Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 07:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
My shop did an inspection and called to ask if I'd heard any creaking. When I said "no" they told me everything was fine - no warranty replacement for me.
The correct answer was "yes"
Old 09-22-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
My shop did an inspection and called to ask if I'd heard any creaking. When I said "no" they told me everything was fine - no warranty replacement for me.
Yes, I took it out for a ride, and there's definitely some weird noise.

Oh you can't replicate it, oh well. Better replace it to be safe!

It doesn't cost them any money, and the warranty/recall paperwork only indicates that there's some concern, complaint or legitimate issue, that they MAY be able to replicate.

If you tick ANY of those boxes, you'll get a new crankset.

Last edited by mjf; 09-22-2023 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:56 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
No Commies here.

A life choice (with the wife) for a 1 bedroom apt, somewhat minimalist (i.e. 1 really nice bike), living below our means, and smart long-term investing lifestyle giving us the ability to retire very early.

Capitalist Pigs Forever!
Geez! More negativity! You can't drive the economy with non-consumption like that!

(yes, I'm still teasing!)

On serious notes again: Except for the apartment part, sounds good. I don't particularly like that many people around. BTDT didn't like it.

M
Old 09-22-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Yes, I took it out for a ride, and there's definitely some weird noise.

Oh you can't replicate it, oh well. Better replace it to be safe!

It doesn't cost them any money, and the warranty/recall paperwork only indicates that there's some concern, complaint or legitimate issue, that they MAY be able to replicate.

If you tick ANY of those boxes, you'll get a new crankset.
Maybe I'll have another shop check it. ;-)
Old 09-22-2023, 11:21 PM
Administrator

I’m sort of confused based on what I’ve read: is the replacement crankset a new non series item? You get the same replacement if you had DA or Ultegra? Do you get new CRs too or use the old ones? Anyone have a photo of a replacement unit?
Old 09-23-2023, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I’m sort of confused based on what I’ve read: is the replacement crankset a new non series item? You get the same replacement if you had DA or Ultegra? Do you get new CRs too or use the old ones? Anyone have a photo of a replacement unit?
Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Replacement-Shimano-crankset-for-recall-42f6de0.jpg (60.3 KB, 277 views)
Old 09-23-2023, 06:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Now this is interesting.. 12s cranks that can take 11 or 12s chainrings? I guess the spacing issue isn't an issue. Can you do this swapping now in Shimano-land?
The replacement cranks will have specially made 11s chainrings that fit onto 12s cranks..and shimano 'promises' that these made for the recall cranksets will continue to be made...promise.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
The correct answer was "yes"
Except if they send it to shimano and they 'deem' it OK, no replacement and it will cost theLBS labor $...maybe you too.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-23-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:40 AM

For better or worse my 8000 series cranks have a date code that looks to be just a bit more recent than covered by the recall.

Does anyone know if that means they have the more recent design (more/different glue, a different internal design to prevent water egress?) or if Shimano just hasn't decided to recall them yet?

In any case, I'm not super worried. It sounds like for the majority of cases there are a variety of warning signs.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
For better or worse my 8000 series cranks have a date code that looks to be just a bit more recent than covered by the recall.

Does anyone know if that means they have the more recent design (more/different glue, a different internal design to prevent water egress?) or if Shimano just hasn't decided to recall them yet?

In any case, I'm not super worried. It sounds like for the majority of cases there are a variety of warning signs.
ditto mine have UK and UL codes. I am not worried but curious just the same.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:32 AM

I think they'll just go into a giant recycling bin. Doubt they'll put it on a bike and ride it to find out. Never had any feedback from shimano unless someone forgot use the prepaid label they always pay for to put a warranty part in a box and leave it so the fed ex can take it back to them. Their prepaid label is the best in the biz by far

An aside, all the broken cranks I've seen have been on the rides of folks I would consider

(1)toxic sweaters
(2)combined with a chronic need to always destroy equipment before seeking technical or mechanical help. Hard legs, soft mind syndrome

At this point, I could tell you who will break them just by the condition of their bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Except if they send it to shimano and they 'deem' it OK, no replacement and it will cost theLBS labor $...maybe you too.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Shimano doesn't have the time, money, or reason to go through the process of individually making sure each crankset that is under the recall meets some arbitrary assessment.

There's a reason that recalls exist, because within a broad classification of products produced, in this case, 0.59% are likely to have a defect, and it's more cost effective and less time consuming to replace all of them outright rather than trying to fight each individual person's claim that their product is damaged or not.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:24 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
The replacement cranks will have specially made 11s chainrings that fit onto 12s cranks..and shimano 'promises' that these made for the recall cranksets will continue to be made...promise.
Chorus 11s cranks are the answer I expected from the old spud.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Here you go:
I would be bummed to let go of the 9000 crank. Most beautiful shimano crankset in a long while
Old 09-23-2023, 01:01 PM

make sure you dry out the moisture inside before you put the nds preload cap back on if your cranks are still good.

from what i read aluminum oxide is porous and aluminum reacts with water so any moisture trapped inside the crankset will eat through the bonds until they fail.