Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
For whatever marketing reasons they may have, for the past few years all Campagnolo electronic groups have been labeled "Super Record" - all non "Super Record" groups the past few years have been mechanical.

By the way - anybody have an idea of what the "S" stands for?
“Sandblasted”?
Old 09-07-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillc View Post
I count 48 teeth
You might be right. I count "45" visible teeth. Not sure how many are behind the arm. If it is just 48 front ring, what is different between this and the SRW?

Cheaper?
Old 09-07-2024, 03:19 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What's strange? The name? Maybe, I guess but a wireless group(all wireless, copy to shimano) 'pushed' further down the groupset range.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a Chorus wireless group soon as well...
I meant it's strange that, if indeed this is a less expensive version of SR WRL, why not call it "Record"? I had just assumed, after the introduction of SR WRL, that eventually we'd see Record and Chorus versions (and Ekar).
Old 09-07-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
What's strange? The name? Maybe, I guess but a wireless group(all wireless, copy to shimano) 'pushed' further down the groupset range.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a Chorus wireless group soon as well...
Are you hinting at something?
Old 09-07-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I meant it's strange that, if indeed this is a less expensive version of SR WRL, why not call it "Record"? I had just assumed, after the introduction of SR WRL, that eventually we'd see Record and Chorus versions (and Ekar).
This does seem strange. When the name "Super Record" was first used, it wasn't actually a separate group, it was a few up-performance components that complimented the Record/Nuovo Record group. Even when it became a separate group, it was held up as an exclusive, extra special group, a head above all other groups, for those who wanted (and could afford) elite performance. When Super Record S Wireless is unveiled in a few days, there will be 10 groupsets listed in the Campagnolo catalog (counting disc and rim, mechanical and electronic variants), and 5 out of the 10 will be called "Super Record":

Super Record Wireless
Super Record S Wireless
Super Record EPS Disc
Super Record Disc
Super Record Rim
Record Disc
Record Rim
Chorus Disc
Chorus Rim
Centaur

Currently only groups named "Super Record are electronic. If Campagnolo follows the model of Shimano and SRAM and only produces their high end groups only in electronic versions, will all Campagnolo groups be called "Super Record"?
Old 09-08-2024, 08:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

What I find 'interesting' is when Campagnolo introduced a full wireless group(copy to shimano), the whining about the price(yup, expensive, so is a Rolex)...and so Campagnolo produces a full wireless(copy to shimano), less expensive group and 'OMG, the name!!'....
Old 09-08-2024, 10:09 AM

One more question is, where will Super Record S Wireless be made? There has been a lot of talk about Campagnolo still manufacturing in Europe (not necessarily in Italy, but in other European countrys), but the labeling on the latest components indicate that they are coming from Asia. I recently received some Record 12spd levers, calipers and rotors, and the boxes are labeled as follows:

Quote:
DESIGNED BY CAMPAGNOLO ITALY
MADE IN TAIWAN
So what, if any, Campagnolo components are still made in Europe?

(I'm not complaining, mind you, Taiwan and other Asian companies are more than capable of high quality manufacturing. And it probably makes sense from a business standpoint, especially to streamline OEM sales, given that most complete bicycle manufacturing is also located in Asia. But waving the Italian flag as they move production to Asia seems disingenuous.)
Old 09-08-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
One more question is, where will Super Record S Wireless be made? There has been a lot of talk about Campagnolo still manufacturing in Europe (not necessarily in Italy, but in other European countrys), but the labeling on the latest components indicate that they are coming from Asia. I recently received some Record 12spd levers, calipers and rotors, and the boxes are labeled as follows:

(I'm not complaining, mind you, Taiwan and other Asian companies are more than capable of high quality manufacturing. And it probably makes sense from a business standpoint, especially to streamline OEM sales, given that most complete bicycle manufacturing is also located in Asia. But waving the Italian flag as they move production to Asia seems disingenuous.)
I have a 165mm EKAR crankset, 10-44 cassette and 38T ring -all still in their boxes and they all say made in Italy. The rotors box I have says designed in Italy and Made in Taiwan. No box has the Italian flag on it.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-09-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2024, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

So I guess it doesn't bother you when sram shouts that they are an 'American' company when nothing they make, AFAIK, is actually made in the US?

Or shimano being a 'Japanese' company when a TON of their stuff(most) are NOT made in Japan?

Many, MANY companies do the 'designed in the USA' gig, not just Campagnolo. Like just about every wheelouttaboxes maker.

Primarily the brake components are made 'off shore' but vast majority of 'stuff' for Campagnolo are made in Europe.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
So I guess it doesn't bother you when sram shouts that they are an 'American' company when nothing they make, AFAIK, is actually made in the US?
Has SRAM ever claimed that they were all American made? Surely not, as it is public knowledge they grew from acquisitions both foreign (like Sachs-Sedis) and domestic (like Zipp). And the last I heard, Zipp wheels were still made in the USA.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not bothered so much by products being manufactured in Asia, more when companies try to insinuate otherwise. For example, when Mary Burke (former executive at Trek) ran for Governor of Wisconsin on a platform that she was an expert in business and would bring more manufacturing stateside, when nearly 100% of manufacturing at Trek was moved to Asia while she worked there.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM

Having been underwhelmed by the last couple Campy announcements, I'm going to guess that the "S" stands for silver, as in the silver carbon finish.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:21 AM

i bet the S stands for SRAM...Campag is trying to appease their future overlords
Old 09-09-2024, 10:28 AM

I am looking forward to some new Campagnolo groups

I am running 10, but would not mind an 11-34 12-speed cog set.
Old 09-09-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
By the way - anybody have an idea of what the "S" stands for?
S-pensive
Old 09-10-2024, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Has SRAM ever claimed that they were all American made? Surely not, as it is public knowledge they grew from acquisitions both foreign (like Sachs-Sedis) and domestic (like Zipp). And the last I heard, Zipp wheels were still made in the USA.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not bothered so much by products being manufactured in Asia, more when companies try to insinuate otherwise. For example, when Mary Burke (former executive at Trek) ran for Governor of Wisconsin on a platform that she was an expert in business and would bring more manufacturing stateside, when nearly 100% of manufacturing at Trek was moved to Asia while she worked there.
Has Campagnolo claimed they are all Italian made?

As for Zipp..pretty sure they are 'assembled' n Indianapolis, 'maybe' the rims are made there but pretty sure the hubs and spokes are NOT made in the US.

Pretty sure.