Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 10:06 PM

Did I see that wrong, or did Yedlin needlessly pushing forward with a 2 goal lead force Robinson into that tactical foul that means he won't be available for the next match?

And yes... Dos a Cero.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Did I see that wrong, or did Yedlin needlessly pushing forward with a 2 goal lead force Robinson into that tactical foul that means he won't be available for the next match?

And yes... Dos a Cero.
Pushing forward, he sure did. But I'm not so sure about needlessly. This is how a modern fullback plays, and in general, the risk:reward is worth it (sitting back and inviting pressure can often end up being costly).

Adams and M. Robinson were doubled up on Chucky, the mistake was that both bit on Chucky's feint, which took Adams out of the picture and left M. Robinson the only one who could do something. Unfortunately, he tripped Chucky.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:34 PM

It's too bad we have to have berhalter and not someone like , say Tata Martinez </sarcasm>

Dos a Cero, Dos a Cero, Dos a Cero, Dos a Cero
Old 11-12-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
It's too bad we have to have berhalter and not someone like , say Tata Martinez </sarcasm>

Dos a Cero, Dos a Cero, Dos a Cero, Dos a Cero
At this rate, Tata Martinez should start charging Berhalter rent for living rent free. Who would have thought that Martinez would take the L tres ocasiones in one year? I sure didn't. Tata Martinez isn't coaching El Tri; he's coaching LLL Tri.

I think we are seeing how without undue meddling from GGG, the players are talented and tactically aware enough to get things done.

Just imagine if Jesse Marsch were coaching this team.

And now for some major s***housing.

Meme Ochoa claimed: "Mexico is the mirror in which the United States wants to see itself."

Pulisic responds "I am the man in the mirror." Top bantering.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Just imagine if Jesse Marsch were coaching this team.

Pulisic responds "I am the man in the mirror." Top bantering.
At this rate Marsch may be available soon
Old 11-13-2021, 10:20 AM

Sorry @wc1934, but seems like the Mexican winger on Napoli is yet another cheating scumbag. I would hope that at the end of the day you recognize Chucky for the player that he is: a less vile and less skilled version of Luis Suarez. I really wouldn't be sad to see him sprain his ligaments if he were to attempt the Chucky maneuver again (details below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post

And yes... Dos a Cero.
I had another look of the replay, after becoming aware of a similar incident involving Chucky Lozano.

In view of that, I'd say that Chucky bought the yellow. Notice how Chucky swept his right leg across Robinson to draw contact. (link should take you 11:10 into the video, the leg sweeping occurs at 11:15). It's easy to miss, because we are seeing the back of both players. And as it happens in an instant, it's very easy to miss if you don't look for it.

But in light of a similar incident involving Alphonso Davies and Chucky, it's apparent that Chucky knows what he's doing. It's not even drawing of a foul (that implies normal shielding of the ball), but rather initiating contact to buy a decision. I didn't watch the match live, but fortunately, Paramount+ has it on-demand. Incident occurs ~84:10, with Chucky dribbling and Davies having caught up to the former. Then Chucky somehow manages to side-scissor tackle Davies. I've seen trailing defenders scissor a ball carrier (that's usually a yellow if not a red card offense). This is the first time I've seen a ball carrier attempt the same to a trailing defender, both incidents involving the same ball carrier, no less. Chucky bought himself a yellow (no surprise there; thanks, Concacaf refs!), but really, he's the one who initiated the dangerous contact.

In light of that, while Chucky is indeed talented enough to fool both Adams and Robinson with a feint, Robinson got Concacafed (like Aaronson and McKennie).

Also, I hope the moose-mounted beavers curb stump LLL Tri into the tundra on Tuesday. That would be glorious.

