Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I use a French Press with pre-ground beans from the supermarket. I usually just shake the beans out of the packet into the vessel, just eyeball the quantity. I fill a stainless steel pot with some filtered water, throw it on the stove and pour when I see little bubbles start to appear, but before boiling temp. Then I pour, stir, and let it sit for anywhere between 3-6 minutes, at random just depending on what else I'm doing, before finally pressing and transferring to cup.

Sorry not sorry. I'm so far down the rabbit hole of bikes and other hobbies and know myself well enough to know this whole coffee thing will just tip things over the edge. It's better this way.
Nothing wrong with French Press. It's our go to when traveling by car.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
From what I’ve read, these are all standard sizes. I’m not sure about the rules on linking to other sites but a search on HomeBarista has the parts and tutorials.

I would definitely take this machine off someone’s hands for s&h if they still have it
The orings mostly are. The clips fly into the guts of the machine, and are harder to come by. Eventually much of the plastic brittles and breaks. The opv is junk but can be replaced with a brass part and a bunch of adaptors. I had the machine for several years, had it apart many times, did the opv, pump, orings etc. They got to the point where they'd fail pretty regularly and steam the inside of the machine but good. When it worked it was great. But the build quality was a joke, there's a reason why they're "inexpensive". Very innovative but I'm much happier with an e61.
Old 08-11-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I use a French Press with pre-ground beans from the supermarket. I usually just shake the beans out of the packet into the vessel, just eyeball the quantity. I fill a stainless steel pot with some filtered water, throw it on the stove and pour when I see little bubbles start to appear, but before boiling temp. Then I pour, stir, and let it sit for anywhere between 3-6 minutes, at random just depending on what else I'm doing, before finally pressing and transferring to cup.

Sorry not sorry. I'm so far down the rabbit hole of bikes and other hobbies and know myself well enough to know this whole coffee thing will just tip things over the edge. It's better this way.
I totally understand. I use an Aeropress and a 1ZPresso hand grinder.
Old 08-12-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I totally understand. I use an Aeropress and a 1ZPresso hand grinder.
Plus one!
Old 08-12-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
The orings mostly are. The clips fly into the guts of the machine, and are harder to come by. Eventually much of the plastic brittles and breaks. The opv is junk but can be replaced with a brass part and a bunch of adaptors. I had the machine for several years, had it apart many times, did the opv, pump, orings etc. They got to the point where they'd fail pretty regularly and steam the inside of the machine but good. When it worked it was great. But the build quality was a joke, there's a reason why they're "inexpensive". Very innovative but I'm much happier with an e61.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I appreciate the detail.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:08 PM

I have had the Synchronika for a few weeks now. The extraction is much smoother and consistent than what I previously got as well, and this applies even to half-caf and decaf, which never worked well on the Silvia PID, which played well only with caffeinated medium dark beans in my (perhaps clumsy) hands. It also works well with light roasts, which is another area where I previously didn't have good results.

I've yet to try the steaming function, but I am hoping to take full advantage once the weather gets cooler.

Only downsides are the bulk of the machine (the picture really doesn't capture it, and it looks more svelte than it actually is) and the difficulty with keeping chrome clean. A Profitec 700 (I think the new version is called Profitec Drive?) would be more preferable on the bulk aspect.

Last edited by echappist; 08-16-2024 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I have had the Synchronika for a few weeks now. The extraction is much smoother and consistent than what I previously got as well, and this applies even to half-caf and decaf, which never worked well on the Silvia PID, which played well only with caffeinated medium dark beans in my (perhaps clumsy) hands. It also works well with light roasts, which is another area where I previously didn't have good results.

I've yet to try the steaming function, but I am hoping to take full advantage once the weather gets cooler.

Only downsides are the bulk of the machine (the picture really doesn't capture it, and it looks more svelte than it actually is) and the difficulty with keeping chrome clean. A Profitec 700 (I think the new version is called Profitec Drive?) would be more preferable on the bulk aspect.

Beautiful machine, one that I purchased as well, but ended up returning it before ever using as my wife thought it was just too big. We might get another Rocket machine that measures a little bit smaller.
Old 08-17-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Only downsides are the bulk of the machine (the picture really doesn't capture it, and it looks more svelte than it actually is) and the difficulty with keeping chrome clean.
I've got a similar E61 from QuickMill and my wife tolerates the set-up, but only barely.
As per the keeping the chrome clean, mine is under the upper cabinets and against a wall with my grinder tucked in next to it. This makes it so that it's mostly the face of the machine that is exposed. It does get smudges, drips and splatters, but it's, overall, a space that needs to be wiped down with a grind or two always on the counter (according to her, of course). So the cleaning isn't necessarily burdensome. The size, however, is a factor to consider.

