Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellymcfatfats View Post
I did, and I did not.

The shop didn't inspect them either, they just checked to make sure the marked letters were part of the recall and said "we'll take care of it". It was odd, but no complaints here.
I've heard similar reports from other sites. Some shops are taking a very conservative approach and sending all/most cranks to Shimano. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks/months. I'm hoping for an expansion of the recall to officially include ALL affected cranks, whether showing signs of failure or not.

Greg
Old 09-27-2023, 11:59 AM

Moma Mia what a mess. I'd be very appreciative if anyone could answer a few questions:

1) Is there really no record of a "passed" inspection?
1a) If there is a record, does this prevent you from going to another shop if you see damage and the first shop does not?

2) Is there a limit to how often you can get your cranks inspected and how long is this going to go for?

3) Someone on Weight Weenies said you can put Shimano rings on Rotor cranks is this true?

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-27-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harblhat View Post
Under the terms of the current recall, this will never happen. Shops are supposed to do the inspection, and the only way the crank goes to Shimano is if the shop deems it has failed. If a shop knowingly sends an acceptable crank to Shimano under the guise of failure, they risk getting blacklisted.
1. An lbs does not have to partipate in being shimanos front man, it voluntary.
2. Many shops don't want the liability of deciding what to do and will send cranks to shimnao regardless of their condition. It's already been said in this thread from an lbs who was reluctant to partipate
3. You really believe that shimano is going to act in that manner? That would be very bad for them legally. They have FORCED an lbs who chooses to inspect cranks to be liable for future damages.
4. I have a 9100P crankset that I have no confidence in... the power meter is **** and now it might be a tricking time bomb.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Yeah, no.. Where is my service receipt outlining work preformed.

I'll Leave it at that.
Careful... you might be seen as hysterical or irrational for wanting that. 🤣
Old 09-27-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
your expectations are somewhere between hysterical and delusional. I agree Shimano is not handling this in the best manner, but that's not the LBS's fault, and you should probably stop harassing the shop staff and making irrational demands.
Your attitude is a symptom of nit holding shimano responsible for selling defective products since 2012 while they denied warranty claims knowing that their product was crap.
They even quietly made a change to the production to fix a problem that didn't exist.... for 11 years!!!

Do you blame victims and defend drivers who kill cyclists as well? I suggest you reread your own site and see the reaction from people who have posted.

Irrational and delusional for sure, except your looking in the mirror while making these claims...

Pretty sure when the recal is announced for Europe there will be an expanded recall... they have actual product safety laws that protect consumers unlike NA.

As far as your belief that going to an lbs AS INSTRUCTED is harrasing them.... I have no words. You sir are part of the reason we have such **** consumer protection laws.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
Your attitude is a symptom of nit holding shimano responsible for selling defective products since 2012 while they denied warranty claims knowing that their product was crap.
They even quietly made a change to the production to fix a problem that didn't exist.... for 11 years!!!

Do you blame victims and defend drivers who kill cyclists as well? I suggest you reread your own site and see the reaction from people who have posted.

Irrational and delusional for sure, except your looking in the mirror while making these claims...

Pretty sure when the recal is announced for Europe there will be an expanded recall... they have actual product safety laws that protect consumers unlike NA.

As far as your belief that going to an lbs AS INSTRUCTED is harrasing them.... I have no words. You sir are part of the reason we have such **** consumer protection laws.
take a breadth my man. it's all going to be ok.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
take a breadth my man. it's all going to be ok.
Keep exposing yourself.... I'm quite calm. You aren't addressing anything I wrote and instead continue to be a passive aggressive knob.