And to think, I still remember feeling bad for the LLL when it went out of the 2014 WC thanks to the theatrics of another cheating scumbag, "flying" Arjen Robbens. Now it just seems to be karma for all the unnecessary ****housery. Quite a few on the LLL can stoop to the level of Luis Suarez, except without the talent. We have Chucky, who has perfected the art of the scissortackle + dive; Moreno who knees opponents in the back when they are prone on the ground; Guardado the neck choker; Herrera the neck choker; and Rodgriguez the eye gouger. It's a Ramos + Pepe level of villainy, except again, with only half the skills.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:07 PM

Hey Jim
How's it going - I was never a big Chuckie fan - especially not for the signing price Napoli paid.
I watched the game yesterday - he should have scored early on in the game (glad he didnt). I am not sure about the foul - I see that all the time - defenders runs up the back of the player with the ball (sometimes the offensive player slows down/stops to draw the contact - but it is still a foul).
To me (and this seems to apply to all sports), the rules "they are a-changin" - and not for the better.

I will end up being maniacal if things go south on Monday
Old 11-13-2021, 07:06 PM

Boy, did the Dutch bottle this.

Orangje will need at least a draw against a Haaland-less Norway. Turkey will need a win (against a rather tough Montenegro team that drew the Dutch today) and hope that Norway can win
Old 11-14-2021, 04:00 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha. I hope that brought a smile to your face, @WC1934!

Henry the Navigator, Vasco da Gama, Ferdinand Magellan, Luis Figo, Eusebio, Jose Mourinho. Oi, Jose, can you hear me? Your boys, etc...

Also, apparently the only famous Portuguese I know are either navigators or football players/coaches...

ETA: I'm sure Portugal will make it to Qatar. But for one night, this is just top fodder for bantering.

Last edited by echappist; 11-14-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:11 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
At this rate Marsch may be available soon
Berhalter got the tactics & the lineup spot on. High pressure for 90 minutes & El Tri would start to wilt -- which they did. That is one huge upside for having kids in their teens and early twenties pressuring a bunch of old men in their 30s. That first 20 minutes was a track meet -- Advantage: USMNT.

Overall, great game for USMNT in pretty much every respect. Yeah, going to need a CB and an CAM for the next match, but the blueprint for success is there and the kids are starting to figure out GB's system.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Hahahahahahahahahaha. I hope that brought a smile to your face, @WC1934!

Henry the Navigator, Vasco da Gama, Ferdinand Magellan, Luis Figo, Eusebio, Jose Mourinho. Oi, Jose, can you hear me? Your boys, etc...

Also, apparently the only famous Portuguese I know are either navigators or football players/coaches...

ETA: I'm sure Portugal will make it to Qatar. But for one night, this is just top fodder for bantering.
hahah - yup - crybaby7 in tears - Serbia has their number.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Berhalter got the tactics & the lineup spot on. High pressure for 90 minutes & El Tri would start to wilt -- which they did. That is one huge upside for having kids in their teens and early twenties pressuring a bunch of old men in their 30s. That first 20 minutes was a track meet -- Advantage: USMNT.

Overall, great game for USMNT in pretty much every respect. Yeah, going to need a CB and an CAM for the next match, but the blueprint for success is there and the kids are starting to figure out GB's system.
exactly - that high press (youngsters can run all day) is the key for the USMNT. Many teams are not used to playing out of the back - not ready nor used to it.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:05 PM

Oh my, need two screens here.

Switzerland 2 - 0 up at home; Italy presently held to a draw.

Last edited by echappist; 11-15-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:14 PM

Blimey! So close, two Swiss goals (properly) chalked off for offside. Two more hit the woodworks.

Edit: there's the third goal. Can Italy score two? Can Bulgaria nick an away goal? So much drama!

Last edited by echappist; 11-15-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:24 PM

Blimey, so close for a goal in the N. Irl - Italy game, and it came from a N. Irish counter. Lad should have buried it.

Donnaruma plays sweeper keeper but misses the ball, and the N. Irl shot is cleared off the line by an Italian defender. Not quite what we expected.

ETA: Switzerland scores another; Italy needs to score three now!

Last edited by echappist; 11-15-2021 at 03:35 PM.