Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2023, 10:46 AM
Two wheels good

I also have three that are on the recall list. My neighbor had a set of 9000 DA warrantied by Shimano when they broke a year ago.
I'm not super comfortable about the whole thing as the last thing I want to worry about on a sprint or power climb is my crank deciding to splinter. A few years ago I had a slight shoulder separation when a Shimano chain broke on a standing climb and I was thrown sideways onto the pavement.
I would be cool paying a reduced price for new cranks even if mine "inspect" as being okay. As someone said above I don't think my local shop mechanic is a metallurgist.

Also, I use Crankskins (because I hate crank rub marks) so I guess I have to remove those for inspection and not reapply them as I don't want the edge of a sticker to be mistaken for a crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Grumble.

I have these cranks on three bikes.

What annoys me is the need to go through a dealer, and the need for the inspection.

Shimano basically is saying they have thousands of cranksets out there that may fail, but... Just wait until they start to fail to take action.

Last edited by avalonracing; 09-24-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:05 AM

Shimano crank recall part deux

Someone asked to see a Shimano video showing where to inspect the recalled cranks.

https://youtu.be/mKMKsbts3t8?si=xAJjKjwiJpsF0ba6

Note that this is a multi step process.
1. The crankset is inspected to make sure it's the correct model and date code. The customer is asked questions about noises etc.

2. If qualified, the cranked is inspected for separation or cracks.

3. If found, the crank is sent to Shimano to be inspected again and if they agree, they send a new crankset. If not, the original crank is returned to the dealer.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:14 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Someone asked to see a Shimano video showing where to inspect the recalled cranks.

3. If found, the crank is sent to Shimano to be inspected again and if they agree, they send a new crankset. If not, the original crank is returned to the dealer.

So the cracks might be small enough that only Shimano can verify them but if they don't find them they send them back. Then WE are supposed to regularly inspect our cranks to find cracks that might be so small that only Shimano can find them...

Makes sense.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Merged threads to keep the conversation in one place.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:24 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
i sweat like a freaking sauna but I don't ever recall seeing my cranks get salty....headsets yup but seems like there would be some strange things going on if the cranks were getting soaked...
I saw a video where someone overhauled the crank on their kickr bike. It was amazing how salty it was. Granted, that's on a bike that doesn't move, but the sweat was probably blown there by a fan. And some people's sweat is very corrosive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
This is 100% the right move. Your local mechanic isn't a scientific examiner of metallurgy.
I have spent many years of my life breaking things on purpose. When a crack in aluminum transitions to the "large crack" state of growth, most people can't see it with the naked eye. It's about 1/3 mm long, and hard to tell if it's really a crack. I consider that to be the point where something like one of these cranks is failed.
Sometimes you see fascinating things when you are looking at a fatigue crack under a microscope.

Microscottie by unterhausen, on Flickr
Old 09-24-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:

1. The crankset is inspected to make sure it's the correct model and date code. The customer is asked questions about noises etc.

Great.
How long should you expect to not be able to ride your bicycle for while this whole saga plays out?
Old 09-24-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Great.
How long should you expect to not be able to ride your bicycle for while this whole saga plays out?
For most of the country, a couple of weeks. That truly sucks. Not to mention, a good crank could crack later.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:53 AM

The bike biz is so dysfunctional

A multi-billion $$$, publicly traded company is leaning on hourly shop rats working for small businesses to facilitate a product recall stretching back to 2012, on the cheap. For free. What a terrible plan

Dealers should bill shimano...or not participate

Quote:

Old 09-24-2023, 12:03 PM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I’m hopeful a combination of consumer displeasure and Government intervention force Shimano to replace all affected cranks (regardless of cracks found in the current phase of the recall). In the meantime, I’ll keep inspecting mine regularly.

Greg
Old 09-24-2023, 12:07 PM
Administrator

To me, this is bad for Shimano.

I have always predominantly been a Campagnolo guy, but my perception of Shimano has always been a bit boring, but very much reliable in that Toyota/Honda Japanese kind of way.

They should just issue a replacement crank to anyone who wants one IMO.

This is my SwissX, it has been ridden hard in bad conditions and not babied. I built it with a mixed bag of very reliable parts. I dont want to have to worry about my crank or other parts.

I wonder how Shimano would feel about the [gasp] aftermarket chainrings?

Old 09-24-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
To me, this is bad for Shimano.

I have always predominantly been a Campagnolo guy, but my perception of Shimano has always been a bit boring, but very much reliable in that Toyota/Honda Japanese kind of way.

They should just issue a replacement crank to anyone who wants one IMO.

This is my SwissX, it has been ridden hard in bad conditions and not babied. I built it with a mixed bag of very reliable parts. I dont want to have to worry about my crank or other parts.

I wonder how Shimano would feel about the [gasp] aftermarket chainrings?

Your bike’s driveline looks a lot like the two now suspect Shimano drivelines I have here….right down to the AB rings. I have been a largely Shimano guy for quite a while. I still have the Campy Record drive side crank that I snapped going up a hill. I mention that because none of the manufacturers are prefect. perfect. Nor have they been for a while. The real issue here is how it has been handled, and how quickly things can snowball in the viral internet age. I examined my two cranks with a loupe and just running my fingers around every seam. One of them seems perfectly fine, no apparent anything wrong. I will ride that one comfortably. The other one had what felt to the finger like tiny separation on the inside edges mid crank on the drive side. THAT one will go to the local Shimano dealer as soon as the opportunity is available. It wasnt much but I could feel something. I feel lucky that I have a few bikes and can set one aside for the moment. Lots of folks don’t have that option.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=bikinchris;3297316]Someone asked to see a Shimano video showing where to inspect the recalled cranks.

I do believe that dealers have access to a different video
Old 09-24-2023, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=Forza20;3297386]
Quote:

I do believe that dealers have access to a different video
On Shimano S-Tec training we have 4 different videos, but this one sums up where we're supposed to look for problems.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
The bike biz is so dysfunctional

A multi-billion $$$, publicly traded company is leaning on hourly shop rats working for small businesses to facilitate a product recall stretching back to 2012, on the cheap. For free. What a terrible plan

Dealers should bill shimano...or not participate
Labor rates around the country vary widely. A shop in NYC will not be happy with the $75 Shimano is offering. One somewhere in a small town would be fine with that amount.
Most people don't know that these multibillion dollar companies pay dealers NOTHING for warranty work.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:33 PM

Wow

That video was not very confidence building