Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Weird how the most dangerous tool is so lovable. But bamboo? Mine is alive and only ms. machete will do.
Actually, there are many different types of bamboo. I have two types: 1) the reed like type that is about 3/4" in diameter and easily cut with a machete and 2) the tree like type 3" in diameter, almost solid and very dense.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:12 PM

Swing...and a miss

Tried my new 28mm veloflex corsas with sps sidewall protection on my old and newly murdered enve 3.4’s. Front tire doesn’t clear the caliper

Oh well, standby 25’s are on the way (also sps now).

Pretty happy with how they look on the ciocc, tho, and I can’t wait to ride it to see how they perform.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

Pretty happy with how they look on the ciocc, tho, and I can’t wait to ride it to see how they perform.
That's a beautiful bike.

I am mechanically inept, so this is quite the accomplishment for me. Built a wheelset with bitex hubs, kinlin xr26t rims, and pillar spokes. Swapped out the hideous tiagra cranks and bottom bracket for Velo Orange square taper and 46/30 cranks.

Here's the bike in grocery getting mode. 10 pounds of meat in the front bag!

Just needs a few finishing touches when the bike shops re-open to cut the steerer tube and fender stays.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:54 PM

19.8lbs as you see it.

Not bad for a 1996 frame.

Could easily lose another pound or 3... But this was a cheapskate durable rebuild. Plus I could stand to lose ten times that amount!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2020, 04:01 PM

I have a couple of old frames hanging in the rafters (Olmo's, Davidson's, Gios..etc) and decided to see what I can do with them. Pulled out the storage boxes full of parts and will cobble together some rides.

First up is a Raleigh International beater that I'll turn into a bar hopper with some campy cyclocross cranks and rear derailleur only, 10sp freewheel, old campy wheelset and a flat bar, xtr shifter, cork grips. It will be a Frankenstein.

Last edited by macgee; 04-12-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgee View Post
I have a couple of old frames hanging in the rafters (Olmo's, Davidson's, Gios..etc) and decided to see what I can do with them. Pulled out the storage boxes full of parts and will cobble together some rides.

First up is a Raleigh International beater that I'll turn into a bar hopper with some campy cyclocross cranks and rear derailleur only, 10sp freewheel, old campy wheelset and a flat bar, xtr shifter, cork grips. It will be a Frankenstein.

I had a few Raleigh Internationals, they were nicely specced and rode well but I kept breaking them.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:21 PM

That rear seatstay/dropout, though

Forgot about that setup on those. But heck, I had frosted tips back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
19.8lbs as you see it.

Not bad for a 1996 frame.

Could easily lose another pound or 3... But this was a cheapskate durable rebuild. Plus I could stand to lose ten times that amount!

Old 04-12-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I had a few Raleigh Internationals, they were nicely specced and rode well but I kept breaking them.
How did you like the ride?

Good to know about breaking and not surprised, the frame is not heavy and there's huge allowance for big tires and fenders. It's far from a tight compact frame design making brake choices limited, no campy brakes for this bike. I have an old set of Mafac "Racers" that I'll probably clean up and use on it. The frame came all camp'y but weinmann center brake (now missing).

This bike will be for neighborhood booze hopping so if it breaks, the walk won't be too long and parts will go onto the next frame (Olmo) gathering dust in the rafters.

Last edited by macgee; 04-12-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=macgee;2695277]How did you like the ride?

Good to know about breaking and not surprised, the frame is not heavy and there's huge allowance for big tires and fenders. It's far from a tight compact frame design making brake choices limited, no campy brakes for this bike. I have an old set of Mafac "Racers" that I'll probably clean up and use on it. The frame came all camp'y but weinmann center brake (now missing).

This bike will be for neighborhood booze hopping so if it breaks, the walk won't be too long and parts will go onto the next frame (Olmo) gathering dust in the rafters.

It was a pretty soft ride, I suspect it was due to the light tubing, probably why they kept breaking. I think the target was a more mature less aggressive rider Raleigh finally said "no more frames", hahaha, it was a good run though. It was never a catastrophic failure though, just a "hey that's a funny sound" or "that doesn't feel right". Enjoy the bike! Jealous about the Olmos, I have a weak spot for '80s Italian frames
Old 04-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
That rear seatstay/dropout, though

Forgot about that setup on those. But heck, I had frosted tips back then
The cantilever dropouts are super stiff under your seat.... Not a particularly comfortable ride by any means. I'll likely keep it for shorter steeper rides on smoother tarmac (or on the trainer.)

Old 04-13-2020, 03:30 PM

My main project is to keep my 2 and 4 year old boys away from my wife while she is working from home, lol.

But, when they are asleep, I have decided to finally tackle this, a 1973ish Cinelli Speciale Corsa that I picked up six (!) years ago. It is rough. Really rough. I think it was left out in a field for a few years but thankfully everything was well greased and the only thing that is not usable are the wheels, the skewers are seized inside the hubs.

The previous owner had it set up as a commuter and those reflective stickers on the stays and fork are proving to be a real pain in the neck to remove but I think they will budge eventually. And yes, that is half a rear fender on there and you can see that there is also a kickstand too.

I ride a 58 but I think I can make a French-fit gravel type thing, we shall see how it goes.

Last edited by jet sanchez; 04-13-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
I have decided to finally tackle this, a 1973ish Cinelli Speciale Corsa that I picked up six (!) years ago. It is rough. Really rough. I think it was left out in a field for a few years but thankfully everything was well greased and the only thing that is not usable are the wheels, the skewers are seized inside the hubs.
Thats an awesome frame, very jealous.

Dont write off the wheels just yet, you might surprised that the hubs are still good. Grease will harden rock hard like glue after sitting and mixed with pollutants seizing the part but still protects the insides from rust/pitting. Just soak them for a while (if possible) with a degreaser/Penetrating Lubricant. Don't try to turn the wheels by force until theyre un-siezed and cleaned, that will hurt them. Clean the bearing surfaces and use new bearings (1/4"?). Do the same to the spoke nipples, use patience and let the penetrate do its job and you'll be very surprised what you can resurrect. I make a good living off grease that has turned into rock hard glue.

Last edited by macgee; 04-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
I ride a 58 but I think I can make a French-fit gravel type thing, we shall see how it goes.
Let me know if you change your mind. (I'm sure I'm not the first person ready to relieve you of it.)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Let me know if you change your mind. (I'm sure I'm not the first person ready to relieve you of it.)
+1,

I think you're right, that bike is no longer any good and needs to be disposed of; why go through all that hassle of removing those stickers as I'll take it off your hands and as a favor I will even pay for the shipping

Last edited by macgee; 04-13-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:02 PM

I robbed some parts off of my Sprint to build up the Tarmac framest I posted earlier in this thread. I rebuilt it with some 105 r7000 bits. This will still be my race bike if races ever start up again. Also I am still dialing in the Tarmac. I put a budget Prime wheelset on until I can afford to build up a set I really want. Also swapped the Praxis crankset for an Ultegra. Oscar wanted in on the pictures also.

Jake

Tags
diy