Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
How does ordering a car and spec'ing all the options compare to buying a new car off the lot when it comes to negotiating?

Is there any flexibility in price when the dealer has to order the car to your specs?
NO!

The only flexibility you might have is to check to see if you brought the parts in if they'll install those parts. For example, dealerships typically charge $60 for one spark plug, the same plug you can buy for $13 or so, ask if you buy the plugs will they install them, and most will say yes, so you saved yourself a bunch of money on plugs. That's the only flexibility you might have.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:19 PM

Quote:
How does ordering a car and spec'ing all the options compare to buying a new car off the lot when it comes to negotiating?

Is there any flexibility in price when the dealer has to order the car to your specs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
NO!

The only flexibility you might have is to check to see if you brought the parts in if they'll install those parts. For example, dealerships typically charge $60 for one spark plug, the same plug you can buy for $13 or so, ask if you buy the plugs will they install them, and most will say yes, so you saved yourself a bunch of money on plugs. That's the only flexibility you might have.
Spark plugs are options on new cars???
Old 03-17-2024, 11:26 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
If it's a Tesla.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
NO!

What does that have to do with ordering a new car?

And no dealership or qualified shop will let you bring your own parts in.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
If it's a Tesla.
Disagree. I guarantee you can not order spark plugs as an option for a Tesla.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Not likely. Most manufactures will lock in current manufacturer incentives at the time if ordering. Dealers want to move in stock inventory. Unless you are ordering something special or limited production would I consider special ordering. You are better off finding a car already on a lot that's close to what you want.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
no, I misread the damn post in my haste, sorry.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:42 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Not likely. Most manufactures will lock in current manufacturer incentives at the time if ordering. Dealers want to move in stock inventory. Unless you are ordering something special or limited production would I consider special ordering. You are better off finding a car already on a lot that's close to what you want.
I'm not sure.. I think it depends on the market you are in.. is there only one dealer of the make you want within a 50-100 mile range? If so, you might be stuck.. but if you are in a larger market like, say, Portland Or, you might be able to get a deal since there are other dealers that you could go to..

I agree that a dealer will want to move inventory off the lot first, but a sale is a sale.. I was able to buy my wife's Crosstrek just as the pandemic was starting for around $5k off MSRP and that was for a car that was ordered, but we had to wait for.. now Subaru is known for not having a lot of options, so not a lot to "special order", but still..

probably just depends on what you're wanting and how "special" will it be..
Old 03-18-2024, 06:27 PM

To answer my questions about pricing for a special order car:

I'm considering a Ford Bronco. For example, all the dealerships are stocking only AWD vehicles and I only need 2WD. I will want a certain color, and other factory options.

If there's no negotiating the price with a special ordered vehicle vs. buying off the lot then I wouldn't want to be going on a fool's errand and be turned down by every dealership.

I would accept paying MSRP for the car because of the special order.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:41 PM
Back At It!

Quote:

I'm considering a Ford Bronco. For example, all the dealerships are stocking only AWD vehicles and I only need 2WD. I will want a certain color, and other factory options.

If there's no negotiating the price with a special ordered vehicle vs. buying off the lot then I wouldn't want to be going on a fool's errand and be turned down by every dealership.

IMHO, there is zero reason to pay MSRP for a Bronco at this point.. even if special ordered.. dealers are still making a profit even if you buy it "at cost", special ordered or not..
Old 03-18-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Bronco is only available in 4WD. Plenty of broncos in stock around me, they will be overflowing dealers lots soon enough. Also I have seen plenty below MSRP.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Email this guy -> https://www.asheboroford.net/staff.aspx

You'll have to go get it in NC, but, bring your bike when it arrives.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:13 PM

I special ordered a new Chevrolet 2500 last summer and received it in November. The dealer was willing to negotiate on price and we settled on a discount similar to in-stock units. I ended up getting exactly what I wanted. The dealer got a sale of a new truck without needing to floorpan it through GM or local bank financing.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:56 PM
Vendor

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

So, I just paid cash for a new car. Literally 10 minutes ago. Couldn't find my checkbook, so paid in change, hence my Ms Piggy bank (you put the coins betwixt the bosoms; it's the best yard sale purchase I ever made).

Anyhoo, yes, it is worth it to negotiate. My process went something like this:

Put my contact info into Sheehy Subaru of Hagerstown's website so I could see pricing on the car I wanted. Moved on with my day to get some work done. 15 minutes later the gentleman in the picture who is wearing shoes called me. I told him I was interested, and that if he could get me the car I was looking at for $24k, he should call me back. We haggled a little and I said 'fine, $24.5.'
Then it turned out the car I was interested in didn't have a couple of features that were important to me, so I upgraded to the next model up the line for another thousand. There were probably 3 back and forth calls where I said, 'Look, if you can get it for me for THIS price, I'm in, if not, I'm out.' And I was very clear that the price we were discussing included EVERYTHING --the check was going to be for that amount, and no additional checks were going to be written. They were good with that, thank goodness.

So I think the official price on this car (Crosstrek Premium with a couple of options) is MSRP between $29k-30k. The 'Dealer Special Price' something like $28, and I paid $25.5. So yes, it is worth it to negotiate, or at least it was for me. Since I don't have time to go into the dealership and hate playing games while I'm there, the phone seemed to work best, just saying 'This is what I'll pay, call me back if you can do it, thanks.'
Old 03-19-2024, 03:23 PM
Back At It!

I had a similar transaction when I bought the wife's Crosstrek Sport back in Feb '21.. MSRP was somthing like $30-31k and we go it for $26k (no tax to speak of in Oregon).. and it was all done over the internet/phone on a car they had ordered, but was still waiting to arrive.. as someone else said, this was a car they didn't need to have sitting on the lot, was a certain sale, etc.. I think we are over paying MSRP for 90% of the new cars out there a this point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

So, I just paid cash for a new car. Literally 10 minutes ago. Couldn't find my checkbook, so paid in change, hence my Ms Piggy bank (you put the coins betwixt the bosoms; it's the best yard sale purchase I ever made).

Anyhoo, yes, it is worth it to negotiate. My process went something like this:

Put my contact info into Sheehy Subaru of Hagerstown's website so I could see pricing on the car I wanted. Moved on with my day to get some work done. 15 minutes later the gentleman in the picture who is wearing shoes called me. I told him I was interested, and that if he could get me the car I was looking at for $24k, he should call me back. We haggled a little and I said 'fine, $24.5.'
Then it turned out the car I was interested in didn't have a couple of features that were important to me, so I upgraded to the next model up the line for another thousand. There were probably 3 back and forth calls where I said, 'Look, if you can get it for me for THIS price, I'm in, if not, I'm out.' And I was very clear that the price we were discussing included EVERYTHING --the check was going to be for that amount, and no additional checks were going to be written. They were good with that, thank goodness.

So I think the official price on this car (Crosstrek Premium with a couple of options) is MSRP between $29k-30k. The 'Dealer Special Price' something like $28, and I paid $25.5. So yes, it is worth it to negotiate, or at least it was for me. Since I don't have time to go into the dealership and hate playing games while I'm there, the phone seemed to work best, just saying 'This is what I'll pay, call me back if you can do it, thanks.'