Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 09:39 AM

Human bodies are funny. I've been "stuck" within a 1-2 lb range for a couple weeks now even with 12hrs on the bike last week and 14hrs the week before.. I guess I need to make some more dietary changes or switch things up a bit to keep it moving. Good news is I'm feeling plenty strong out there and am enjoying having my rides be adequately fueled. I'm not doing any of those "fasted" rides or limiting carb intake or anything like that.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Human bodies are funny. I've been "stuck" within a 1-2 lb range for a couple weeks now even with 12hrs on the bike last week and 14hrs the week before.. I guess I need to make some more dietary changes or switch things up a bit to keep it moving. Good news is I'm feeling plenty strong out there and am enjoying having my rides be adequately fueled. I'm not doing any of those "fasted" rides or limiting carb intake or anything like that.
Eat less. Also fasted rides aren’t always a bad thing. Once you get used to them you become way more durable and don’t bonk as easily.

One of the fastest dudes I know does IF and regular fasted morning rides.

Last edited by mtechnica; 02-09-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Eat less. Also fasted rides aren’t always a bad thing. Once you get used to them you become way more durable and don’t bonk as easily.

One of the fastest dudes I know does IF and regular fasted morning rides.
It's a tough balance. If I underfuel my rides, I'm ravenous later and also don't get as much out of the rides. I'm averaging probably 200-kcal/hr on the bike right now. According to the trackers, I'm still hitting a 1.5-lb/wk deficit on a daily basis. Seems I might need to either do a better job of measuring or push that envelope a bit more. Or not, performance is going well so maybe I just accept this is going to be a slow burn from here on out to my goal composition.. I am moving my trainer into my office - maybe 30-60min of Z2 to start the day on just coffee could help too.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:42 AM
Shifty Member

Just added my info to the 2022 mix. Still not able to drop below the 190 mark, but then I've been drinking plenty of IPAs and most of my trainer workouts have been short with high intensity.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
It's a tough balance. If I underfuel my rides, I'm ravenous later and also don't get as much out of the rides. I'm averaging probably 200-kcal/hr on the bike right now. According to the trackers, I'm still hitting a 1.5-lb/wk deficit on a daily basis. Seems I might need to either do a better job of measuring or push that envelope a bit more. Or not, performance is going well so maybe I just accept this is going to be a slow burn from here on out to my goal composition.. I am moving my trainer into my office - maybe 30-60min of Z2 to start the day on just coffee could help too.
I'm still losing and staying on the glide slope. I'm 6 weeks on Noom with 15 pounds lost. A little over two pounds a week. I have to log my food, I think I was under and over on the serving sizes I would enter and that caused a zig-zag pattern on my weight loss. I'm better now. We'll use the large skillet and make a six egg omelet with low fat cheese then cut it into four sections that each placed in a container with basmati rice, black beans, and a sprinkle of cheese on top. I zap one in the microwave each morning with some salsa. It's much easier to track the calories like that and I have a more consistent morning, hunger-wise.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I highlighted the important parts. Keep up the good work. Lots of people would love to be as “stuck” as you are. That’s the good news. 😉
Old 02-09-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I highlighted the important parts. Keep up the good work. Lots of people would love to be as “stuck” as you are. That’s the good news. 😉
Appreciate the third-party perspective.. you're right, losing a fair chunk of weight since the start of the year while increasing FTP and being able to do 4-6hr rides on the weekends means things are going well. 4-min power PR yesterday too in a 4x4 interval workout outdoors too. I'll take it. And yes, that is part of the enjoyment of the ride too
Old 02-09-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Appreciate the third-party perspective.. you're right, losing a fair chunk of weight since the start of the year while increasing FTP and being able to do 4-6hr rides on the weekends means things are going well. 4-min power PR yesterday too in a 4x4 interval workout outdoors too. I'll take it. And yes, that is part of the enjoyment of the ride too
I just think it’s going to be a struggle to keep losing weight at also fuel aggressive intervals and power pr’s. I think if your weight has stabilized the wrong thing to do is ramp up intensity and volume at the same time, and you’re eating more than you think.

I’ve knocked back intensity and been fasting and while I haven’t hit any power PR’s I did knock out a 110 mile ride on Sunday and finished strong doing 20+ on flats and averaging about 17 on a windy day on a $100 vintage bike (long story).

Last edited by mtechnica; 02-09-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I just think it’s going to be a struggle to keep losing weight at also fuel aggressive intervals and power pr’s. I think if your weight has stabilized the wrong thing to do is ramp up intensity, and you’re eating more than you think.

I’ve knocked back intensity and been fasting and while I haven’t hit any power PR’s I did knock out a 110 mile ride on Sunday and finished strong doing 20+ on flats and averaging about 17 on a windy day on a $100 vintage bike (long story).
Another factor is that muscle in denser than fat. The weight gain might actually be muscle. For fit people (such as the OP) the scale isn’t nearly as effective as a body comp test.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Another factor is that muscle in denser than fat. The weight gain might actually be muscle. For fit people (such as the OP) the scale isn’t nearly as effective as a body comp test.
That’s true
Old 02-09-2022, 01:21 PM

Weight loss

I am down 12 since I began in mid Dec. about 1.8 lbs a week. After eliminating sweets I have started on portion control. Then I discovered frozen fruit as a low calorie after dinner snack which takes a while to eat. That works for me. Also push ups, ab work, curls for strength. Thankfully, strength has come back quick. One set of ten to three sets of 30. After about 5 weeks my body seemed to click. Everything seems easier. I am not craving food as much, I am faster, stronger. Another 21 pounds to go, but only 4 more until I am in the "normal" bmi weight category.

I just want to stick to it this day.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:35 PM

I'm down 16 pounds since January 4th when I started the Noom program. I had labs this week and my A1C has dropped from 5.9 to 5.6. I take a statin but since my cholesterol was 140 with healthy ratios, my dose will get lowered next week. I'm also stopping one of my BP meds because I've been averaging 117/72. This is good. I used to ride a lot and eat crap, this is a new lifestyle I can keep.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I'm down 16 pounds since January 4th when I started the Noom program. I had labs this week and my A1C has dropped from 5.9 to 5.6. I take a statin but since my cholesterol was 140 with healthy ratios, my dose will get lowered next week. I'm also stopping one of my BP meds because I've been averaging 117/72. This is good. I used to ride a lot and eat crap, this is a new lifestyle I can keep.
Killin it - congrats!
Old 02-19-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post

Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2022, 05:28 PM

Weight loss

Big Bill - you are an inspiration! And you are hope.

I am down from 220 to 204, head to 187. Started mid Dec. I eat oatmeal with vegan protein powder in am, graze with an orange, apple, a few pieces of ultra whole wheat bread in the afternoon, train, then dinner. More or less plant based, no dairy, no sugar, but I am eating tuna and salmon because of strength training I am doing. I do not want to lose what muscle I have. A key has been reducing portion size in am and pm. I try to eat slower. Smaller amounts fill me up but I kind of stay a little hungry all day. I did a ridiculous amount of incidental snacking before.

I have to say this has not been easy. I am really focused on losing the pounds vs. qaulity training. Training has been tough - usually I have one-two great days a week. The others are a monumental chore to do. But I have my goal event in August. So there is time. And this is NH. No one is outside yet.