask what CPR training is available to our HS age guards outside of their Red Cross lifesaving course.
Old Today, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Many useless things taught at school these days.

Robust CPR and first aid, along with practical personal finance would really go a long way to setting kids up for real life.

It is crazy that you can graduate HS knowing how to cut open a frog and trigonometry but not know life saving CPR, basic nutrition information or understand how compound interest works.
That may be true but I wouldnt count basic science and math among them.

Kudos to the OP.
Old Today, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Sigh.

It's probably time for me to take a break from posting here for a while.

This forum is not what it used to be.