Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 08:51 PM

Some titanium goodness over the years…

Missing from this are an older Moots Compact SL, a Moots Vamoots SL, a Moots Psychlo-X, a Moots Psychlo-X YBB Disc, a YBB SL (his) a YBB SL (hers) and a 650C Serotta Legend (built up for my daughter). The ti’s that bind…
Old 08-22-2024, 11:22 PM

Happy,

Your builds are ALWAYS top notch! Your Serotta travel bike is what I use to inspire me to commit to removing all the cable guides on my Moots CR and go wireless.

Can’t believe I haven’t come across that Firefly! Oof! So good again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Some titanium goodness over the years…

Missing from this are an older Moots Compact SL, a Moots Vamoots SL, a Moots Psychlo-X, a Moots Psychlo-X YBB Disc, a YBB SL (his) a YBB SL (hers) and a 650C Serotta Legend (built up for my daughter). The ti’s that bind…
Are those painted enve 1.0 forks on the compacl-sl and the vamoots rsl? Where did you have it painted?
Old 08-23-2024, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
In my opinion, this is still the most beautiful bike ever. Not road bike, not titanium bike, not rim brake bike. Just plain bike.

Last edited by reuben; 08-23-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:41 AM

It certainly does not suck !
Old 09-01-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Are those painted enve 1.0 forks on the compacl-sl and the vamoots rsl? Where did you have it painted?
It’s actually the same fork. I bought the RSL about a year after the model was introduced, right around the time that TruTemper/Alpha-Q stopped making forks (they were the original supplier of forks for the RSL, and Moots eventually developed their own forks—not just for the RSL, but the RSL was the impetus iirc). Moots let me buy the frame only, and I had Spectrum Powderworks custom paint an Enve fork. Foolish me, I sold both a Vamoots SL and a Compact SL when I got the RSL.

I drew the design and sent it to SPW, and they nailed it. They had the artwork for the Mr. Moots, and the two-color Moots on the inside non-drive side leg was based on the then current logo treatment on Moots’ website (and some clothing, although in blue and white). The main silver color was the result of a back-and-forth exchange. The color is slightly darker than the color of titanium, but when light hits it, it gets the darker shadows on the edges similar to the way titanium tubes look in the light. I think it matches the frame better than trying to get too close in color to raw titanium (as in, for example, the fork on the Legend singlespeed).

I eventually sold the RSL after deciding that I preferred Pronto, but kept the painted Enve fork in case I bought another Moots. Several years later I came across the Compact SL, and built it up with the fork. The stock geometry of the SL wasn’t great for me, so I eventually sold it with the fork.

Somewhere I may still have the drawings that I sent to SPW, but have no idea where. I believe Mosaic bought out SPW and they’re now Mosaic’s in-house paint shop.

Last edited by happycampyer; 09-01-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2024, 12:35 PM

HOLLAND Ti

Frameset purchased here from Clean39T (btw, awesome seller). Still need to make saddle adjustments, add bottle cages, before a proper long ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240925_133024_Gallery.jpg (148.0 KB, 269 views)
Old 09-25-2024, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Jordan Low recently painted a Moots carbon fork for me. Quick turnaround, fair price and great artwork. Highly recommended!
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 09-25-2024, 07:11 PM

Ritchey Ti Cross Breakaway

In the wild - out in the hills and dales a little west of Paris this past Summer. A great travel bike! Latest addition that this build reflected is the switch to Paul Minimotos which make a huge difference. Otherwise it’s a bit of a parts-bin grab bag that is supremely functional in a bike that can be split in two!

MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 155BF5FD-B1EE-4C16-AC2C-4E677D745BD9.jpg (148.9 KB, 150 views)