Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
There's a reason that recalls exist, because within a broad classification of products produced, in this case, 0.59% are likely to have a defect, and it's more cost effective and less time consuming to replace all of them outright rather than trying to fight each individual person's claim that their product is damaged or not.
I agree, but that is not what Shimano is doing.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:52 PM

I'll ask a silly question.. has anyone been able to confirm if we, with our Ultegra cranks, get a new left crank arm at the same time as the drive side is replaced? Or do we end up with a mismatch?

Last edited by Forza20; 09-24-2023 at 06:17 PM. Reason: amended
Old 09-24-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza20 View Post
I'll ask a silly question.. has anyone been able to confirm if we get a new left crank arm at the same time as the drive side is replaced? Or do we end up with a mismatch?
I think it’s very unlikely they will expect people who spent Dura Ace money to be OK with mismatching crank arms.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:57 PM

Class Action

Likely
Old 09-24-2023, 07:05 PM
Randomhead

Good thing I have a backup bike. I'm sort of surprised anyone that posts here would admit they didn't, because that's showing disrespect for N+1
Old 09-24-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I'll ask a silly question.. has anyone been able to confirm if we, with our Ultegra cranks, get a new left crank arm at the same time as the drive side is replaced? Or do we end up with a mismatch?
You do get a whole new crankset. BUT it might have different rings or length depending on what they have when they replace them.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:11 PM

This is a weird situation.

I have a relatively new R9100 crankset that is on the recall list. Obviously I don't want to swap it for some mis-match crankset that may or may not fail again. Also pay the penalty of extra weight and hassle.

Those who have an old crankset that could use a new rings.....have all the incentive to get it replaced.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
This is a weird situation.

I have a relatively new R9100 crankset that is on the recall list. Obviously I don't want to swap it for some mis-match crankset that may or may not fail again. Also pay the penalty of extra weight and hassle.

Those who have an old crankset that could use a new rings.....have all the incentive to get it replaced.
They'll be sending a new crankset, not just the single side.

"The new crankset uses the latest construction and bonding techniques. There will be slight cosmetic differences from the original crankset. In some cases the exact specification may not be available."

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...ll-notice.html

At the end of the day the "inspection" being placed on shops is ridiculous to be honest. In the same way that a customer has brought in a crashed carbon frame to be assessed, mechanics are in no way qualified to make the assessment unless it's extremely obvious (such as cracks) or completely in pieces.

Having worked with Shimano, among a lot of other mfg's in the past for warranty issues and similar, the vast majority will err on the side of caution in replacing a part, both trusting your judgement as a mechanic, and to maintain goodwill with the customers.

In respect to this recall, if a customer brought in their cranks because they were concerned that they were recalled, and could fail at any time, I would make the effort on their behalf to make sure that the crankset gets replaced.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I wonder how Shimano would feel about the [gasp] aftermarket chainrings?
I have an Ultegra 8000 crankset that is on the recall list, and run 46/30 AB chainrings as well.

Will these rings fit the replacement cranks?

Cause I sure as hell ain't going back to 50/34 lol.

SPP
Old 09-25-2023, 05:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I have a crank that is on the recall list. If the dealer that inspects it determines that it passes the Shimano inspection procedure, and if I feel that I would rather have it replaced, I will write to the dealer and ask them to place in writing that the crank is "safe for continued use". If the dealer refuses to do so (and I could not reasonably imagine any dealer who would ever provide such a letter) I would then thank them and write directly to Shimano-contacting them may prove a challenge. Is David Pfieffer still President?. Does anyone have direct email address for top/ key executives at Shimano USA? I have seen the video that Shimano has provided its dealers- a detailed, daunting, inspection procedure. It clearly appears that the onus placed on the dealers is too high and unfair. Shimano should simply provide any customer the option of having their crank replaced- if that is what they prefer. This is best for the dealer, the customer, and the Shimano brand- long and short term. I could not see car dealers inspecting a component that is on a recall list and then saying to the customer" We could not find any definite fault, go ahead and drive your car, you'll be fine". The approach Shimano is taking is incredibly short sighted, negligent, and just plain dumb.
Like button..remember the Pinto and Firestone tire debacle? Sounds similar. Cheaper to go this route, and deal with law suits, than just replace any and all cranks effected via the number/letters on the crank arm.

