Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 08:04 PM

With that kind of passive aggressive accusational tone isn’t very helpful. Also, I actually find it offensive. So I guess it isn’t as easy as you think

PS modern groups are really ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
The "oh you can't say anything anymore without offending someone" is a straw man argument.

Stop being racist/sexist/bigoted and maybe even flex a little of your empathy muscle and you'll be startled to find it's pretty damn easy to not offend anyone.

How did we get to this on a groupset thread. I just came here to note it was funny that this is the "music was better in my day" thread that somehow managed to span 12 pages, ha.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I don't think old parts compromised function for aesthetics, a lot of the old French parts are still amazing today. There is still really nice stuff today, you mentioned Japan for example. Take Nitto which makes some of the best stuff today, incredible look and amanzingly functional and long lasting... you trade that for a few grams though.
I agree. I think the first goal was to make things that worked, but there was also an effort to make the components attractive as well. With most modern components, I don’t see any evidence that anybody put forth any effort to differentiate them from a kid’s project with an Erector set.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
With that kind of passive aggressive accusational tone isn’t very helpful. Also, I actually find it offensive. So I guess it isn’t as easy as you think

PS modern groups are really ugly.
hardly passive his tone but seriously, lets drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I agree. I think the first goal was to make things that worked, but there was also an effort to make the components attractive as well. With most modern components, I don’t see any evidence that anybody put forth any effort to differentiate them from a kid’s project with an Erector set.
I agree 100%
Old 02-28-2021, 08:53 PM

Last edited by jimoots; 02-28-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Thought better of it
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
With most modern components, I don’t see any evidence that anybody put forth any effort to differentiate them from a kid’s project with an Erector set.

Maybe the problem is they look less like an erector set. There is beauty in simplicity.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Maybe the problem is they look less like an erector set. There is beauty in simplicity.

to me its that it goes out, in then up then dowwwnnnn. I get it though, was designed like that for a reason. And I don't think silver is better than black, there is nice black stuff, I liked the older campy versions, both the pre 2015 and post 2015. But like with everything I am sure it will grow on me, maybe ahha. I also think it doesn't look bad on all bikes.

I think the campy designers were hanging out with the bmw designers

Old 02-28-2021, 09:17 PM

I was gonna say 'Well I guess you can only make stuff out of carbon look nice to an extent'.. but then I remembered how much better looking 11 speed Campagnolo stuff is. With that said, I have Chorus 12 on my bike and I don't find it that offensive. It works well and I don't see it when I'm riding. I think it's more visually interesting than Shimano Ultegra - which I guess is the Shim equivalent.

I definitely think the DA 9000, 11 speed Campagnolo Chorus/Record/Super Record and SRAM Force/Red 22 era of groupsets is the best looking generation of modern groupsets.

As Jimmy said, DA 9000 is absolutely a modern classic. Makes me swoon every time I see a set of 9000 cranks on a Ti frame.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I was gonna say 'Well I guess you can only make stuff out of carbon look nice to an extent'.. but then I remembered how much better looking 11 speed Campagnolo stuff is. With that said, I have Chorus 12 on my bike and I don't find it that offensive. It works well and I don't see it when I'm riding. I think it's more visually interesting than Shimano Ultegra - which I guess is the Shim equivalent.

I definitely think the DA 9000, 11 speed Campagnolo Chorus/Record/Super Record and SRAM Force/Red 22 era of groupsets is the best looking generation of modern groupsets.

As Jimmy said, DA 9000 is absolutely a modern classic. Makes me swoon every time I see a set of 9000 cranks on a Ti frame.
Add a SRM and they get even better

4 Bolt with Post '15 everything else

And DA9000

I wish I could find the photos of my Moots with a DA9000 crank
Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 PM

The goal isn't to make something beautiful, the goal is to convince people that it is. It's easy to make something red or five feet tall. Tell me exactly how you go about making something beautiful?

Eh?
Old 02-28-2021, 09:39 PM

I love those bikes so much man^^

I sent photos of them both to a friend the other day to illustrate what kind of carbon bike I would be willing to ride He was equally enamored by them.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:57 PM

I just scored a NOS 9000 crank and it is like jewelry.

Am trying to figure out how to protect the finish. Probably get a crankskin and a hairdryer/heat gun to shrink and fit properly. I have the clear plastic on an NOS 7900 crank and it looks so so (the plastic, that is). Kinda like plastic slipcovers on furniture in an Italian house in the northeast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

Old 03-01-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post

For looks...yes. For functionality...NO! I've had both of those derailleurs and the old Record was crap for shifting IMO, the new stuff works flawlessly.

Tim
Old 03-01-2021, 08:11 AM

Design goes in circles. What is clean an fresh will last for so long. Then it falls out of being cool. Even then some designs are classic.

https://www.interaction-design.org/l...or-good-design

Today function is more important than design.