Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Worst loss since the Falklands.
Malvinas.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Thanks for the summary.

I guess Wales + Route 1 shouldn’t be a surprise, as they’ve pulled off bigger achievements in the past (e.g. vs overrated Belgium in 2016). A better manager would have been more proactive.
Berhalter did expect it, he warned the players against it. The problem was the players to be honest. For the most part we dealt with the long balls and aerial duels. The problem was when we won the ball back we turned it over right away numerous times. Several were unforced errors. Not sure that is the manager's fault.

I live in Oregon so by no means a Morris fan but I'm guessing given the physical nature of the game allowed by the referees he may have felt Morris could prosper more than Reyna. I would have tried Reyna.

I don't think Berhalter is great but I do think sometimes it IS the players not always just the coach.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Malvinas.
Only if they had won.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Berhalter did expect it, he warned the players against it. The problem was the players to be honest. For the most part we dealt with the long balls and aerial duels. The problem was when we won the ball back we turned it over right away numerous times. Several were unforced errors. Not sure that is the manager's fault.

I live in Oregon so by no means a Morris fan but I'm guessing given the physical nature of the game allowed by the referees he may have felt Morris could prosper more than Reyna. I would have tried Reyna.

I don't think Berhalter is great but I do think sometimes it IS the players not always just the coach.
That’s a fair assessment.

I guess it comes with the callowness that is expected of such a young team. Good thing that Ream was called in and played in position, as opposed to getting shunted over as a left back and skewered (which happened as recently as isummer of 2021)
Old 11-25-2022, 02:59 PM

Not a bad result - but I was hoping for subs (Reyna and Sargent) sooner.
Midfield played well - and Turner - always show up!
Old 11-25-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Not a bad result - but I was hoping for subs (Reyna and Sargent) sooner.
Midfield played well - and Turner - always show up!
Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Winston Churchill, David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Maggie Thatcher. Oi, Maggie, can you hear me? Your boys has still yet to beat the USMNT!

3 played, 1 loss, and two draws, that's England, England! (to the tunes of Camptown Races)

Honestly, for all the talent at England's disposal, to have three shots on target and zero goals is horrid planning on the part of Southgate.

I'm not at all confident about this game vs Iran. That team is adept at playing bunker and counter, and they can do just that, having three points in the bag.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:53 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Winston Churchill, David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Rishi Sunak, Maggie Thatcher. Oi, Maggie, can you hear me? Your boys has still yet to beat the USMNT!

3 played, 1 loss, and two draws, that's England, England! (to the tunes of Camptown Races)

Honestly, for all the talent at England's disposal, to have three shots on target and zero goals is horrid planning on the part of Southgate.

I'm not at all confident about this game vs Iran. That team is adept at playing bunker and counter, and they can do just that, having three points in the bag.
The boys will be fine. Definitely growing into the tournament.

Iran surprised with the high press against Wales. Won't be able to do that Tuesday. Iran only scored after Wales was down to 10 & still pressed.
Should be a great game. England demonstrated how to beat Iran.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:17 PM

Midfield trio played great. Robinson and Dest pinned the England wingers back for a large part of the game. Played well.

Tuesday will be tough. So be it. Go get'em boys!
Old 11-25-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The boys will be fine. Definitely growing into the tournament.

Iran surprised with the high press against Wales. Won't be able to do that Tuesday. Iran only scored after Wales was down to 10 & still pressed.
Should be a great game. England demonstrated how to beat Iran.
Chances are, Iran can hold out for a draw. Its position is threatened only if Wales beats England.

Then again, I'm told that one of ten corners is usually converted. In that case, the U.S. has a hope that one of the corners can be converted by McKennie.

What was the quality of Pulisic's corners vs. England?
Old 11-25-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Chances are, Iran can hold out for a draw. Its position is threatened only if Wales beats England.

Then again, I'm told that one of ten corners is usually converted. In that case, the U.S. has a hope that one of the corners can be converted by McKennie.

What was the quality of Pulisic's corners vs. England?
Is McKennie the best that can be hoped for on the end of a corner or set piece? Asking because I'm afraid it's true.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:53 PM

General consensus is yes. He’s scored quite a few headers for club and country.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:54 PM

I am very optimistic regarding USMNT chances of winning on Tuesday. They are a young team (2nd youngest in tourney) and are figuring it out - held their own against England and should do even better against a less talented Iran squad.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:02 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I was shocked by the mediocrity of England's play. You sort of expect that from the US - as long as other sports are important as they are in this country we'll never field a great football (soccer ???) team. On the other hand, to see England outplayed by the US for so much of the match, that was a surprise.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I was shocked by the mediocrity of England's play. You sort of expect that from the US - as long as other sports are important as they are in this country we'll never field a great football (soccer ???) team. On the other hand, to see England outplayed by the US for so much of the match, that was a surprise.
Part of the reason England was mediocre is because our trio of midfielders was outstanding today. You aren't the only one who didn't see that, several pundits at the BBC didn't either.

Disagree The US will field a great team sooner than you think ( Especially since you think it is never)
Old 11-26-2022, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
I am very optimistic regarding USMNT chances of winning on Tuesday. They are a young team (2nd youngest in tourney) and are figuring it out - held their own against England and should do even better against a less talented Iran squad.
If Jose’s tactics are classified as parking the bus, then Queiroz’s tactics should be classified as parking a double decker bus with a side of shytehousery.

The MNT has to pass well and bury chances to win. I certainly won’t count out likelihood of Iran pulling a Canada on its way to a 1-0 win…

Last edited by echappist; 11-26-2022 at 12:02 AM.