LOTS of pressure on the LBS..If it were ME, I'd just send them all to Shimano, let them figure it out.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post

In respect to this recall, if a customer brought in their cranks because they were concerned that they were recalled, and could fail at any time, I would make the effort on their behalf to make sure that the crankset gets replaced.
Hopefully it works that way. Reading upthread it sounds like the process is:

1) end user inspects their own crankset, if they think there is a problem bring it to LBS

2) LBS inspects the crankset, if they agree there is a problem, send it to Shimano

3) Shimano inspects the crankset, if they agree there is a problem, replace crankset, if not, return old crankset to customer.

I would be furious as a customer if I went through all that trouble and got the thing sent to Shimano, and weeks later just got my old crank back. Are they still going to pay for LBS labor if they decline the recall replacement?
Old 09-25-2023, 02:04 PM

BikeRadar has an interesting article on this subject. Coming from a mainstream website, I find it's candor refreshing.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/o...call-analysis/

I particularly liked this comment:

Tommy Barse, owner of Cutlass Velo in Baltimore, Mayland, believes Shimano is asking too much of shops for the $75 fee.

“An inspection involves greeting the customer, getting their information, removing and cleaning the cranks for inspection, producing documentation and photographs and… submitting information through a portal on the B2B site with nine fields,” says Barse.

He believes “$75 is a slap in the face”.

“I’ve always thought Shimano viewed bike brands as their priority, whereas SRAM and Campagnolo view the rider as the customer.

“As a result, [Shimano’s] baseline approach to warranty and customer care are vastly different,” he says.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 09-25-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
BikeRadar has an interesting article on this subject. Coming from a mainstream website, I find it's candor refreshing.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/o...call-analysis/

I particularly liked this comment:

Tommy Barse, owner of Cutlass Velo in Baltimore, Mayland, believes Shimano is asking too much of shops for the $75 fee.

“An inspection involves greeting the customer, getting their information, removing and cleaning the cranks for inspection, producing documentation and photographs and… submitting information through a portal on the B2B site with nine fields,” says Barse.

He believes “$75 is a slap in the face”.

“I’ve always thought Shimano viewed bike brands as their priority, whereas SRAM and Campagnolo view the rider as the customer.

“As a result, [Shimano’s] baseline approach to warranty and customer care are vastly different,” he says.

Tim
If a shop has to remove the crankset for an inspection, does that mean they will remove or take apart the bottom bracket (bb) cups too? Or can they remove the crankset without taking out the bb?

If they have to remove the bb, will they get reimburse for putting it back together, e.g., cleaning the threads and repacking the bearings with grease?

In my case, when I wiped my ultegra crankset down, it appears to be fairly clean with no visible cracks. However, I do have noise/creaks when I stand on the bike. Is it that the bb needs rebuilding or perhaps it is I'm a heavier rider or it just might be my crankset is close to failing....it really is unknown?!

But like what others have pointed out, what if it "passes" inspection, then a year or two later, it breaks while riding?! Who is responsible then? The shop? Shimano? Me?!

I know, Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2023, 03:45 PM
Randomhead

Shimano bb cups don't need to come out to pull the crank. I can't see why any shop would do that.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:27 PM

Received this message from Canyon earlier today:

"Hello Steve Braun,

We are contacting you regarding a recent recall of Shimano 11-speed bonded Hollowtech II road cranksets on bikes produced priot to July 2019. According to our records you have purchased a Canyon Bicycle which may be affected. [If you returned your bike for a refund or your bike did not come with a Shimano drivetrain, you may disregard this email.]

LOL, I'd have thought Canyon would know the bike they sold me didn't come with a Shimano crank.