Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
TIf Westbrook goes 13 for 30, OKC is sunk. But if he goes for 20-25 with over a dozen assists, and resists playing "hero ball," I think OKC can give the Dubs problems.
As other have said, in a one game series, e.g., like a SuperBowl, this could work. But can Westbrook go 20 for 25 with a dozen assist and resist playing "hero ball" over a 7 game series?! I don't know. May be someone like Harden, but Westbrook needs to show he can do it.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
As other have said, in a one game series, e.g., like a SuperBowl, this could work. But can Westbrook go 20 for 25 with a dozen assist and resist playing "hero ball" over a 7 game series?! I don't know. May be someone like Harden, but Westbrook needs to show he can do it.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
On a somewhat related note: I was working out with a buddy tonight, and although I don't know the intricacies of the salary cap/luxury tax, it seems Golden State might have to choice between Durant or Cousins (assuming he's healthy)

We both agreed : Cousins.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:27 AM

For 2019, with a cap of $110M, GSW already have $112M committed to Steph, Dray, AI, Livingston, and Klay (assume he resigns). That is without KD opting in to his $31M player option.

Cousins might not be a max player this offseason (though he will be significantly more expensive than the $6.4M he is getting this year), but there's no way they can afford him without getting into the tax ($132M). Unless they ship Dray out and buyout the returning players, or Klay doesn't resign, or KD doesn't opt in.

As for choosing Cousins instead of KD... I'm going to assume you and your buddy were in oxygen debt cause you were crushing it with your workout.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Strongly disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
For 2019, with a cap of $110M, GSW already have $112M committed to Steph, Dray, AI, Livingston, and Klay (assume he resigns). That is without KD opting in to his $31M player option.

Cousins might not be a max player this offseason (though he will be significantly more expensive than the $6.4M he is getting this year), but there's no way they can afford him without getting into the tax ($132M). Unless they ship Dray out and buyout the returning players, or Klay doesn't resign, or KD doesn't opt in.

As for choosing Cousins instead of KD... I'm going to assume you and your buddy were in oxygen debt cause you were crushing it with your workout.
If I were a GM drafting a new team, I would take Durant first of the Dubs. I think Cousins is a much better fit for their system. Like having a bigger version of Webber with more range.

I also think Green is more valuable to this team than Durant. Not in general but to THIS team ...
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Green and Cousins are both really good, but I can't agree with not valuing KD higher, for this or any team.

There are like 5 guys in the NBA who guarantee you a playoff spot as long as you build a mildly competent roster around them. KD is one. Curry is one. Cousins and Green are not.

Last time the W's didn't have KD, they lost in the Finals. And should have lost in the WCF.

Last edited by Jaybee; 02-01-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Green and Cousins are both really good, but I can't agree with not valuing KD higher, for this or any team.

There are like 5 guys in the NBA who guarantee you a playoff spot as long as you build a mildly competent roster around them. KD is one. Curry is one. Cousins and Green are not.

Last time the W's didn't have KD, they lost in the Finals. And should have lost in the WCF.
And probably lost in 2016 due to the absence of Green.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...s-13403898.php

Thoughts, Flash?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Boogie can't guard a lamp post, or at least shown an ability to do it with any consistency. And the defensive end is where all of this starts for the Warriors.

The only reason the Warriors are the Warriors is Green as an undersized five creates all sorts of mismatch havoc as he can hold his own on the defensive end against traditional 5s, while being able to guard perimeter players. He unlocks their ability to switch across all 5 positions, while keeping the other player's big under constant defensive pressure on the offensive end as the screener for Curry/Durant/Thompson et al. He's a willing passer and decent enough perimeter shooter (at times) that he is a unique piece to this exceedingly unique puzzle. The other is a helluva lot of luck in roster construction, but Dub Nation doesn't exactly want to hear that either these days.

Boogie does a lot of things and a lot of things that Green can't do, but I don't think he's a long-term fit for this team.

Reality is this is the last run for this team as currently constituted. Things are going to change. At least one of the Durant/Thompson/Green trio is departing at some point in the next 18 months. But the team and Boogie have openly stated this is a one-year rehab/ring chasing assignment for him, and a test drive so he can dive back into the market next summer.

The simplest play is keeping the best player of that trio, and that's Durant.

Last edited by FlashUNC; 02-01-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Got my ages screwed up pre-caffeine, but doesn't change the underlying point.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Boogie can't guard a lamp post, or at least shown an ability to do it with any consistency. And the defensive end is where all of this starts for the Warriors.

The only reason the Warriors are the Warriors is Green as an undersized five creates all sorts of mismatch havoc as he can hold his own on the defensive end against traditional 5s, while being able to guard perimeter players. He unlocks their ability to switch across all 5 positions, while keeping the other player's big under constant defensive pressure on the offensive end as the screener for Curry/Durant/Thompson et al. He's a willing passer and decent enough perimeter shooter (at times) that he is a unique piece to this exceedingly unique puzzle. The other is a helluva lot of luck in roster construction, but Dub Nation doesn't exactly want to hear that either these days.

Boogie does a lot of things and a lot of things that Green can't do, but I don't think he's a long-term fit for this team.