Have you had a crank fail already? Where you ever denied warranty? I have. Now I want the last one I own to be replaced .
Old 09-27-2023, 12:30 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
Careful... you might be seen as hysterical or irrational for wanting that. 🤣

Call them as I see them. Frankly that post was about the most bovine scatology I've read in a while. So much for Thumper Doctrine I guess...
Old 09-27-2023, 12:39 PM

1. I can quite see why people might not be happy to continue riding a crank that 'passes' inspection, given the documented history of failure, the potentially dangerous nature of a sudden failure, and the difficulty in assessing imminent failure.
2. Asking someone to put in writing what they have clearly stated verbally to you shouldn't, in a commercial scenario, be an unreasonable request, and when someone is unwilling to do so, that's often a red flag.

This absolutely puts the LBS in a no win situation, I quite agree, but I'm looking at this from the perspective of the consumer.

It sucks, but Shimano should just do a flat recall.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
your expectations are somewhere between hysterical and delusional. I agree Shimano is not handling this in the best manner, but that's not the LBS's fault, and you should probably stop harassing the shop staff and making irrational demands.
I certainly see a request for confirmation that a Shimano crankset has been inspected or taken in to be passed on to Shimano as a reasonable expectation.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post

It sucks, but Shimano should just do a flat recall.
I agree with this. Shimano should just replace all cranks covered under the recall, no questions asked. That would be much easier than this LBS inspection dance.

It's highly unlikely that will happen though. There are literally millions of these cranks out there, and I doubt Shimano could even come close to keeping up with supplying replacements for every one of them.

As far as the LBS, the ONLY thing they can make a determination on is the condition of the crankset at the moment they inspect it. Any shop owner who would put in writing that an inspected crank is safe for contnued use without having their lawyer stamp a big fat disclaimer on it is not wise and I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to do that, especially for unpaid work!
Old 09-27-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
As far as the LBS, the ONLY thing they can make a determination on is the condition of the crankset at the moment they inspect it. Any shop owner who would put in writing that an inspected crank is safe for contnued use without having their lawyer stamp a big fat disclaimer on it is not wise and I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to do that, especially for unpaid work!
I agree however shops that continue to work with Shimano or abandan Shimano on this problem can't be this naive to not see there is some level of liability attached to their decision. If I was a local shop, obviously I don't all the in's and out's of the arangements with the replacment process but from the sounds I am gathering, I would make any and all efforts to wash my hands of any involvement in the replacement process and let Shimano directly deal with it.

Shops that are sending every crankset currently good or bad to Shimano in my view are taking the correct action.

Last edited by m_sasso; 09-27-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I agree with this. Shimano should just replace all cranks covered under the recall, no questions asked. That would be much easier than this LBS inspection dance.

It's highly unlikely that will happen though. There are literally millions of these cranks out there, and I doubt Shimano could even come close to keeping up with supplying replacements for every one of them.

It's a really difficult one, I agree.

You could write: "We can confirm that this crankset passed a visual inspection as per Shimano's guidance on [insert date]. This does not constitute a guarantee of future safety" but whether that would appease a customer, or keep you out of court, is dubious.

There isn't a good solution for all parties that I can see.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I agree however shops that continue to work with Shimano or abandan Shimano on this problem can't be this naive to not see there is some level of liability attached to their decision. If I was a local shop I would make any and all efforts to wash my hands of any involvement in the replacement process and let Shimano deal with it.
I completely agree. as has been said, this is a no win situation for the LBS. The only reason that an LBS would participate in this process is to serve the customers.

If I understand it right, if the LBS inspects the crank and does not find a defect, they do not get paid. I'm thinking in order to thoroughly inspect a crankset will be at least 1/2 hour to get it cleaned properly, in the stand, etc. That's all just sunk time. I dont know what the going hourly rate is for shop mechanic, but even if they find a defect and send it in, $75 to remove a crank, pedals, etc, pack it for shipping, ship it, receive a replacement and install it is pretty slim.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:02 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
It's a really difficult one, I agree.

You could write: "We can confirm that this crankset passed a visual inspection as per Shimano's guidance on [insert date]. This does not constitute a guarantee of future safety" but whether that would appease a customer, or keep you out of court, is dubious.

There isn't a good solution for all parties that I can see.
I would totally understand it that was stamped on my Service receipt.