Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 AM

An incomplete list of the bonkers NBA stuff that happened on 4/9/19

- 39 year old Jamal Crawford dropped 51. Oldest ever with a 50-piece.
- 2 all time legends played their final (home) games and dropped 30.
- Thunder manage to beat the Rockets, holding on to a chance of 6 seed (it would be peak Thunder to lose to the Bucks' JV tonight.)
- Detroit manages to go down 20 points to the Grizz with the playoffs on the line, then come back to win.
- The Magic make the playoffs.
- Steph Curry goes down with a non-contact ankle injury on the eve of the playoffs. Says he's fine, but it's Steph and an ankle...
- Magic Johnson decides he want to be able to tamper freely, resigns in front of the press before telling his boss, holds court on camera for 40 some minutes.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
An incomplete list of the bonkers NBA stuff that happened on 4/9/19

- 39 year old Jamal Crawford dropped 51. Oldest ever with a 50-piece.
- 2 all time legends played their final (home) games and dropped 30.
- Thunder manage to beat the Rockets, holding on to a chance of 6 seed (it would be peak Thunder to lose to the Bucks' JV tonight.)
- Detroit manages to go down 20 points to the Grizz with the playoffs on the line, then come back to win.
- The Magic make the playoffs.
- Steph Curry goes down with a non-contact ankle injury on the eve of the playoffs. Says he's fine, but it's Steph and an ankle...
- Magic Johnson decides he want to be able to tamper freely, resigns in front of the press before telling his boss, holds court on camera for 40 some minutes.
Holy crap! What a day! You think there was some deference shown to Nowitzki/Wade in their final games?

And what the hell is going on in La-La Land? Where's LeBron going next? Or is he the first player/coach since who ... Russ?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Almost forgot...

Anthony Davis shows up for his (presumed) final game in NOLA wearing a "That's all folks!" (think Porky Pig) t-shirt.

When asked after the game what was up with the shirt, this grown-ass adult says "I don't know, someone else picks out my clothes for me, I just put them on."
Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM

The Lakers are weird. They clearly believe in "Lakers Exceptionalism" because they were so good for so long. But instead of using this to set a standard for the work and professionalism required to be good, they've instead decided, as an organization, that they are so exceptional work and professionalism isn't required.

Kinda surreal to watch Magic stand there and say "we are one player away", then watch that one player, a native son who everyone just assumed would be there, bury a game winner in a key playoff seeding game just an hour or so later.

The Lakers need to stop assuming, and get the most media-averse, business-first, cold-hearted operator they can to run the basketball side.

Or not. It's kinda fun to laugh at them too.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Almost forgot...

Anthony Davis shows up for his (presumed) final game in NOLA wearing a "That's all folks!" (think Porky Pig) t-shirt.

When asked after the game what was up with the shirt, this grown-ass adult says "I don't know, someone else picks out my clothes for me, I just put them on."
Just read the box scores for yesterday's games. Another highlight: Doncic (Nowitzki 2.0?) and the likely ROY goes for a triple double.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Playoffs are set!

Reply below with your first round prediction# of games. (i.e. TOR in 6)

East

1 MIL vs 8 DET
2 TOR vs 7 ORL
3 PHI vs 6 BRK
4 BOS vs 5 IND

West

1 GS vs 8 LAC
2 DEN vs 7 SAS
3 POR vs 6 OKC
4 HOU vs 5 UTA
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Playoffs are set!

Reply below with your first round prediction# of games. (i.e. TOR in 6)

East

1 MIL vs 8 DET
2 TOR vs 7 ORL
3 PHI vs 6 BRK
4 BOS vs 5 IND

West

1 GS vs 8 LAC
2 DEN vs 7 SAS
3 POR vs 6 OKC
4 HOU vs 5 UTA
EAST

1) (Assuming Giannis is in) MIL in 4
2) TOR in 4
3) PHI in 4
4) BOS in 6. Should be 4. Why can't the Boys in Beantown get their **** together?

