Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 09:27 AM
hoolered

100 percent agree with this. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Dr Seuss bikes.

Last edited by hummus_aquinas; 09-20-2024 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The world needs less "us vs them"

Too many things today are too polarizing, pick a side and stick to it sort of stuff.

Riding bikes should not be like that. Anyone should feel free to ride a racing style drop bar bike in full kit today, and go get tacos and beer on a flat pedal cruiser tomorrow. It's all good.
Well, said, Angry.

No need to amplify marketing dogma in here. So many of us have owned all of it, and enjoyed all of it; thank goodness for the bike biz. And for getting old... with legs!

And, for the painters! Otherwise, how the hell would be able to tell the difference?
Old 09-20-2024, 10:15 AM
Meh

Quote:

Too many things today are too polarizing, pick a side and stick to it sort of stuff.

Riding bikes should not be like that. Anyone should feel free to ride a racing style drop bar bike in full kit today, and go get tacos and beer on a flat pedal cruiser tomorrow. It's all good.
Yes.

You probably need to tell that to Grant, though.

Quote:
“Bikes are turning ugly,” Petersen recently wrote. “I personally have more respect, tons of respect, for somebody who rides around town, to work, for shopping, and for fun, than somebody who does front-flips on handrails with a fifty-foot dropoff on one side.”
He's picking sides here. I say, why not both?
Old 09-20-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Dr Seuss bikes.
Actually those step through long chainstay builds appear to be strongly influenced or copies of the rig ridden by Margaret Hamilton in the Wizard of Oz. Hide your cairn terrier or small dogs if you see one of those abominations in your neighborhood.
Old 09-20-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
What's the deal with the long chainstay bikes?

Is that basically to keep you from being too far over the back wheel on a laid back bike and/or match the front end better?

Are those really smooth over bumps the same way pushing the wheels out to the corners on cars helps?
I tried a Riv once and was quite impressed. I’m 6’3” so most bikes I’ve owned I’ve always sorta felt pitched forward and over the bike rather than in the bike once you have an appropriate chain stay length. It makes me wonder why a 50cm frame often has the same cs length as a 60cm…
Old 09-20-2024, 12:10 PM
Meh

Per-size proportional chainstay length is all the rage in mountain bikes these days.

I really liked the Ritchey Outback v2 which has Riv-like long chainstays, though they aren't size-specific, and I am tall.

How much of the objection to the chainstay lengths are coming from aesthetic preferences rooted in vintage steel racing bikes?
Old 09-20-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I enjoy Rivs. I've owned one and very much enjoyed the ride quality, but sold it because it didn't do what I needed it to do and I only have so much room.

However, Riv existing has been very important to me as a cyclist. I grew up on BMX, then entered the world of a Surly-riding bike punks about 20 years ago. I discovered Riv and I liked their version of exceptionally nice, practical bikes. I could never afford one, though. I moved to L.A. and stopped cycling because my cycling life was only commuting and "bike-weirdo-ing".

Years later, I got into road riding. I got a carbon bike, then a better carbon bike. I was getting exercise and losing weight and it felt great. Still, I got bored with these rides. I shifted back to the Riv style, but I also got bored with those rides. I realized that no one, pre-defined viewpoint or method of riding was going to work for me. The bike was exercise, commuting, fun with friends, exploring, testing myself, tinkering, and many other things.

I needed a bit from like 5 or 6 different bike culture groups in order to fine a truly fulfilling and well rounded cycling experience. I strongly believe that Riv exposure allowed me to think thinkgs like "F- it, what do I need to do to make this bike work for me and my specific needs and desires?" Without Riv exposure 20 years ago, I'd probably have tried cycling in one mode or methodology, enjoyed it for a bit, and then given up.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Dr Seuss bikes.
If I recall correctly, Mary Poppins rode a similar bike. Good enough for me.

Uncle Albert, a spoonful sugar...
Old 09-20-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
I needed a bit from like 5 or 6 different bike culture groups in order to fine a truly fulfilling and well rounded cycling experience. I strongly believe that Riv exposure allowed me to think thinkgs like "F- it, what do I need to do to make this bike work for me and my specific needs and desires?" Without Riv exposure 20 years ago, I'd probably have tried cycling in one mode or methodology, enjoyed it for a bit, and then given up.
Great approach. Switching between the different culture groups on a regular basis really keeps everything fresh and makes you appreciate all the other types of cycling.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Per-size proportional chainstay length is all the rage in mountain bikes these days.

I really liked the Ritchey Outback v2 which has Riv-like long chainstays, though they aren't size-specific, and I am tall.

How much of the objection to the chainstay lengths are coming from aesthetic preferences rooted in vintage steel racing bikes?
I'm not sure where the "tukt" thing came from, though I feel like 2000s era fixie culture bears a lot of blame. And maybe the Kona Honzo. I do know that I tend to prefer slightly longish (maybe not Riv long) chainstays as well, especially offroad.
Old 09-20-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:

There are plenty of vintage steel bikes that have longer chainstays. Not current-Rivendell-long, but 42-45cm. It's the "racing" part of bikes that emphasized short chainstays, at least during the golden era of the late-70's to late 80's when paved roads where in generally good shape.
Old 09-20-2024, 02:58 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
There are plenty of vintage steel bikes that have longer chainstays. Not current-Rivendell-long, but 42-45cm. It's the "racing" part of bikes that emphasized short chainstays, at least during the golden era of the late-70's to late 80's when paved roads where in generally good shape.
Definitely, that's why I said vintage racing bikes. I've heard various explanations for this originally - one being a (perceived) need to enable teammates to draft as closely as possible without touching wheels.

If that's what you are used to as an ideal it might make other things look weird.
Old 09-20-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Likewise with v3. It does everything very good. It descends roads better than recent bikes I’ve ridden. I really like the Outback!
Old 09-22-2024, 08:26 AM

Someone made a comment that Grant may next write a book telling people who have running shoes that they're doing it wrong. That's what I think when I read one of his books.
Bicycling is multi faceted jewel and all sides are equally beautiful in my opinion. Whether that's going to get groceries on an Omafiets or doing a club century ride in the club lycra. Cyclotourists are having as much fun as track racers. Quit trying to make one group feel like they're doing it wrong.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:49 AM

Imho, spec needs riv as much as riv needs spec.