Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
maybe XXtwin can shed some light on this one:

i want to know what gyms are doing for their employees?

most who belong to a gym are probably in the same boat as me. your membership fees are auto charged to a CC every month and that's that. now that my gym is closed for the foreseeable future, i'm not about to demand a refund, unless they are not paying their employees through the downtime.

it would be a huge profit windfall for a gym to continue to collect membership fees and not pay employees right?

anyone know? i'm planning on asking my gym just this question.

i'm happy to continue to pay my monthly fee if the staff is still on the payroll.

My health club is closed at the moment. They sent an email saying that they intend to pay their employees and kindly asked the patrons to choose no refund, a 50% refund or a full refund. The bottom line is they are asking the customers to fund their employees during the close which I get but also they can get a 30-year small business loan to bridge too.

"Our goal is to continue employment and pay our Associates their wages and health insurance during the time that services are suspended at our clubs. We are attempting to maintain a certain amount of revenue coming in from our loyal membership base to cover a fraction of the pay for our front-line Associates—housekeeping, service providers, front desk staff, and managers—to support their families. After considering quite a few options, we would like to propose the following three:

Continue to pay full dues during the time that club services are suspended
Pay 50% of your monthly dues while club services are suspended
Pay $0 dues while club services are suspended
"
Old 03-18-2020, 07:27 PM

The hardest part for our household has been the kids (5 and 3) who're home from a cancelled daycare. The wife and I both work in sales and have managed to methodically plan our days : "ok I have 8, 10 and 1 o'clock con calls".........cool I can reschedule my 10 and do 11, 12 and 3".

i don't know how daycare/preschool's do it. It's absolute mayhem.

We've manged so far, but this system is not sustainable. I think we are just going to start burning through sick days and do a "one day I work, the next she works" setup.............
Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 PM

You gotta have faith...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
I've lost all faith in the human race.
I've lost faith in our systems ability to effectively respond to this crisis, but I haven't lost faith in humanity.

I've been going into work every day (run IT that supports all the WFH folks) and on my way home every afternoon I see parents walking with their kids, families playing basketball in their driveways, kids exercising with their parents, and generally safe interaction between neighbors. It's a lot like it was when I was a kid before cellphones, computers, the internet, etc.

I also see communities coming together to support each other. Concern and action for those whose jobs are being affected. Care for those who are sick.

People can do really stupid things like hoarding TP, but they can also be thoughtful, caring, kind, and generous. I still have faith.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
My health club is closed at the moment. They sent an email saying that they intend to pay their employees and kindly asked the patrons to choose no refund, a 50% refund or a full refund. The bottom line is they are asking the customers to HELP fund their employees during the close which I get but also they can get a 30-year small business loan to bridge too.

"Our goal is to continue employment and pay our Associates their wages and health insurance during the time that services are suspended at our clubs. We are attempting to maintain a certain amount of revenue coming in from our loyal membership base to cover a fraction of the pay for our front-line Associates—housekeeping, service providers, front desk staff, and managers—to support their families. After considering quite a few options, we would like to propose the following three:

Continue to pay full dues during the time that club services are suspended
Pay 50% of your monthly dues while club services are suspended
Pay $0 dues while club services are suspended
"
I like AngryScientists response better, with all due respect. Also was missing a word in your response, so I fixed it.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 03-18-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
maybe XXtwin can shed some light on this one:

i want to know what gyms are doing for their employees?

most who belong to a gym are probably in the same boat as me. your membership fees are auto charged to a CC every month and that's that. now that my gym is closed for the foreseeable future, i'm not about to demand a refund, unless they are not paying their employees through the downtime.

it would be a huge profit windfall for a gym to continue to collect membership fees and not pay employees right?

anyone know? i'm planning on asking my gym just this question.

i'm happy to continue to pay my monthly fee if the staff is still on the payroll.
I consider this nothing short of Patriotic. Small businesses, particularly service businesses such as restaurants, gyms, and arts venues, are being fuc*ed really hard right now.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Since we're talking about gyms, the one I use at work shut down on Tuesday, so I'm debating whether I should join a "commercial" one (a few are still open) or just exercise at home. I'd much rather do it at a "real" gym, but obviously the risk of catching something there is higher than at home, where presumably it's zero (since I'm single).
Old 03-18-2020, 10:26 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