WEST

1) GS in 4. Easiest call here.
2) DEN in 5. Pop won't get skunked.
3) OKC in 5. Kantner is skilled offensively (and I like his outspokenness off the court) but Adams will stymie him. Lillard v. Westbrook should be great theater.
4) Not a fan of "Harden hero ball." But he's gonna get his. Will CP3 ever scale the mountain? OTH, Utah is a very cohesive team. Gobbert is a monster on "D" and Crowder and Favors are great backups. Mitchell is totally ascendent. Joe Ingles looks like the local CPA, but is good for 14-6-5. Korver has never had a hair out of place in fifteen years in the NBA.
I'm going with the (relative) upset: Utah in 6.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:04 AM

East

1 MIL vs 8 DET - Bucks in 4
2 TOR vs 7 ORL - Toronto in 4 (though they do have a habit of losing G1)
3 PHI vs 6 BRK - Philly in 6. Hope whatever is going on with Embiid is not serious
4 BOS vs 5 IND - Indiana in 7. Marcus Smart is a tough loss. I think their defense falls apart without him. This is too bad, because I really wanted PHI/BOS in round 2.

West

1 GS vs 8 LAC - GS in 5. Just because they want to spend another night in LA
2 DEN vs 7 SAS - Denver in 6, though I was really tempted to pick SA here.
3 POR vs 6 OKC - OKC in 6. Nurkic is out, and Kanter is unplayable against a PNR heavy team, which OKC is.
4 HOU vs 5 UTA - Houston in 5. IMO, this is the worst possible matchup for Utah. Houston is the one team that pretty much schemes Gobert out of the action. He will spend most of the series well above the three point line hedging a high screen, stuck in the corner if Houston puts Tucker at 5, or on the bench. The Jazz don't have anyone to stop Harden from cooking, with Exum out.

Last edited by Jaybee; 04-11-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM

I think Utah v Houston is the most intriguing matchup on the list. Followed by Boston v Indy. Indiana is a solid team. They just lack a "bling" factor, which makes them easy to overlook.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
East

1 MIL vs 8 DET - Bucks in 4
2 TOR vs 7 ORL - Toronto in 4 (though they do have a habit of losing G1)
3 PHI vs 6 BRK - Philly in 6. Hope whatever is going on with Embiid is not serious
4 BOS vs 5 IND - Indiana in 7. Marcus Smart is a tough loss. I think their defense falls apart without him. This is too bad, because I really wanted PHI/BOS in round 2.

West

1 GS vs 8 LAC - GS in 5. Just because they want to spend another night in LA
2 DEN vs 7 SAS - Denver in 6, though I was really tempted to pick SA here.
3 POR vs 6 OKC - OKC in 6. Nurkic is out, and Kanter is unplayable against a PNR heavy team, which OKC is.
4 HOU vs 5 UTA - Houston in 5. IMO, this is the worst possible matchup for Utah. Houston is the one team that pretty much schemes Gobert out of the action. He will spend most of the series well above the three point line hedging a high screen, stuck in the corner if Houston puts Tucker at 5, or on the bench. The Jazz don't have anyone to stop Harden from cooking, with Exum out.
LOL, Raptors.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM

LOL, Warriors.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
LOL, Warriors.
Wow. As Bill Walton used to say "That's just embarassssing."
Old 04-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Registered (ab)User

Da hell happened last night?!?!

I watched the entire first half of the Warriors/Clippers game, and with GSW comfortably up 20 points at halftime figured "this one's in the bag" and went to bed.

Wake up this morning, see the final score, figure "oh man, the Google newsfeed Sports section is gonna be chock full of drama!"

Nope. Crickets.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:28 PM

They played most of the season as though they'd be able to "flick the switch" when they needed to, or wanted to. The switch is broken. What planet is KD on right now, Beverley isn't that good a defender or irritant. They'll beat the Clippers, but the Rockets must be salivating.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
They played most of the season as though they'd be able to "flick the switch" when they needed to, or wanted to. The switch is broken. What planet is KD on right now, Beverley isn't that good a defender or irritant. They'll beat the Clippers, but the Rockets must be salivating.
I don’t think the clippers will be a problem I don’t think the rockets will be a problem.

I think the problem is the Bucks.

I think rockets are undermanned but the bucks are the real deal. If they keep playing like this they’ll lose in the finals to the bucks in 6 games