Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
So I own a 2000's Seamaster that I absolutely love. I wore it daily with pride. It felt good. And I felt good wearing it.

6 months ago I purchased an Apple Watch. I haven't worn the Omega since.

This morning I open this thread and I think to myself "I am going to wear my Omega today." Two seconds later I come to my senses. " I can't wear the Omega, I have to close my rings."

Damn, Apple got me addicted to data. Is there a pill for that?
I had a nice drawer of interesting/vintage Seikos, including three Sumos, before I started running and got a Garmin.

Now I haven't worn a non-data watch for more than maybe 20 minutes in the past six years. I've sold a couple of the Sumos, and am slowly selling off the others (if only I could remember all the details...some were stock, a couple were custom...).

Just happened to change the NATO strap on my Fenix 5 today, from a deep blue nylon to orange. I also have a leather strap for it, but don't like it as much as the nylon straps.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 09-12-2023, 08:37 AM

I did a State of the Collection today (because the wife is away on business) and quickly realized that 18 watches is way too many for me.

I had 1 "nice" watch for 25 years before I added anything new and then during the past 5 years I have bought/worn/not-worn/sold more than 30.

If this was your current collection: What would you keep? What would you sell?

Anything in the top 3 rows is for sale. I would also consider selling the Seiko SKXA35 (yellow), SKX011 (orange), or Seiko x Blancpain Fifity Fathoms (black) homage if the price is right.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 09-12-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:39 AM
Administrator

cant quite make it out - what's the coke GMT in the third row?
Old 09-12-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
cant quite make it out - what's the coke GMT in the third row?
San Martin 0109 Tudor BB GMT Pepsi "homage" but no rivets on the bracelet, smaller, thinner, and I added the adjustable bracelet.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 09-12-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:44 AM

IWC Spitfire Crono Bronze

Been wearing this one lately.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:08 AM

I'm just happy the small watch is coming back into fashion. I am pretty happy < 36mm and no way do I need a monster 45-50mm watch.

I think smaller and more refined is the way to go.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I'm just happy the small watch is coming back into fashion. I am pretty happy < 36mm and no way do I need a monster 45-50mm watch.

I think smaller and more refined is the way to go.
I think it depends and I am glad there are now more smaller and larger options. If shoes, shirts, pants, and other items come in multiple sizes to fit people of different sizes why not watches too?

As a person with a 7-3/4 wrist, most watches <39mm look silly on me. And, the stock leather/rubber/textile straps are never long enough. Bracelets often work for me because they usually come on sport/dive watches and tend to be longer.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:24 AM
I need you cool.

What are thoughts on Jomashop as a place to buy a watch?

Thinking about a new watch and the Longines Legend Diver caught my attention.....maybe an Omega Seamaster if I want to stretch the budget.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
They have a reputation as a legitimate, high-volume, grey market seller. You will not get a manufacturer's warranty.

(I have not purchased from them yet, but would do so, for the right watch at the right price.)
Old 09-20-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
They have a reputation as a legitimate, high-volume, grey market seller. You will not get a manufacturer's warranty.

(I have not purchased from them yet, but would do so, for the right watch at the right price.)
This is about correct. Joma issues their own warranty with new stuff. Warranty Link
They give Longines a 2yr warranty.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I think it depends and I am glad there are now more smaller and larger options. If shoes, shirts, pants, and other items come in multiple sizes to fit people of different sizes why not watches too?

As a person with a 7-3/4 wrist, most watches &lt;39mm look silly on me. And, the stock leather/rubber/textile straps are never long enough. Bracelets often work for me because they usually come on sport/dive watches and tend to be longer.

I agree with this. I have the same problem. I bought the Rolex SeaDweller 43 last year and the size is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2023, 03:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

Thinking about a new watch and the Longines Legend Diver caught my attention.....maybe an Omega Seamaster if I want to stretch the budget.
I have at least one piece from them. As pointed out above, they are gray market, so no manufacture's warranty. Other than that, they're fine.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
So I own a 2000's Seamaster that I absolutely love. I wore it daily with pride. It felt good. And I felt good wearing it.

6 months ago I purchased an Apple Watch. I haven't worn the Omega since.

This morning I open this thread and I think to myself "I am going to wear my Omega today." Two seconds later I come to my senses. " I can't wear the Omega, I have to close my rings."

Damn, Apple got me addicted to data. Is there a pill for that?

Ha ha! I've got a handful of different mechanicals that I love, but my every day watch is a Garmin Visoactive. I just love the fact that it's accurate to within a second, and the readout is BIG, so I can see the time without my glasses! It seems that I'm falling out of love with "watches." At one time I really wanted to learn how to service mechanical movements, and I bought the tools, but my hands shake too bad for that. I do have a timesetter box, to adjust my mechanicals for accuracy. I've got most of them down to just a few seconds per day. It's great fun to tinker, but when it comes to telling time, you can't beat a modern electronic watch!
Old 09-20-2023, 08:57 PM

I always like to talk watches. I've been through the stages of watch collection.

Though undergrad, grad school and law school I wore a Seiko mechancial chronograph my father gave me.

I then entered the world of higher end Swiss and German mechanical and probably bought, sold or traded 50 of them, usually for a profit. I then realized that what I had was a box of expensive jewelry and sold them. I will say that from that stage my first, the Bond wave dial Seamaster was my favorite.

Next stage was dive watches divers actually wore when divers still wore dive watches. I still have and still wear 2 Tunas, an Arnie, a Turtle, first Citizen digital depth meter and a second gen Echoazilla.

IMG_6365r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

But a couple of weeks ago, I had to have this Japanese cool G-Shock.
IMG_7162 by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 09-21-2023, 10:01 AM

I always had a thing for Breitling. This is a circa 1990 Navitimer Chronograph that belonged to my dad. The discoloration on the face wasn't always there but adds a vintage patina that I quite like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0277.jpg (58.7 KB, 96 views)

Tags
braceline, man bracelet