Very good point raised by AngryScientist.
My monthly gym fee is auto-billed to my CC.
I will need to check that those good folks continue to be paid.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:49 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Since we're talking about gyms, the one I use at work shut down on Tuesday, so I'm debating whether I should join a "commercial" one (a few are still open) or just exercise at home. I'd much rather do it at a "real" gym, but obviously the risk of catching something there is higher than at home, where presumably it's zero (since I'm single).
Probably pretty much a gyms will be affected pretty soon. 24 Hour Fitness has closed and it appears that’s nationally.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 AM

The latest for us is curbside pickup or delivery only at our local local/organic market. Can no longer enter the stores. You call in your order or fill out an online form. I am a lot more comfortable with this than going into stores.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:20 AM
Administrator

This just got a little more real for me. A large tech company, that have quite a few employees locally, reported a case of coronavirus. I have a friend who works there and I was around this friend this weekend
Old 03-19-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
That's a hard 'NO. Follow the lead of every nation who is aggressively tackling this, even if yours isn't. Going to a commercial gym right now is not just dangerous to you, it is dangerous to every single person that you encounter for the other 23hr of the day that you are not in that gym.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
My son and I do Supermarket refrigeration service and repair for a large company so my son and I are considered "Essential".
Stay safe (as safe as you can!)

My daughter has similar exposure...she works with kids with autism and her company still has her doing home visits...she's seeing 2-3 kids a day in their homes. The effing company is doing nothing to protect her...no calling ahead to confirm whether anyone in the house is sick. And she works in a relatively high risk area (Stamford, CT).

She's hourly, so if she doesn't work she doesn't get paid. I'm hoping that the state will tell her company to stop soon, so that she gets furloughed.

It just doesn't make any sense to have people going from one house to another right now... <sigh>

And if she does get sick, as parents, what do we do...stay away and protect ourselves? Go and sit by her bed?
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 03-19-2020, 06:56 AM

Covid-19 creeps a little further in every day.

My wife is the administrative assistant at church; full time position. Until the "no gatherings larger than 50" decree is lifted there will be no Sunday services or any other events. This will no doubt be accompanied by a noticeable decrease in giving. A little over half give on-line, the rest are check/cash in the plates. They're expecting the check/cash to go away entirely, and the on-line to drop a little, as well. We typically take in a fair amount more than the budget, so they can pay normal wages for a couple pay periods. Everyone's been told, if this continues longer than that, to expect to go to part-time (50%) wages, and if it continues, at some point no one will get paid. Understandable. Times will be difficult for a while.

So, things are lining up to possibly hit us in the pocketbook. Still, I'm sure my family is better shape than many, so thankful for what we have.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbone View Post
I've been going into work every day (run IT that supports all the WFH folks) and on my way home every afternoon I see parents walking with their kids, families playing basketball in their driveways, kids exercising with their parents, and generally safe interaction between neighbors. It's a lot like it was when I was a kid before cellphones, computers, the internet, etc.
There is a silver lining here, we just need to have an awareness of it.

Last edited by thwart; 03-19-2020 at 07:02 AM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 03-19-2020, 07:03 AM

Something extraordinary is happening here. It´s political but also about human resillience. Our president has a daily appearance where in front of his accolades he mocks his opposition always in a confronting way. After his entourage arrived from the US w/ 17 people infected, the president kept saying covid was hysteria and media conspiracy while shaking hands w/ the public in a far right rally.
Yesterday a video was released where a young black man, a haitian, confronts a president surrouded by militaries. I checked it to see if it´s a hoax. Seems it´s not. Like a prophet, the haitian tells the president in his heavy accent: it´s over, you are infecting brazilians, you are no longer the president. The president mumbles go back to your country. There is a lot of haitian migrants here running away from the most miserable nation on the planet.
After one year of being humilliated by far righters offending journalists, artists and scientists and no action from any political parties, brazilians woke up w/ the haitian and repeat his words everywhere. This far right presidente was supposed to win the next election. NOw it seems unlikely dur to Corona and the spontaneous reaction of the people.
People can be racist, selfish and refuse to learn but also mysteriously brave, generous, willing to take risks, change history.