Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2023, 01:13 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
An aside, all the broken cranks I've seen have been on the rides of folks I would consider

(1)toxic sweaters
(2)combined with a chronic need to always destroy equipment before seeking technical or mechanical help. Hard legs, soft mind syndrome
I know it doesn't mean much , but the only broken crank I have seen come into the shop was on a super clean, well maintained bike. The crank looked really good except for the fact that it was about to break in half. The person wasn't particularly large, but definitely rides a lot. The owner was bringing it in for maintenance and the mechanic checking it in noticed the break. OTOH, I'm sure your two categories of rider are a lot more likely to break a crank given the nature of the failure mode.

That was the first failed shimano crank that the shop had seen.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:59 PM

i sweat like a freaking sauna but I don't ever recall seeing my cranks get salty....headsets yup but seems like there would be some strange things going on if the cranks were getting soaked...
Old 09-23-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
Chorus 11s cranks are the answer I expected from the old spud.
I had a pair where the threaded pedal eyelet came loose. It never fully came out but gave the pedal a lot of float in a direction it never had before.

After the warranty had expired....of course.

Tim
Old 09-23-2023, 02:30 PM
Older Than You

I've had Ultegra 6800 on 2 bikes since 2016. I looked them over very closely and have taken one to the shop where I work. Nothing to indicate any imminent failure.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:49 PM

Some real world data:

I took my bike with 9100 cranks into a major Trek dealer today. The kid at the front desk checked to make sure my crankset had the affected code (OH in my case), and told me they'll ship it off to Shimano and expect a new crank in 2-3 weeks. There was literally no inspection or questioning at all. It seems like Shimano is just going to warranty all affected cranks without inspection, no questions asked. We'll see how accurate this timeframe is.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:17 PM

This is 100% the right move. Your local mechanic isn't a scientific examiner of metallurgy. If it darkens your door, warranty it. You can't push responsibility for this back at the retailer without a significant influx of $$$. As it is, there's no financial compensation for the dealer to even get involved

If it's "inspected" and fails...someone gets hurt? Not wanting to risk that conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellymcfatfats View Post
Some real world data:

I took my bike with 9100 cranks into a major Trek dealer today. The kid at the front desk checked to make sure my crankset had the affected code (OH in my case), and told me they'll ship it off to Shimano and expect a new crank in 2-3 weeks. There was literally no inspection or questioning at all. It seems like Shimano is just going to warranty all affected cranks without inspection, no questions asked. We'll see how accurate this timeframe is.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
This is 100% the right move. Your local mechanic isn't a scientific examiner of metallurgy. If it darkens your door, warranty it. You can't push responsibility for this back at the retailer without a significant influx of $$$. As it is, there's no financial compensation for the dealer to even get involved

If it's "inspected" and fails...someone gets hurt? Not wanting to risk that conversation
My friend and I were just talking about this. I couldn't imagine the liability for a shop that inspects the cranks and said "no problem" and someone gets injured a few months down the road. If it was my shop... every one of them are going to Shimano for them to say "no problem".
Old 09-23-2023, 06:14 PM
Back At It!

so, question.. I've read through this entire thread and the BRAIN article that has the Shimano bulletin attached and I'm not 100% convinced the cranks HAVE to be on the bike.. there was one reply in the thread where someone's LBS told them the cranks have to be on the bike.. the bulletin says to bring the bike in if your cranks fall under the recall, but does not say anything about if the cranks have to be on the bike.. I know we have some shop folks in here, anyone have anything more definitive? I ask because I have a set of 6800 that fall in this recall that is currently "between bikes".. I guess it just makes no sense that it would matter if the crankset is on the bike or not.. the inspection is on the crankset, not the bike..

for reference- the article with the attached bulletin..
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...4-500-incident
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...ll-notice.html

Last edited by fourflys; 09-23-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:21 PM

I don't think it matters. Easier to "inspect" off the bike

Any one I see is going back to shimano if the date codes are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so, question.. I've read through this entire thread and the BRAIN article that has the Shimano bulletin attached and I'm not 100% convinced the cranks HAVE to be on the bike.. there was one reply in the thread where someone's LBS told them the cranks have to be on the bike.. the bulletin says to bring the bike in if your cranks fall under the recall, but does not say anything about if the cranks have to be on the bike.. I know we have some shop folks in here, anyone have anything more definitive? I ask because I have a set of 6800 that fall in this recall that is currently "between bikes"..

for reference- the article with the attached bulletin..
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...4-500-incident
Old 09-23-2023, 06:27 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
I don't think it matters. Easier to "inspect" off the bike
that was my thought.. I'm basically saving the shop a bit of time in my mind..
Old 09-24-2023, 07:00 AM

Pretty long thread- do affected date code cranksets have to be removed and sent in (no biking? for 2-3 weeks)?
Old 09-24-2023, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Shimano doesn't have the time, money, or reason to go through the process of individually making sure each crankset that is under the recall meets some arbitrary assessment.

There's a reason that recalls exist, because within a broad classification of products produced, in this case, 0.59% are likely to have a defect, and it's more cost effective and less time consuming to replace all of them outright rather than trying to fight each individual person's claim that their product is damaged or not.
But that's exactly what Shimano is doing.

And that's NOT what Shimano is doing..replacing them all outright.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I had a pair where the threaded pedal eyelet came loose. It never fully came out but gave the pedal a lot of float in a direction it never had before.

After the warranty had expired....of course.

Tim
Saw that 3-4 times on older, hidden arm cranks...never on the newer, 4 arm ones. I also repaired those with some JB weld...ANF often when 'somebody' gorilla-ed the pedal into the crank, often w/o any lube.

BUT, if ya gotta ask, the choice I would make is pretty obvious.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Grumble.

I have these cranks on three bikes.

What annoys me is the need to go through a dealer, and the need for the inspection.

Shimano basically is saying they have thousands of cranksets out there that may fail, but... Just wait until they start to fail to take action.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:41 AM

I have a crank that is on the recall list. If the dealer that inspects it determines that it passes the Shimano inspection procedure, and if I feel that I would rather have it replaced, I will write to the dealer and ask them to place in writing that the crank is "safe for continued use". If the dealer refuses to do so (and I could not reasonably imagine any dealer who would ever provide such a letter) I would then thank them and write directly to Shimano-contacting them may prove a challenge. Is David Pfieffer still President?. Does anyone have direct email address for top/ key executives at Shimano USA? I have seen the video that Shimano has provided its dealers- a detailed, daunting, inspection procedure. It clearly appears that the onus placed on the dealers is too high and unfair. Shimano should simply provide any customer the option of having their crank replaced- if that is what they prefer. This is best for the dealer, the customer, and the Shimano brand- long and short term. I could not see car dealers inspecting a component that is on a recall list and then saying to the customer" We could not find any definite fault, go ahead and drive your car, you'll be fine". The approach Shimano is taking is incredibly short sighted, negligent, and just plain dumb.

Last edited by Forza20; 09-24-2023 at 08:06 AM. Reason: amended