Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2024, 01:01 PM

The technology is so elegant: Ethernet vs CANBUS, redundant drive by wire, made in USA 4680(0) multi-tabbed collector cells, 240VAC output, 2 factor authentication, removable side mirrors, venting trenches in pack floorpan, efficient AC and permanent
magnet motors, redundant computers, improved manufacturing with castings and mating of pack+seating into body shell. Exterior styling is of less interest to me, much like elaborate paint on bikes.

Add: 48VDC accessory harness

Last edited by Carbonita; 06-30-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:46 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Sometimes people need to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future...
It's very difficult to be confident predicting the future, but it's a layup that the Cybertruck ain't it.

And kudos @osbk67, that made me LOL.
Old 06-30-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
You’re comparing a structure that resulted from an international competition of the world’s preeminent architects, built to provide a feeling of welcome and light and new ways to see a familiar environment, and built for a worldwide audience, to a nominal pickup truck designed for a few well-off buyers who value bulletproof sheeting and driver-focused exclusivity over other people who exist outside the vehicle.

Both are angular, but they are very different visions of the future.
I picked I.M. Pei's Pyramid not only because it was angular, but because it elicited such strong feelings of outrage when it was unveiled 35 years ago, similar to the outrage the Cybertruck elicits today.

Now the Pyramid is considered something bold and brave, "built to provide a feeling of welcome and light and new ways to see a familiar environment" as you so aptly describe.

It'll be 2059(!) in 35 years. I think in 2059 the Cybertruck will be remembered as a similarly bold and brave statement that led the industry down new paths. (Remember how weird, weird, weird the Model 3 interior looked with that one big screen on the dash? Now everybody has that, and it's *normal*. It will be fun to see what develops!)

Last edited by dgauthier; 06-30-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 07:48 PM

No...just, no

Quote:
I picked I.M. Pei's Pyramid not only because it was angular, but because it elicited such strong feelings of outrage when it was unveiled 35 years ago, similar to the outrage the Cybertruck elicits today.

Now the Pyramid is considered something bold and brave, "built to provide a feeling of welcome and light and new ways to see a familiar environment" as you so aptly describe.

It'll be 2059(!) in 35 years. I think in 2059 the Cybertruck will be remembered as a similarly bold and brave statement that led the industry down new paths. (Remember how weird, weird, weird the Model 3 interior looked with that one big screen on the dash? Now everybody has that, and it's *normal*. It will be fun to see what develops!)
Old 06-30-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
no...just, no
lol!
Old 07-01-2024, 06:57 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
Seen a few out on the east end of long island. I think they're outrageously ugly, but I'm mainly offended by how these particular drivers seemed incapable of not driving like assholes.
Probably searching for handicapped spots to park diagonally in.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:19 AM

I recently saw an SUV I didn’t recognize, out of the corner of my eye, on my way to the grocery. I made a mental note that I would stop on my way home and take a look at it, as it was very visually striking (in a good way) and I was curious who makes it (we’re somewhat in the market for a new family hauler).

On my drive back, nearing the place I spotted it…a CyberTruck appeared in my rear view mirror and it completely broke my train of thought. All I could think about was how ugly the thing is, how out of place it looks, etc.

Drove right past the thing I actually cared about! It turns out that I had spotted the 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe, which is now at the top of our list of possible next vehicle.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:29 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla_Jr View Post
It turns out that I had spotted the 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe which is now at the top of our list of possible next vehicle.
We recently bought a '16 Santa Fe Sport(a few inches shorter than a Santa Fe) with only 50,000mi for our 17yo- hoping the lower miles will help ensure it gets thru the next 5 years with little to no serious unexpected costs.
Ive driven it a few times and had it been for sale when I bought my '23 Subaru Crosstrek, I may have just bought the Santa Fe for myself and saved an insane amount of money.
When testing the '16, I drove a '24 Santa Fe since I had 20min to kill at the dealer. Initial reactions- its a really nice vehicle. Good fit and finish, materials are on par with what I would expect at the price, engine has a power range that makes sense(vs my Crosstrek that sometimes searches for what gear it wants to be in and delivers power at odd times), etc. The body shape of the Santa Fe is also good.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The one big screen is one of the worst missteps in auto design in the past decade. In fact, I bought my car precisely because it didn’t have an iPad on the dash. Tesla has a knack for solving problems no one asked to be solved, managing to create new ones on the way. It’s extremely short-sighted, bungling, and bad design work.

But hey, don’t take my word for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/23/o...eens-cars.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/10/s...h-screens.html

https://uxdesign.cc/to-the-surprise-...s-bcd360f7becf

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-theyre-worth/
Old 07-01-2024, 09:32 AM
Sunshine

Cybertruck-
I have seen em 5 or 6 times in my metro over the last 6 months. It isnt the same one each time- one had dealer plates, one had a douchy custom plate, and one had a regular plate that was noticeable since it wasnt the douchy plate.

It is so incredibly ugly that it stops whatever conversation you are having when you see it. There is a pause, you then have to comment on how ugly it is, then you get back to the conversation after shaking your head in disbelief.

I hope my metro continues to be too small and too limited in wealth, so these largely stay away.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:03 PM
#RYFB

Wait until one passes you while you're on your bike, it's a whole nuva leva.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:10 PM
Boeuf Chane

So here's the question:

How many people who've posted on this thread would trade their current daily driver for a brand new CT straight up, with the caveats that you had to keep it for 5 years and drive it as much as you would normally drive your current car / truck / SUV?

In my case, absolutely not.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:39 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
Old 07-01-2024, 06:41 PM
#RYFB

For me it's a preposterous proposition, for so many reasons. I'm honestly not sure how much money you'd have to pay me to agree to that deal, but it's a lot.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:47 PM
Administrator

The garbage can lid meme there is so good. Really got a laugh out of me on that one.

Tags
incels, muskrat