Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I know this is a bit counter-intuitive but if you would humor me a bit, please....

First off, I didn't purchase anything at my local bike shop today but I managed to accomplish something that actually brought just as much, if not more, satisfaction as if I did.

I made a deal with a 78-year-old mountain biker who has his eyes on a brand new KUAT 4-bike hitch rack that he wanted to load up all the bikes and hit the trails with his grandkids.

The rack was going at 20% off because of the Black Friday Sale, which brings it a bit over $1k. So I made an offer to him for my store gift card that has a value of $1,100 for $900 and he accepted it readily. Win-Win!!!

I am just happy to offload the store credit in return for cash. I honestly don't need or want any bike-related stuff right this moment despite all the sales that are going on. I have everything and I say it, not with an air of arrogance, but as if I am making a confession to a priest.

To celebrate the success, I went down a block from the store and hit the trails on my gravel bike even though it was all gloomy and rainy, and had 20 miles of pure wet fun!

Hope you enjoy your new bike rack and riding with your grandkids, George pal!

Well done, Weisan! That is definitely a win-win. How did you link up with George?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 11-29-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I know this is a bit counter-intuitive but if you would humor me a bit, please....

First off, I didn't purchase anything at my local bike shop today but I managed to accomplish something that actually brought just as much, if not more, satisfaction as if I did.

I made a deal with a 78-year-old mountain biker who has his eyes on a brand new KUAT 4-bike hitch rack that he wanted to load up all the bikes and hit the trails with his grandkids.

The rack was going at 20% off because of the Black Friday Sale, which brings it a bit over $1k. So I made an offer to him for my store gift card that has a value of $1,100 for $900 and he accepted it readily. Win-Win!!!

I am just happy to offload the store credit in return for cash. I honestly don't need or want any bike-related stuff right this moment despite all the sales that are going on. I have everything and I say it, not with an air of arrogance, but as if I am making a confession to a priest.

To celebrate the success, I went down a block from the store and hit the trails on my gravel bike even though it was all gloomy and rainy, and had 20 miles of pure wet fun!

Hope you enjoy your new bike rack and riding with your grandkids, George pal!

Excellent and great gesture. Win win is always nice and the gentlemen gets the rack he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2019, 05:28 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_moses View Post
How did you link up with George?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He was at the store to look-see look-see and I had talked to the sales manager earlier to get his permission to approach the customers and he had given me the O-K so it was just a matter of waiting for my prey to come by and pounce!...er...I mean, waiting for the right person to show up at the store. I had approached 3 or 4 customers before George showed up and they all turned down my offer.

But since you asked, a bit more of the backstory... after George and I came to an agreement, we both hopped onto his car and drove to his credit union ATM to withdraw cash. We get to talk about our kids, family, our love for cycling, that he had ridden for 30 years and I had 33, he retired from IBM after 36 years...our nice conversation almost got derailed when he started talking about TRUMP, I can see that he was clearly very upset but somehow I managed to redirect his attention back to cycling....we exchanged phone numbers and said that we will meet up to do some mountain-biking together.

Sorry we didn't get to connect the last time you were in Austin, m-pal. Next time for sure!

Last edited by weisan; 11-29-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:36 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Excellent and great gesture. Win win is always nice and the gentlemen gets the rack he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Rob pal, i still owe you one for the beautiful Colnago C40 you have so generously offered up to me a while ago. Hope you are enjoying the holidays.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Found some Gore softshell bibs and a Giordana jacket for less than I can get it for normally.

M
Old 11-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Barely Hanging On

I ordered supplies for hanging frames on the wall. I think my wife will still count them all as "bikes" even if they are hanging on the wall.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Just 3 used sets of Keo Pedals from another forum member. Perfect timing as it allows me to get the two winter bikes set back up without stealing pedals off another ride.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Three Road Id bracelets. Chain and cassette for my Mtb. Nothing fancy unfortunately
Old 12-01-2019, 09:48 AM

https://www.walzcaps.com/collections...y-black-stripe

I got an email saying they were on sale today sooo..
Old 12-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Kask Protone helmet to replace my old Protone. Black friday sale haha
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM
#RYFB

Tires & tubes restock, given that:

- on Friday, the Veloflex on my Ottrott that I had managed to milk for 2K miles after a rock cut the tread on one of its first rides finally gave up the ghost;
- on Saturday a rock cut straight through a Vittoria G+ on my Duende (I had no business running those tires, not to mention latex tubes, with all the post-storm debris on the roads).

Had some Panaracers ready to go for the Ottrott (28 on the rear!), but took advantage of BF to pick up some Conti 5000s.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:22 PM

Partaking in some of the deals:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ornot_barbag-2_2000x.jpg (33.1 KB, 387 views)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:52 PM

A pair of these bad boys for my 2019 Tom Kellogg.
Attached Images
File Type: png Hed Jets.PNG (138.9 KB, 330 views)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 AM

PEdalED Jary shorts.
I wanted some baggy shorts that have a more trim fit with lighter fabric (not hot). These are them. Should be ideal for commutes, casual rides and mtb.

Instagram
Old 01-07-2020, 08:47 AM

New road project!