BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
Azzzurrriiiii~~~
This is arguably the finale.

so much talent on display.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Strong Walker

Italy has a counterspell to Belgium magic it seems.. They always were a tough team to play against, and they evolved quite a bit from their more destructive times. Never understood the hype about Belgium, that world ranking doesn't mean much. They got de Bruyne, Lukaku, Hazard and Courtois, the rest plays in Brügge or Leichester. There were some more talented teams at this Euro.

Last edited by martl; 07-02-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:21 PM

Didn't see but last 20min or so but one thing I learned - those Italians sure can act.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:24 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Italy has a counterspell to Belgium magic it seems.. They always were a tough team to play against, and they evolved quite a bit from their more destructive times. Never understood the hype about Belgium, that world ranking doesn't mean much. They got de Bruyne, Lukaku, Hazard and Courtois, the rest plays in Brügge or Leichester. There were some more talented teams at this Euro.
Italy is the team to beat. Mancini has them playing so well & they are the most complete, deep team.

I hope Sterling was taking notes on how Doku played, it seems that Italy's weakness is they are susceptible to speed in the back.

Spain continues to be unimpressive. I don't get the fascination with Morata. He makes Diego Costa look world class.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Forza Azzurri!
Old 07-02-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Didn't see but last 20min or so but one thing I learned - those Italians sure can act.
Yes, they can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm..._italy_scores/
Old 07-02-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Italy is the team to beat. Mancini has them playing so well & they are the most complete, deep team.

I hope Sterling was taking notes on how Doku played, it seems that Italy's weakness is they are susceptible to speed in the back.

Spain continues to be unimpressive. I don't get the fascination with Morata. He makes Diego Costa look world class.
Diego Costa is par excellence at s***housery though

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Well, and at bottler extraordinaire, Tottenham.

This was always a team that was overhyped, b/c they have some truly generational talents amongst its attacking players (De Bruyne and Hazard). But the defending has always been somewhat leaky, and it's now been 3+ years, and it's still resorting to wingers to play as wingbacks.

Hell, had Remco (yes, that Remco) stayed with football, he might even have featured as a second-choice outside back for this team.

In contrast, Insigne is the most heralded of Italy's attackers, and Immobile more often finds himself the butt of jokes of certain English-speakers. But that team is just well drilled and integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
Well, par for the course, when quite a few of the Italy first 11 literally play/played for a film producer (sorry @wc1934).

Jest aside, they have tradition. The wily veterans of this Italian team (namely Bonucci and Chiellinni) are some of the best practitioners of the dark arts. "Arts" used, as it never looks bad on initial glance, but they know just how to get away with things (unlike Pepe or Ramos, who try to get away with worse and then act surprised when they are caught).

Also, look up catenaccio. Il Azzuri may have flair now, but the catenaccio mentality never went away

Last edited by echappist; 07-02-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:20 PM

Nothing wrong with a solid system of defending.

I share your opinion about Pepe and Sergio Ramos. Zero refinement in their game.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:45 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a solid system of defending.

I share your opinion about Pepe and Sergio Ramos. Zero refinement in their game.
Hah! Pepe is a thug, but I have always like Sergio Ramos....go figure. I guess I have a soft spot for attacking defenders...
Old 07-02-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Hah! Pepe is a thug, but I have always like Sergio Ramos....go figure. I guess I have a soft spot for attacking defenders...
I have a lot of respect for his ability to defend, to move forward on attack & support corners in the air.

I'm just of the opinion that he doesn't have the refinement that, say, Pique or Semedo or Rudiger have.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:09 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
I have a lot of respect for his ability to defend, to move forward on attack & support corners in the air.

I'm just of the opinion that he doesn't have the refinement that, say, Pique or Semedo or Rudiger have.
Yeah, he would have been a hero back in pre '90's.

Pique is a class act all they way.....Beckenbauer was the best though. (just showed my age....).
Old 07-02-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Yeah, he would have been a hero back in pre '90's.

Pique is a class act all they way.....Beckenbauer was the best though. (just showed my age....).
Puyol and Maldini were the two that always stood out for me.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:30 PM

Suggested Unai Simon's biography title: My Adventures in Goalkeeping and Other Follies.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:17 PM

I absolutely love this italian team