Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2016, 01:55 PM

that RL is fresh!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 PM

Not my normal gravel rig, but it works with these 28mm Corsa Gs on wide rims. still some rear wheel slip when climbing, but it loves to go downhill!
it as 35 degrees today, got the arm weather kit out:
[IMG]road less travelled by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
I sold my last road bike last year (Sachs ) but I just wasn't riding the road much. However I've realized that I needed something better than my hardtail to ride with my buds occasionally on the road and fondos.

Came across a NOS Salsa Warbird Ti on MTBR and the project started.

Here she is:

Built her up with Force 1x11 hydronic group bits except a rival derailleur. Bars stem and post are form a forumite. My local shop built my wheels: Dt 240 hubs laced to Stans Grail rims. Schwalbe 38mm tires. Can't wait to get this thing on the road and gravel tomorrow morning.

Stoked!

That is gorgeous!!! I love it. I've looked for a Ti Warbird in my size but can't seem to find one. Now I'm motivated to keep up my search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM

This is my backup grinder. A Peter Mooney 650B conversion. Reminds me of an old British Super Touring bike I had decades go. Just nice to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gravel mooney.jpg (90.7 KB, 691 views)
Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 PM

Nice! I wonder if my old Mooney would be a good candidate for 650b....
Old 11-21-2016, 07:28 AM

My BMC Monstercross, an old photo from one of its first test rides but its all ive got on hand.

Has fatter tires now, different drive chain, and has bar tape. But the concept is the same now as it was than, a bad ass all road all trail vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmc.jpg (83.6 KB, 624 views)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:15 PM

Co-Motion "Moulu", had this a couple years now, wonderful ride, recently added the Sugino OX601D crankset (44/32) and Berthoud saddle.

20161111_moulu02.jpg
Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Salsa Fargo. It's not unique or sexy, but it seems to check off all the boxes of what I'm looking for, is very affordable, and I've never met someone who's ridden one and disliked it.

I want to start doing more off road riding and bikepacking and this seems to fit the bill in every way. The downside is that n has to remain the same, so I'll probably have to sell my beloved Soma ES to make room. That also means the Fargo will be my year-round commuter. I guess I better get used to being on a heavy, slow fatter tire bike. At least the disc brakes will be nice during the 8 rainy months out of the year.

I'll probably get a seatpost mounted rack so I can use panniers for commuting, but easily take it off for other riding.

The one lingering question I keep coming back to is whether I'm happy with the Woodchipper drop bars or if I'd prefer some Jones bars, which I've never tried.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
a Salsa Fargo. It's not unique or sexy, but it seems to check off all the boxes of what I'm looking for, is very affordable, and I've never met someone who's ridden one and disliked it.

I want to start doing more off road riding and bikepacking and this seems to fit the bill in every way. The downside is that n has to remain the same, so I'll probably have to sell my beloved Soma ES to make room. That also means the Fargo will be my year-round commuter. I guess I better get used to being on a heavy, slow fatter tire bike. At least the disc brakes will be nice during the 8 rainy months out of the year.
Yikes, it sounds like you are talking yourself into a bike that you will have to tolerate rather than enjoy. Keep looking!

Instagram
Old 11-22-2016, 04:09 PM

This RB-T was my gravel bike for D2R2 last year, minus fenders and basket, and with Gevenalle 2x10 shifters instead of the 8 speed Campagnolo. It was awesome. It's now my daily commuter, taking me back and forth over the NYC bridges. It got a fair amount of gravel up in Putnam County last Spring, but now is relegated to city streets as I pound salt during a busy autumn at work....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (87.6 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by VoyTirando; 11-22-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo once again!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpack22@ma View Post
Nice! I wonder if my old Mooney would be a good candidate for 650b....
Maybe. 42 mm tires are tight on mine. 38 mm is fine. I have 42 mm rear and 38 mm front on it right now.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwla View Post
My BMC Monstercross, an old photo from one of its first test rides but its all ive got on hand.

Has fatter tires now, different drive chain, and has bar tape. But the concept is the same now as it was than, a bad ass all road all trail vehicle.
I couldn't for the life of me remember when BMC made a steel cross anything, till I realized you meant Black Mountain Cycles.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:48 PM

...and this is the new gravel rider, the Bilenky S+S Signature Ultralight from here!

... which frankly could be the 'one.' i.e. the everything bike. currently set up with 23c's for the city, park laps, 9W rides, but ready for gravel once our little teeny baby starts sleeping a little bit. It was stronzo's and Joostx's before that. Now it's mine! It rides wonderfully now that I'm getting it set up correctly for me.

It's set up with Campy 10 speed: Record shifters (thanks to OldPotatoe for rebuilding!), Chorus FD, Veloce hubs, Centaur long-cage rear derailleur. I used White Industries VBC cranks to get a low range for the gravel roads (new arms, used rings from the fleabay), and my favorite bits of all, Dia Compe Gran Comp vintage centerpulls (instead of Paul Racer Ms), which stop and modulate wonderfully and look slick as hell. Cockpit is Nitto.

It feels very, very good, at least as good as my SLX Pinarello Montello. Very excited to see what it can do on the dirt....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bilenky from side.jpg (115.7 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg bilenky from rear.jpg (136.5 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg Bilenky from Front.jpg (122.8 KB, 464 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Yikes, it sounds like you are talking yourself into a bike that you will have to tolerate rather than enjoy. Keep looking!
Oops, that's not the impression I was trying to make at all. The Fargo meets everything I'm looking for. I'd be bummed to sell my Soma, but it wouldn't really fill a niche anymore. I'm also fine with the idea of a slower more stable commuter bike. It will definitely be more comfortable on our crappy roads and I won't have to be as concerned about slipping into the light rail tracks.

I just mean that saying I'm buying a Fargo is not as cool sounding as a DeSalvo or Ti IndyFab. Frankly, if I were to get a custom build it would be steel with pretty much the same geometry as the Fargo, plus I'd have to pay extra for all the braze-ons and such. Honestly, the one thing I don't like that much about the Salsa is the sloping top tube. But that's strictly aesthetics on my part and it makes a whole lot of sense for the type of riding I plan on doing. A flat tt might look nicer, but not at the expense of losing the extra standover height while riding down single track.

Nope, I'm excited about the prospect of making this purchase.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:39 AM

@VoyTirando

Being a fellow Brooklynite I am wondering where do you get your gravel fix?.