Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 04:51 AM

Time to do some research on what to buy.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Aussie market down more than 7% today. Going to be good buying opportunities at some stage.
Not yet. Corona cases growing and recession looming. Highest debt levels in the world... retail dead in the water.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:02 AM

Looking like trading will halt for 15 minutes right after the open (if down 7%). Next if down 15%, but probably won’t drop that low. (Futures have been halted all night at down 5%)

The only positive I see in any of this is a changing of the guard in November.

Last edited by Tony T; 03-09-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:35 AM

Bad news bears......
Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 AM

So if I was thinking about re-financing my home to get a lower rate (I'm currently at 3.875) should I wait even longer? I have the day off today and was thinking of heading up to the bank to apply. I seem to recall they have a float-to-lock period where I could wait for an even lower rate if that comes about. Any financial gurus on here seem to think I should wait another month?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Looking like trading will halt for 15 minutes right after the open (if down 7%). Next if down 15%, but probably won’t drop that low. (Futures have been halted all night at down 5%)

The only positive I see in any of this is a changing of the guard in November.
I agree 100%, however, not sure what any 'new guard' will really DO differently. Yes, the verbage that will be coming out will be more sane, learned..less ignorant, scatterbrained, abusive and intolerant...Less, 'look at me and how great I am', for sure but...
Old 03-09-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I agree 100%, however, not sure what any 'new guard' will really DO differently. Yes, the verbage that will be coming out will be more sane, learned..less ignorant, scatterbrained, abusive and intolerant...Less, 'look at me and how great I am', for sure but...
That's what I was alluding to.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Have you used a calculator to see what the payback period of refinancing is going to be? If not, I would suggest doing so. The rates are already near their all-time lows; you might want to run a scenario where you refinance at say 3.000 - 3.250 and see if the numbers make sense. The answer depends on many factors (such as your loan amount, where you are in your current loan, time horizon, refinancing costs, etc.). As an example, we are not sure if we will be staying where we are for more than 5 years, and the refinance numbers based on that are currently not in our favor. If you plan on staying for a long time, then it will probably make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
So if I was thinking about re-financing my home to get a lower rate (I'm currently at 3.875) should I wait even longer? I have the day off today and was thinking of heading up to the bank to apply. I seem to recall they have a float-to-lock period where I could wait for an even lower rate if that comes about. Any financial gurus on here seem to think I should wait another month?

Last edited by fa63; 03-09-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Dow plunges over 2,000 - worst intraday point decline in history
Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Global recession. F%&/k
Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Get your butt in there today. Get the ball rolling. Time it takes to process your application may see another drop. Find out how often they change the rates. Sometimes it's even on a certain day of the week. If you're using the same bank that already holds the mortgage, ask about having the application fee/closing fee waived or reduced.

Don't know how big your loan is, but 1% could be worth it. Also go to shorter term if rates are better.

Cannot describe how nice it is to have mortgage paid off.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I could be wrong but it has always seemed to me that Wall Street cares little about who's in the White House.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:58 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Wall Street cares little about who's in the White House.
It's not personal, but fiscal policy, pressure on monetary policy, regulation of industry and markets, a steady hand on the wheel steering the vast power of the U.S. executive branch . . . That stuff matters.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:02 AM

Simply looking at average returns, the market has done significantly better under Democratic presidents than Republicans. That said, this is a classic example of correlation not implying causation; there are too many other factors at play other than who is in the White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I could be wrong but it has always seemed to me that Wall Street cares little about who's in the White House.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
It's not personal, but fiscal policy, pressure on monetary policy, regulation of industry and markets, a steady hand on the wheel steering the vast power of the U.S. executive branch . . . That stuff matters.
Sure. Regulation (or DE-regulation) certainly matters. I must agree.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, stonks, vertdoug for fed chair, wealth, yen carry trade