Reality is this is the last run for this team as currently constituted. Things are going to change. At least one of the Durant/Thompson/Green trio is departing at some point in the next 18 months. But the team and Boogie have openly stated this is a one-year rehab/ring chasing assignment for him, and a test drive so he can dive back into the market next summer.

The simplest play is keeping the best player of that trio, and that's Durant.
Well, that's two Paceliners whose opinion I respect. We'll see what the Dubs do. Best player of the trio? Yes. Youngest? No
Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
And probably lost in 2016 due to the absence of Green.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfc...s-13403898.php

Thoughts, Flash?
Green missed time in the 2016 Finals because he's a volatile asshole - that's part of the cost of having him on your team. And you want to add another volatile asshole to that mix?

FWIW, the article you posted reminded me that this is all moot - the W's can only pay Cousins something like 7.5M next year and he's going to get a 20M offer somewhere. If he kills it in the playoffs and looks like old Boogie, he might even sucker someone (Knicks?) into a max.

Regardless, I can't believe how spoiled W's fans/media have become. We don't need KD because "he doesn't fit in seamlessly" with our no-iso offense?

1) Sometimes, especially in the playoffs, you need a guy to get a bucket by himself. KD is the best person on the planet at this.

2) He fits in just fine. Check the screenshot in post 175. If you replace KD standing in the corner there with say, AI or Livingston or even Quinn Cook, that whole play breaks down because the corner defender is 2 steps closer to the rim. This is an example of why the W's work so well - because they don't have any serious lineups that feature a player you can ignore. Replace KD with, idunno, Justise Winslow, and none of this works.

Finally, center, so long as that guy can play passable defense and rebound, just doesn't really matter in the NBA anymore. Not compared to offensive-fulcrum wings and guards. You can fill that spot in with anyone. Even Zaza Pachulia.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Green missed time in the 2016 Finals because he's a volatile asshole - that's part of the cost of having him on your team. And you want to add another volatile asshole to that mix?

FWIW, the article you posted reminded me that this is all moot - the W's can only pay Cousins something like 7.5M next year and he's going to get a 20M offer somewhere. If he kills it in the playoffs and looks like old Boogie, he might even sucker someone (Knicks?) into a max.

Regardless, I can't believe how spoiled W's fans/media have become. We don't need KD because "he doesn't fit in seamlessly" with our no-iso offense?

1) Sometimes, especially in the playoffs, you need a guy to get a bucket by himself. KD is the best person on the planet at this.

2) He fits in just fine. Check the screenshot in post 175. If you replace KD standing in the corner there with say, AI or Livingston or even Quinn Cook, that whole play breaks down because the corner defender is 2 steps closer to the rim. This is an example of why the W's work so well - because they don't have any serious lineups that feature a player you can ignore. Replace KD with, idunno, Justise Winslow, and none of this works.

Finally, center, so long as that guy can play passable defense and rebound, just doesn't really matter in the NBA anymore. Not compared to offensive-fulcrum wings and guards. You can fill that spot in with anyone. Even Zaza Pachulia.
Hey now, let's not besmirch my second favorite player in NBA history, Zaza "Nothing Easy" Pachulia.

And to your point, the Warriors got Durant precisely because they ran into that exact issue in the playoffs during the 3-1 collapse. There were times they needed a guy to get a bucket, and it wasn't going to be Harrison Barnes. He's the Monstars/Space Jam version of Harrison Barnes, which is why he was such a logical fit into their overall scheme. Anyone in the Bay who thinks they don't need Kevin is somewhat right -- this team already won a title and won 73 games without him -- but the playoffs are a different animal sometimes and he's the great Cheat Code button to a lot of those matchups that emerge in a seven game series.

You could scheme against Klay/Steph/Harrison. You can't against Klay/Steph/Durant.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Hey now, let's not besmirch my second favorite player in NBA history, Zaza "Nothing Easy" Pachulia.
Heh.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Zaza was, and remains, a treasure and should be enshrined in basketball immortality. His post-Game 6 speech to the Philips Arena crowd during a surprisingly feisty Hawks/Celtics series in 2008 was one for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ70BkPkANM
Old 02-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:

From the Chron sportswriter today after Embiid thrashed the Dubs inside :

"Embiid especially asserted himself when Cousins rested and Kevon Looney replaced him at center. Looney simply isn’t big enough to stop Embiid."

E
Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
From the Chron sportswriter today after Embiid thrashed the Dubs inside :

"Embiid especially asserted himself when Cousins rested and Kevon Looney replaced him at center. Looney simply isn’t big enough to stop Embiid."

E
If the last two years have proven anything, there's not really anyone who can stop Embiid on the block when he gets it going.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Zaza was, and remains, a treasure and should be enshrined in basketball immortality. His post-Game 6 speech to the Philips Arena crowd during a surprisingly feisty Hawks/Celtics series in 2008 was one for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ70BkPkANM
Who's your first favorite player? Fond memories of Zaza as well. Back in '05, I had a buddy who was really into video games. I never was. He used Pachulia (I'd never heard of him) to destroy the Spurs team that I was running. (With my favorite player...Tim Duncan)

Only time Pachulia racked up 40 and 15...