Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2020, 01:55 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post

FWIW I like this one a bit more... simpler lugs, external top of top tube brake routing as the man intended, and the most updated House-designed graphics package. I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed though.
I like the first better (but then I had a considerable investment in that one). Actually, I'd take this one, cause it would fit me better and I like the more modern dropouts, but with the '07 paint job and the internal brake routing ; )
Old 12-19-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariw View Post
Cinelli king zydeco, try to set it up as backup road bike and gravel. Have 2 wheel sets, mostly potenza kit, but haven’t had any time to get started on the build.

These cinellis look interesting.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That's awesome. My experience with carbon and overbuilt steel forks is the same. Fitz is quickly moving up on my list of builders to consider for a rando project. Of course I dig what he did for Mrs. Cools and Henry W., but other ones I've seen have been great too. Mostly I just want the excuse to go down there and ride.

For the Fizik tape, I recently tried one that was similar thickness to what you have there, but more sticky. I really like it. Especially with winter gloves on.
Don’t think I’ve tried the tacky stuff, it was bondicush or some other weird name like that.

For what it’s worth, John was an absolute pleasure to work with.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:42 PM

Today I had the Jake the Snake being sorted out. This is my main winter ride and has been hanging in the garage since last winter. Tuned her up and then took it out for a lazy 25 miles. Good times.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
You’re a madman!

Small victories, but I did the first ever wrap job that I’m mostly pleased with. I’m absolutely terrible at it.

Also fitted my new steel fork to my Seven, as well as some wider, shorter reach bars.
Is that Shimano PRO handlebar tape? I just had a run-in with that stuff on a re-wrap last night. I now officially hate that stuff! Never again. Sticking to my Red Monkey Sports Big 40 that I've used for years now. Never shoulda been tempted by sale wrap even if it looks nice in the box...
Old 12-19-2020, 07:10 PM

Finished this one up today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Finished this one up today.
Damn. I have work stand, shop, and (esp) tool box enve. Well played homie.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Is that Shimano PRO handlebar tape? I just had a run-in with that stuff on a re-wrap last night. I now officially hate that stuff! Never again. Sticking to my Red Monkey Sports Big 40 that I've used for years now. Never shoulda been tempted by sale wrap even if it looks nice in the box...
Sounds painful! It’s fizik soft touch. A long time favourite.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Damn. I have work stand, shop, and (esp) tool box enve. Well played homie.
This is at the local shop. I get to use this stand pretty frequently! I wish my home workshop was half as nice!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Yooooo. How the hell did you find 2 Sachs in your size in the same color in such a short period of time?

FWIW I like this one a bit more... simpler lugs, external top of top tube brake routing as the man intended, and the most updated House-designed graphics package. I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I like the first better (but then I had a considerable investment in that one). Actually, I'd take this one, cause it would fit me better and I like the more modern dropouts, but with the '07 paint job and the internal brake routing ; )
No need to pick favorites, they're both awesome. I put just shy of 80mi on the newer one today and it was buttery smooth and perfect - loved being back on Campagnolo too, and standard gearing. I can't wait to ride the other once it's finished too. Double the fun. I do need to take more pics of both and start their own threads..

Last edited by Clean39T; 12-20-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:53 AM

Who first called Campagnolo ‘Campy?’ Wish they could retract it and erase it from human memory
Old 12-20-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Who first called Campagnolo ‘Campy?’ Wish they could retract it and erase it from human memory
No idea. But just for you, I changed it to long form. Sad cringe no more
Old 12-20-2020, 06:58 PM

3Rensho

Almost done. Pretty happy with the build.

Cleaned and re-greased the Sugino headset. Replaced the towering top-nut. Cool as it was, just didn't look right. Might still get a JIS Dura-Ace cartridge. Sugino looks and feels good for now.

Stem, I think I will keep. It complements the lines well. Had a Nitto lugged quill 110mm in my watch list for a couple days. Really didn't think this frame was going to arrive. When I did show up, I clicked on the still available buy it now for the Nitto... no go. Someone bought it just before I clicked! Thought that was kinda funny.

Stole the bottle cages from my Giordana. Not as good a match for this frame, but pretty good.

Cables, bar wrap and adjustments, I'm good for spring!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201220_192941_resized.jpg (149.8 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-20-2020, 07:04 PM

I actually picked up this Giant TCR Advanced SL disc frameset the other day. I'm using the HED/White Ind wheels and R9120 group from my Swiss Cross to get this built up. It's a sad day to take apart a steel gravel bike for a carbon road bike but I've been really sad about not having a road bike since an accident a few months back, but I always feel bad riding steel through winter and I really would like a race bike for crit season if it happens next year. This is a great candidate for that. I had a few other plans lined up but availability got in the way. under 16.5 lbs with disc and 28mm tubeless tires is very cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1861.jpg (128.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 12-20-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Wait, you mean I shouldn't call these Campy Brifters?