Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeller79 View Post
Oh I'm sure walkers / joggers / pets love that you're taking advantage of that legality.
Some do. Some don’t. I’d recommend riding them before coming to such conclusions. It’s certainly not like New York City here. I lived and commuted there for nearly 15 years on a bike daily.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:32 PM

Well it really isn’t that hard to figure out and Moots certainly has.

Moots has long time older customers that have bought multiple bikes and now need that bike that can give them that extra assistance on those big rides.

E-Bikes are everywhere in Steamboat (and every other town) and it’s the next thing for Moots to offer that long time customer.

They have carbon forks handlebars and stems so they have that manufacture that can help with the E-Bike frame
Old 09-22-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Really? You think it's great that 'smart minds' have introduced electric motorized scooters, that have a throttle(no pedaling necessary) that can zip around on paths and sidewalks?..How is this any different than a ICE scooter being in the same place? You mentioned 'heavily motorized vehicles with clueless operators'..it's that the same thing that 'smart minds' have introduced?

I think E-assisted bikes are great..BUT 'E' bikes with a throttle, where you don't have to pedal..are scooters, and don't belong on MUP, sidewalks any more than the below does. Which also, at least in Colorado, DON'T require license plates or a driver's license(49cc and below).
No, I don't think it's great. I never said that or implied that in any way. It's as though you didn't read my post carefully at all. It happens to everyone occasionally, I guess.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It was a rhetorical question. Both of the bikes I mentioned are legally allowed to ride on the greenways and parks where I live.
I doubt the greenways and parks where you ride your E-scooter has a 20mph speed limit..
Old 09-23-2023, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
No, I don't think it's great. I never said that or implied that in any way. It's as though you didn't read my post carefully at all. It happens to everyone occasionally, I guess.
Quote:
I have to hand it to the smart minds that found a way to introduce motorized vehicles that skirt regulation and licensure and can run freely on the paths, sidewalks, streets, and trails of my area.
Sorry if I misunderstood the above. Sounds like you are applauding the 'smart minds' that have found a way for e-scooters to 'skirt regulations'...to 'run freely on paths, SIDEWALKS, etc..
Old 09-23-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I doubt the greenways and parks where you ride your E-scooter has a 20mph speed limit..
It’s funny all the names folks have for them. I still haven’t seen anyone give a valid reason why we should simply ban all throttle based e bikes aka scooters aka motorcycles aka automobiles but give a pass to pedal assist bike that tops at 20mph but in reality goes more like 18.

I took this yesterday to help visualize the typical ride most will experience here. Better watch out for the kiddies and dogs while I plod along at 18mph…

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 09-23-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It’s funny all the names folks have for them. I still haven’t seen anyone give a valid reason why we should simply ban all throttle based e bikes aka scooters aka motorcycles aka automobiles but give a pass to pedal assist bike that tops at 20mph but in reality goes more like 18.

I took this yesterday to help visualize the typical ride most will experience here. Better watch out for the kiddies and dogs while I plod along at 18mph…

Blame People For Bikes, the organization that came up with the current 3 category system for e-bikes. In most of Europe, e-bikes have a maximum assist speed of 25 kph (15.5 mph), which is more conducive to bike paths. But for the US, People For Bikes choose 2 higher speeds, 20 mph and 28 mph. Historically, vehicles that were powered to 28 mph were previously treated as mopeds, which are essentially low-powered motorcycles and prohibited from bike paths. And 20 mph is a neither here-nor-there intermediate speed, too slow mopeds, but too fast for bike paths. But People For Bikes lobbied so hard, these 2 speeds got Federal recognition.

So when it came time for the states to regulate e-bikes, they were left with a conundrum - they wanted to promote e-bikes, but the way e-bikes were categorized wasn't well suited to many riding environments. Despite People For Bikes trying to get 28 mph vehicles (Category 3 e-bikes) categorized as "bicycles", most states still treat these as mopeds (which often require licenses and registration) and prohibit them from bike paths. But if the states wanted to allow e-bikes of some type on bike paths, they were stuck with a speed category that was too fast.

Based on the botched e-bike categorization, maybe People For Bikes should change their name to People For Mopeds.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:46 AM

I have a Class3 e-bike.. if you want me to use it for commuting.. yes 28mph is required. There are a few sections of road I prefer to get through as fast as possible for safety. I dont have nice paths to use on my route.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:06 PM
Randomhead

When I made my previous comment, I didn't realize how much an equivalent Trek or Spesh cost. But if I wanted a road ebike, I would buy one of those and not a Moots. If Moots welded up a Ti version, that would be a lot more interesting.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:17 PM

Yeeeeuuuck

Absolutely hideous. ‘How to kill a brand’ by Moots. Awful monstrosity of a machine.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjones13 View Post
Absolutely hideous. ‘How to kill a brand’ by Moots. Awful monstrosity of a machine.
Doubt it...Wouldn't have been MY path forward but they will sell a lot of these and it won't hurt their titanium lineup. I really doubt anybody that has done their homework on Moots would look elsewhere just because they are selling a carbon -E-bike.
Now if Moots started making carbon Groad or Road bikes, that would be dumb, IMHO.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:22 PM

Moots and "carbon" are as far apart in my mind as OldP and SRAM.
So the Express definitely came out of nowhere. Kinda diminished the halo around Moots a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjones13 View Post
Old 10-01-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Kinda diminished the halo around Moots a bit.
If the "halo" of a bike is important to someone, then I guess they'll have to shop for a different brand of bike now. On the other hand, if it's the quality of a bike that matters, they can still buy a titanium Moots.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If the "halo" of a bike is important to someone, then I guess they'll have to shop for a different brand of bike now. On the other hand, if it's the quality of a bike that matters, they can still buy a titanium Moots.
Ah geez, much ado about hardly anything. This isn't the first time a well known brand has added a completely different rig to their lineup.
Trek did it with OCLV, Rock Lobster did it with carbon, so did Landshark, and Serotta? Giant, Cannondale, Etc, and blah, blah..

Serotta-Famous for steel..then titanium, then titanium and carbon, then all carbon..I know Serotta had more than a few other issues that spelled their demise but it wasn't a new rig with a new material.

ALL the big boy brands from Europe(Colnago, Pinarello, Merckx, DeRosa(plus ALL the others) have gone this route..even having frames made in(horrors) China and Taiwan..
Old 10-04-2023, 05:59 PM

LOL, then lemond releases a new all road version that looks 100x better than the moots. I don't have an e bike, not have considered buying one, but those lemond models look fun and the lines, colors, and functionality are very well done.