Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 12:52 PM

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
There are a lot of new issues in the bond space. Lowes, Humana and Mastercard all coming today. If you want to help cash up companies see if you can buy the new issuance.
I shop at Lowes often so would love to invest and support them. I will get on etrade on my next work break to see how to do that
Old 03-24-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Doin better today....
glad to hear !
Old 03-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
There are a lot of new issues in the bond space. Lowes, Humana and Mastercard all coming today. If you want to help cash up companies see if you can buy the new issuance.
What sort of yields do they have, and how are they rated?

The whole thing about the ballooning corporate debt makes buying individual bonds somewhat unpalatable. But then again, debt holders don’t get wiped out the way stock holders do in a restructuring. Grim times
Old 03-24-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I shop at Lowes often so would love to invest and support them. I will get on etrade on my next work break to see how to do that
Honestly if you want to support Lowe’s go shop there.
Unless you have $10 million or more to buy the bonds with.
Otherwise you’re an irrelevance.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
What sort of yields do they have, and how are they rated?

The whole thing about the ballooning corporate debt makes buying individual bonds somewhat unpalatable. But then again, debt holders don’t get wiped out the way stock holders do in a restructuring. Grim times
Jim, I just got the memo over the last 24 hours, maybe you didn't get it yet. The Fed is now backstopping everyone. Owners of equity have nothing to worry about. The Fed put is in force. Market is an elevator, with just one direction, UP baby!
Old 03-24-2020, 01:47 PM

I already shop there

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Honestly if you want to support Lowe’s go shop there.
Unless you have $10 million or more to buy the bonds with.
Otherwise you’re an irrelevance.
multiple times a month. Every plant in my yard, every home project, light bulbs etc. Maybe I'm alone in wanting my investment to make a difference to a company I already support. If enough others did likewise, it might matter.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Why is the dow shooting back up today?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Perhaps because we've learned that everything will be returning to normal by Easter?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Stimulus plan looks like it may actually happen.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:02 PM

is it odd?

Quote:
The Fed has stated they will back all corporate debt.
Congress appears they will pass a large bill that ensures much of the workforce and companies are underpinned through this.
The President's recent comments show priority to the economy (even if that is walked back, it still gives incentive to FED and Congress to do WHATEVER it takes to make people and companies whole through this). My prediction is that in less than a week it will probably dip again when we hit some arbitrary # like 300 or 400 people a day dying, and the reality of how bad this is, and will be, will breakthrough the magical thinking taking place in the heads of too many. I wish I had a brokerage account to short things. One could probably do okay doing buys and shorts on DIA with each news cycle/Presidential COVID brief. Future dips I think are likely when actual numbers come in showing local (unemployed) and global (corp earnings) effects.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
The Fed has stated they will back all corporate debt.
Congress appears they will pass a large bill that ensures much of the workforce and companies are underpinned through this.
The President's recent comments show priority to the economy (even if that is walked back, it still gives incentive to FED and Congress to do WHATEVER it takes to make people and companies whole through this). My prediction is that in less than a week it will probably dip again when we hit some arbitrary # like 300 or 400 people a day dying, and the reality of how bad this is, and will be, will breakthrough the magical thinking taking place in the heads of too many. I wish I had a brokerage account to short things. One could probably do okay doing buys and shorts on DIA with each news cycle/Presidential COVID brief. Future dips I think are likely when actual numbers come in showing local (unemployed) and global (corp earnings) effects.
the thing is, the reports out of China are already grim. And if those reports were juiced up (as the CCP is wont to, though i'm not sure if 25% decline looks all that much better than a 30% decline), it would be even more grim. Why "the market" does not think earnings would be affected in a similar fashion elsewhere is beyond me. Then all the sudden, when an official, retrospective number drops, then everyone starts the selling?

A lot of the "stay-the-course" investment is hinged upon the so-called Efficient Market Hypothesis, which states that asset prices reflect all available information. The info is out there, but it would just appear that information re: certain things is willfully ignored until it can't be, and then mass panic...

That is not to say to time the market at all times, but it does make me wonder if it wouldn't be wise to at least arbitrage the risk...
Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM

OT - Dow plunges 1,175 - worst point decline in history

Quote:
My prediction is that in less than a week it will probably dip again when we hit some arbitrary # like 300 or 400 people a day dying, and the reality of how bad this is, and will be, will breakthrough the magical thinking taking place in the heads of too many. I wish I had a brokerage account to short things.
I agree.
A stimulus or whatever does not provide the end game for this pandemic. It is a stop gap for the economic distress that is happening now. This pandemic will still be happening and worsening until we figure out a way to get past the actual disease...and the economic distress will likely outlive the current federal aid package. What then...

Instagram
Old 03-24-2020, 03:35 PM

Good points above. I just can’t believe anyone thinks the end is really in sight for this thing, hence my confusion about the Dow this morning. Magical thinking indeed. I wish I could be more optimistic.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:38 PM

Dow Soars 2,113 (11.4%) - best point rise in history

Last edited by Tony T; 03-24-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
POTUS just said it was because he said that America will be open for business by Easter.
Really, he did just say that.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, stonks, vertdoug for fed chair, wealth, yen carry trade