Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 08:26 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Urban Racer is my favorite bike from them. It's pretentious and outrageous but cool too.

I like the hub for its 2-speed internals and I think moving to another brake would take away from this simplicity. That said, I've read it's a cheesy quality piece, not worthy of this price. But I do think having more than one gear is worthwhile.

I have actually considered getting an Urban Racer on more than one occasion but can't justify it when I sober up.
same here. the urban racer was cool as hell. I would love one too but too expensive for how many times I would ride it.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Newsflash: Dale approves [x]

I wondered this too...BUT, it is the fillet brazing.

The design goal is go fast steel bike based on the best The Workshop can offer. That means the swaged, bi-axially ovalized, flattened and swooped tubes used on SV, plus all the small take away everything that doesn't matter ethos.

That frame won't be lugged (weight, can't accommodate the BB and seat clusters)

That frame won't be TIG'd since existing SV are TIG.

Sooooo it has to be fillet to differentiate.

To me, Sacha is on the torch if the frame says Vanilla but I think that ship has sailed. Yes, I could lament a time in the past but why? It's 2020 on my calendar, not 2009.

So ... it is what it is. I still love what they do. Have people forgotten there was a time when Vanilla was putting out bikes across multiple genres: road,cross, rando, town/city, SS/fixed, track that were exceptional in form function and aesthetic? His place on the frame builders mount rushmore is secured (at least to me).

FWIW I thought the Klein homage SV SM was a fail. As was the unpainted welds showing SV SM. that's it. two out of what decades? even if you didn't care for the fabrication incarnation or the aesthetic, it is hard to deny they went in unexpected directions.

If we subtract the bolt on bling, we are left with SV tubes, fabrication technique, and paint to make this a Vanilla molre than a super-charged SV.

I see that now. No point on wanting more if there really is no more there.

Still, I would wish they used the polished Vanilla dropouts. so what if they might flex a bit more than the beserker. I would make that trade for the iconic in an instant to put the cherry on top of the panto DA.

yea, bit of dust on the Bora 35 hubs and skewer. You guys try living like we do in probably the most locked down area in the country. I am happy to report no domestic violence has occurred since March.
God. That year. Nostalgia can wreak havoc on your life.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Why do they put carbon forks on a "classic" steel frame?
It's a crime against good taste.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
$, of course. Easier to sell in spite of being rim brakes. It’s expensive to make a decent steel fork, a decent looking one too.
It's too expensive to put a steel fork on a limited edition steel frame? That's some weird economics.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
It's a crime against good taste.
A felony, no less.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
same here. the urban racer was cool as hell. I would love one too but too expensive for how many times I would ride it.
I was lucky enough to get a used one off of eBay. That hot pink gets a lot of attention from non-cyclist. The two speed works well but the auto shift point isn't to my liking. I'm hoping to tackle that this winter and get it to shift at a slightly higher cadence. As a commuter it works quite well since if I need to haul larger loads like my dog, lots of groceries, or my wife to the bar I'll take the cargo bike.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjambok View Post
I was lucky enough to get a used one off of eBay. That hot pink gets a lot of attention from non-cyclist. The two speed works well but the auto shift point isn't to my liking. I'm hoping to tackle that this winter and get it to shift at a slightly higher cadence. As a commuter it works quite well since if I need to haul larger loads like my dog, lots of groceries, or my wife to the bar I'll take the cargo bike.
rebuild the rear with the SA two speed kickback. I prefer it and the gear ratio is a bit better ( for me anyway).
Old 11-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjambok View Post
Yo. Pics please! Post that thing up in the gallery.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:07 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Urban Racer is my favorite bike from them. It's pretentious and outrageous but cool too.

I have actually considered getting an Urban Racer on more than one occasion but can't justify it when I sober up.
Lol. I have a crush on the bike too. I see myself bunny-hoping curbs and skidding everywhere. My wife threatened to get me one as a bday gift a few years back. I told her no as it seemed like too much dosh for a cruise around bike. If I lived downtown where there were 20 burrito/burger/beer joints within 1 square mile, it'd be more suitable.

But yes, thank god they don't have a "buy it now" button when I'm 2/3 into my Friday 6 pack(s).
Old 11-13-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Lol. I have a crush on the bike too. I see myself bunny-hoping curbs and skidding everywhere. My wife threatened to get me one as a bday gift a few years back. I told her no as it seemed like too much dosh for a cruise around bike. If I lived downtown where there were 20 burrito/burger/beer joints within 1 square mile, it'd be more suitable.

But yes, thank god they don't have a "buy it now" button when I'm 2/3 into my Friday 6 pack(s).
No kidding on the “Buy It Now” option....!!! That’s a dangerous option!

I’d get the integrated lighting and front rack and bag and at least make it somewhat practical.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post

I had to give up drinking *Solely* to avoid pulling the trigger on a UR. There probably isn't a dumber bike to be riding in the oakland hills than a 2 speed...well...except maybe my SS...hey wait a minute....
Old 11-13-2020, 05:25 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I had to give up drinking *Solely* to avoid pulling the trigger on a UR. There probably isn't a dumber bike to be riding in the oakland hills than a 2 speed...well...except maybe my SS...hey wait a minute....
Haha. Me too. The romance ends quickly as soon as I realize there are hills everywhere here.

If I were a flatlander, I'd already have the pig in my hands.

Tags
money, veblen goods