Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
https://wheeltop.com/products/eds-bicycle-derailleur offers 7 to 13-speed compatibility.

Yep, but not available in the USA. Something about SRAM patents...
Old 05-17-2024, 06:12 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
But also, there are no shortage of new 11-speed mechanical group sets for rim brakes out there, I doubt the group set thing is really what's holding people back.
I have built up 2 bikes using a Sensah 11 speed group. Both are 1X. With almost 1K miles on them I have nothing negative to report. To go up 2 steps on the cassette requires a long lever swing but once you know it, it functions fine. Think the last group I bought was $170+/- off aliexpress.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Yep, but not available in the USA. Something about SRAM patents...
AliExpress
eBay

Everything is available, if you really want it.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. With the move to disc brakes and fat tires, the old fashioned road bike is no longer desired. I know people with older carbon bikes that are having a hard time selling them.
I just sold this today for $450. Younger guy late 20s-early 30's. Took it for a short test ride and came back saying, "Sold"! I hardly ever have someone walk away once they actually come and see a bike. My bikes are always well sorted out and looking their best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9381.jpg (124.5 KB, 205 views)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I only know one person that collects nice old bikes. He lives alone in a studio apartment, and the living room has about 20 vintage bikes in it. Probably go to the landfill when he passes on. Sad to think about. Google, "nobody wants your stuff," I think it applies. Even l'eroica seems to be a bit passé, but maybe I'm just not clued in to such things.
Sounds like me

As long as I ride them all that's all that matters to me. My kids know what to do with them if something unplanned happens. None will be trashed, that's for sure.

When I fully retire I'm going to narrow the stable down a good bit and just concentrate on my first love, just riding. But right now it's a lot of fun "discovering" all these great old rides. Heck sometimes I'll get a sweet newer one even like the Pacenti no one jumped on here. It's been a real joy to ride out on the road despite having a geo way different than all my other bikes.

Several of my vintage steel bikes have gone to mechanics at the LBS that does some of my work. A lot of those younger guys truly seem to enjoy the vintage bikes too despite having access to the latest and greatest. We may not get crazy money for this old beauties but I think there's still plenty of people that appreciate them.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:23 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I wonder if there will ever be a vintage carbon bike market?
I feel like it's going to be a very small market. I imagine that a famous bike with good provenance might be collectible. My example of why you might not want to buy any old vintage carbon bike: I was on a really long ride with someone, and they started worrying about their carbon frame because they had developed a creak. They stopped with about 10 miles left. I looked at the bottom of the down tube/head tube joint, didn't see anything, made fun of them, and convinced them to finish. Then they tried to drop me. I forget what the creak was, but I recall it was one of the usual non-serious sources of creaks.

This bike was maybe 10 years old. I have 50 year old steel frames I don't worry about at all. The psychological burden of wondering what some bozo did to a frame a decade ago would weigh to heavily on me. I don't ride anything that doesn't give me complete confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Sounds like me
I take it you have some that aren't shown, but this guy lives in a smaller apartment and I'm pretty sure he has more bikes. He has one of those double decker stands that bike shops always used to have with about 10 bikes on the top row. And more underneath and surrounding the rack. It's an impressive display, but really difficult to get most of the bikes out to ride. Should take a picture someday. At least it's possible to get past the bikes to get to the kitchen. But there's no place to sit. His collection of vintage parts is pretty impressive too, there is a cabinet along one wall that's packed.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-17-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I just sold this today for $450. Younger guy late 20s-early 30's. Took it for a short test ride and came back saying, "Sold"! I hardly ever have someone walk away once they actually come and see a bike. My bikes are always well sorted out and looking their best.
That is one sweet bike! And the price was basically fairly low. In my in mind the price is indicative of what these older bikes will sell for. Many sellers overprice their bikes and they sit there. You can buy a new "modern" bike for a low price these days given all the sales. Used rim brake bikes will sell - if priced right.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
That is one sweet bike! And the price was basically fairly low. In my in mind the price is indicative of what these older bikes will sell for. Many sellers overprice their bikes and they sit there. You can buy a new "modern" bike for a low price these days given all the sales. Used rim brake bikes will sell - if priced right.
Yep, part of my ad was to mention it was the best priced one in the local ads. Once I've enjoyed them for awhile I'm more that happy to pass them on at what I feel is a reasonable price. I pretty much lose money but to me that the cost of playing and I'm fine with it.

I think my bikes would sell easier if folks didn't have to drive so far from the main towns to get to me. Just another part of the sell equation for me. Of course, it's not that uncommon for me to drive 2-3 hours to get one I want being sold "locally".
Old 05-17-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post

I take it you have some that aren't shown, but this guy lives in a smaller apartment and I'm pretty sure he has more bikes. He has one of those double decker stands that bike shops always used to have with about 10 bikes on the top row. And more underneath and surrounding the rack. It's an impressive display, but really difficult to get most of the bikes out to ride. Should take a picture someday. At least it's possible to get past the bikes to get to the kitchen. But there's no place to sit. His collection of vintage parts is pretty impressive too, there is a cabinet along one wall that's packed.
Oh yeah, I try to keep things limited so that I can get any bike out or off the wall easily. If I have to move more than one bike to get to another I have too many. And yeah, I have room in my house to have several bike caves like this but that's too insane even for me, LOL!
Old 05-17-2024, 07:50 PM

I just bought this same bike for my friend (late 40’s) that wanted to try road biking. He loves it! Got it for $450. It’s a sharp looking bike and he swears thin tires are faster

Quote:
Old 05-17-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, if you ask a really reasonable price for a good bike in good condition, it will almost always sell to the first person that looks at it.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Giuseppe and Luigi Daccordi have been making bikes for close to 90 years - and I bet because they love bikes.

I love that they'll make a bike like that -harking back to a day when both he and his father rode.

I would also say they make a whole line of bikes, from carbon, steel, aluminum and titanium. All at a reasonable cost. And many with Luigi's hands involved. A bike for everyone. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm familiar with them being an older brand etc. and no issue with them selling these I just wonder how many and who buys them.

Not critical, curious.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I did pretty much the same thing last year with a Bridgestone I bought from an older gentlemen.

People on here haven't heard of xbiking? I feel like vintage steel bikes are sorta in right now in the millennial crowd, granted you can get them for cheap.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:39 PM

The vintage market has evolved: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306926
Old 05-18-2024, 04:52 AM

Quote:
And that is a good fair price for a bike that looks new. I think people think they should get lots of money just because of a name or an age.

This comes to mind - pains me to see it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18643421096...3Avlp_homepage