Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2019, 06:56 AM

I have a 2016 BMW S1000R but, for some reason, the new Triumph Speed Twin really grabs my eye. The S1000R really has way more power than I can ever use on the street.

Tim
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 AM

^ thats pretty nice
im glad the 'alien insect' design fad seems to have finally passed and many of the newer designs are looking like proper motorcycles.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 AM

The current herd.

2012 Aprilia Tuono V4, 1982 Yamaha XV920R, 1988 Canadian RZ350. It keeps the mosquitos away...
Old 03-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
im currently having my annual should i sell my moto or not inner-debate
I know it's blasphemy in some circles, but I made the plunge OUT of the motorcycle world about 4 years ago. The ride to deliver the bike for the sale hurt a good bit. I, quite literally, couldn't help with loading it up on the trailer where me met and needed to leave/not watch it leave. Absent that moment, it's been much easier than I imagined.

To my mind, it's a very personal decision...

For me, life had changed.
I flipped the bike and used the proceeds towards another vehicle to accommodate our son reaching driving age. It gave me enough that I felt like I could get something more "fun" than I would have otherwise justified (an 04 BMW 330xi with the Sport Package).
A few years later we bought a convertible (05 BMW Z4) and though it's not the same thrill or feel as the bike, I actually prefer it from a company/flexibility point of view. My wife was never keen on riding the bike with me, but the two of us enjoy frivolous nice-weather coffee or ice cream runs and such. Plus, she drives it nearly every day as her vehicle, so it sees a lot more use (as we park the most utilitarian and least fun vehicle when the driving can be more fun).

Again, YMMV, but I thought I'd offer an account of someone that transitioned with far less struggle than I had imagined.

And, at some point down the road, if the itch comes back, I imagine I'll scratch it again
Old 03-03-2019, 12:57 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
I'll take the one in the back please.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I'll take the one in the back please.
398cc, ported, matched, etc. Ohlins, Race Tech in the fork, FZR calipers. Completely mechanical restored.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:12 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
398cc, ported, matched, etc. Ohlins, Race Tech in the fork, FZR calipers. Completely mechanical restored.
Holy *$#(&^! that's awesome. My first streetbike was '75 RD350 that was bone stock when I purchased it; it ended up with expansion chambers and ported.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Descent fitness

Readded an R1 to the stable a while back. It’s a 2006 LE, one of 500. Marchesini mag wheels, Ohlins suspension. Lovely, lovely bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD2126ED-DC9F-4210-B574-C163EEE1B4AB.jpg (110.0 KB, 311 views)
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Cat 6

I sold this VFR750R in 2008 and went green to race push bikes. Amazing sound, amazing bike! Wish I still had it.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 AM

In high school (circa 1970) I had a full-on mid-60s Yamaha 250 race bike for a short time registered on the street. It was oil-gas mix fueling, and had the old clutch on the end of the crankshaft IIRC, which blew up in races rather frequently. My memory of details is hazy but it made a horrible sound you could hear coming miles away, from the expansion chambers. No torque or power in the low-mid rpm bands then it camer on like a rocket.
My next bike was also a 250, a Ducati Scrambler, and that's the bike I wish I still had, out of all I've owned.

Ended my moto career at age 50 when I found myself doing stupid stuff on my last bike, a Suzuki SV650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Holy *$#(&^! that's awesome. My first streetbike was '75 RD350 that was bone stock when I purchased it; it ended up with expansion chambers and ported.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2981 (1).jpg (141.1 KB, 271 views)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I have 2 bikes in the barn: a 2004 R1150RT and a 2007 Husqvarna TE250/450.

The Husky's been sitting for a few years now while I decide which of the 2 engines to rebuild. It hasn't been a pressing issue 'cause there's not a whole lot of DS riding near me. I'm leaning towards rebuilding the 450 'cause it makes for a better street engine.

No pics of either...

M

edited to add: I drove to Johnson City, TN in Dad's 95 S320 to get the TE. Took the lower back seat out, took the bars and wheels off the TE and the PO and I shoved it in the back of the car. Drove home that afternoon and reversed the process. Whoda thunk you could shove a moto in the back of a Benz?!
Old 03-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Readded an R1 to the stable a while back. It’s a 2006 LE, one of 500. Marchesini mag wheels, Ohlins suspension. Lovely, lovely bike.
This is very slick! (And the VFR750R below it is also pretty fantastic)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I have 2 bikes in the barn: a 2004 R1150RT and a 2007 Husqvarna TE250/450.

The Husky's been sitting for a few years now while I decide which of the 2 engines to rebuild. It hasn't been a pressing issue 'cause there's not a whole lot of DS riding near me. I'm leaning towards rebuilding the 450 'cause it makes for a better street engine.

No pics of either...

M

edited to add: I drove to Johnson City, TN in Dad's 95 S320 to get the TE. Took the lower back seat out, took the bars and wheels off the TE and the PO and I shoved it in the back of the car. Drove home that afternoon and reversed the process. Whoda thunk you could shove a moto in the back of a Benz?!

Ha,ha thats pretty funny traveling with a dirtbike in the back of a car but really why not? I actually thought about doing that with a motorcycle that I am rebuilding the engine of a 75 Yamaha RD250. The bike had a terrible oil leak coming from the drive side, not sure which seal as there is like four of them and it had lean running issues. Not sure of that either as I never bothered to do a leak down test. I just spent roughly 1600$ on parts to rebuild the engine. I've never done this before but there's a lotta videos on the subject and I am armed with a Clymer service manual. Currently I have the engine out of the bike and stripped of the top end both side covers and pretty much ever part in between those and the engine cases. Just about ready to split the cases but trying to clean them up. Wish I had access to a vapor blasting process as it would really make them look like new. Well I could send them out but all I really wanted to do was fix it and ride and enjoy it with it's original barn find patina. It's funny how one can get carried away with a project but there is a right way and a wrong way and something in between I guess. I figure worst case scenario if I can't put this engine together right then I will take all the boxes and tupperware containers with parts plus the new parts to a vintage bike resto shop that's four hours away from me. I was going to do this initially but it just seems like this is one of those bikes that if your gonna own it then you have to be willing to work on it. Luckily like you I have a more modern, reliable bike to ride in the meantime. But yeah it really doesn't seem to far fetched to box up a bike in a car provided said bike is reduced to parts.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
I sold this VFR750R in 2008 and went green to race push bikes. Amazing sound, amazing bike! Wish I still had it.

Isn't that a pretty rare bike? and valuable? I love that Rothman's paint scheme, reminds me of Tamiya models when I was a young teenager.

Last edited by gemship; 03-04-2019 at 08:17 PM.