In fact, my son just messaged me yesterday to say that I should try to bring a Manument machine home to recalibrate her sense of the chaos that my current station creates
Old 08-17-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Beautiful machine, one that I purchased as well, but ended up returning it before ever using as my wife thought it was just too big. We might get another Rocket machine that measures a little bit smaller.
For whatever reason, most photos never capture just how large the Synchronika is. Don't think this would have fit inside the kitchen of the duplex we were previously renting.

Rocket recently unveiled the Porta Via, a dual boiler E61 that fits inside a travelling case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
I've got a similar E61 from QuickMill and my wife tolerates the set-up, but only barely.
As per the keeping the chrome clean, mine is under the upper cabinets and against a wall with my grinder tucked in next to it. This makes it so that it's mostly the face of the machine that is exposed. It does get smudges, drips and splatters, but it's, overall, a space that needs to be wiped down with a grind or two always on the counter (according to her, of course). So the cleaning isn't necessarily burdensome. The size, however, is a factor to consider.

In fact, my son just messaged me yesterday to say that I should try to bring a Manument machine home to recalibrate her sense of the chaos that my current station creates
QuickMill makes quite a few sweet machines, though I do like the design of the Manument. Almost looks like one of those really fancy grinders.

We used to have a dark countertop, so the grinds never showed. It's now exceedingly obvious with our lighter colored countertop.

Last edited by echappist; 08-17-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Rocket recently unveiled the Porta Via, a dual boiler E61 that fits inside a travelling case.
Interesting...
I hope I'm done buying equipment ~ at least for myself (added a Compatto for the office last year and had it spend the summer with my son and his partner...so now I've just bought a second Compatto and he's buying the grinder so we'll both have access to good espresso

All machines, it seems, excel in some areas and compromise in others. I'd want to understand what something like that new Rocket gives up in order to be so compact.
This is the same with bicycles (and cars and everything else)...tubes or carbon layups, geometry, components, etc. Everything, including how they're put together, can make a difference (real or perceived).

My priorities are espresso with the very-seldom milk drink, forgiveness in prep (I don't weigh my grounds or shot extraction), durability/service. I DID add the extraction control and that's been a nice addition that makes a difference. And I really like the serviceability of the QuickMill. As I understand it, Izzo is the only one that is easier to work on...
Old 08-17-2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:

That’s a nice looking machine. Aside from the size, it ticks all the boxes. Clive Coffee has this on sale too.
Old 08-18-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting...
I hope I'm done buying equipment ~ at least for myself (added a Compatto for the office last year and had it spend the summer with my son and his partner...so now I've just bought a second Compatto and he's buying the grinder so we'll both have access to good espresso

All machines, it seems, excel in some areas and compromise in others. I'd want to understand what something like that new Rocket gives up in order to be so compact.
This is the same with bicycles (and cars and everything else)...tubes or carbon layups, geometry, components, etc. Everything, including how they're put together, can make a difference (real or perceived).

My priorities are espresso with the very-seldom milk drink, forgiveness in prep (I don't weigh my grounds or shot extraction), durability/service. I DID add the extraction control and that's been a nice addition that makes a difference. And I really like the serviceability of the QuickMill. As I understand it, Izzo is the only one that is easier to work on...
It would appear to be boiler size. Still larger than what one gets in a Profitec 300, but about half of a standard E61 dual boiler (for both brewing and steaming).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
That’s a nice looking machine. Aside from the size, it ticks all the boxes. Clive Coffee has this on sale too.
Thanks for the kind words. The nicest thing about it is how tolerant it is when it comes to puck prep. I had to be very exacting when preparing coffee on my Silvia PID (dial distribution tool, wedge distribution, and "calibrated" tamper). Even with all that, I'd get channeling, although thankfully spraying was rare.

No channeling on the new machine, even when prep is subpar. To someone who is a bit OCD, this tolerance is very welcomed.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:01 PM

I have an Izzo Vivi PID and I can attest that the internal build quality is outstanding-really well done and all of the parts, opv etc are top of the line. The external differences on these machines are almost nil but there is a fairly wide range inside.
Mine is single boiler but I run it at 234 f to get 190ish at the spout, so it'll steam "ok" and its quick and easy to adjust with the PID. Given that I make a milk drink once a month maybe (unless for guests) I wouldn't even look a dual boiler.
That Synch is a beauty though. Everyone I know that has one loves it.
Old 08-18-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Looks like they took a design cue from the movie "Alien."
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0511.jpeg (144.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 08-19-2024, 09:42 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I had a BDB. It was f'in awesome for 3-4 years or so. Then, all the little o rings and silicone hoses and c clips started to seep and blow water under pressure. Breville doesn't sell an of this stuff.
This has also been my experience, with an Oracle.

The parts are mostly available from Amazon mystery vendors, but the c-clips are horrendous. There are deeply recessed screws that hold the upper cover in place, and the hardware is made of cheese, which meant I hade to resort to an impact driver (!).

It's a real shame, because the machine is a decent performer, and the integrated grinder/tamper is a huge plus for those members of my family who really don't want to do that manually.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso