Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 02:16 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The initial inspection to qualify the crank is on the bike. If the bike has a date code involved in the recall, then it is more carefully inspected involving washing.
OK … still doesn't make any sense.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
The two letters, OI, are listed under the recall. So no, you're not safe, and would be better suited to getting a replacement set.

Also, because it's a picture, I'm assuming that it's a lighting issue. But there looks like there's a gap on the left side of the crankset?

If that's actually a gap, stop riding those asap.
Thanks, I read the code as "zero one." Just dropped off the bike at my LBS - the lead mechanic will call me this afternoon with his assessment.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:35 PM

Just took my DA bike to the shop and left it to have it checked out.

I was told that the shop is paid by Shimano ONLY if the cranks set needs to be replaced. If true, that's really sleazy on the part of Shimano.

Never been much of a Shimano fan but was talked into two bikes with their groups in 2019 because they were said to have the better disk brakes. They have functioned fine so far but this makes me greatly regret their purchase.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:39 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
All very helpful. My n=1 bike is a Seven Axiom SL with mid-reach brakes and 32mm tires so road riding and some not so difficult non-paved and gravel stuff. This is why I thought the Ultegra RX clutch derailleur would be a nice addition.
N = 1? What kind of communist talk is that?! We don't need that kind of negativity here!

On a serious note: your use case is pretty much optimal for that clutched derailleur

M
Old 09-22-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Just took my DA bike to the shop and left it to have it checked out.

I was told that the shop is paid by Shimano ONLY if the cranks set needs to be replaced. If true, that's really sleazy on the part of Shimano.

Never been much of a Shimano fan but was talked into two bikes with their groups in 2019 because they were said to have the better disk brakes. They have functioned fine so far but this makes me greatly regret their purchase.
Yeah right, for a 30 second inspection? It'd cost more to process the payment.

This is basically driving free traffic to the store, the shop should be paying Shimano...
Old 09-22-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Yeah right, for a 30 second inspection? It'd cost more to process the payment.

This is basically driving free traffic to the store, the shop should be paying Shimano...
note: "only if replaced"

So they clean it, inspect it, maybe pull it, take photos of it, upload photos, remove crank, send to Shimano, Shimano says NO Problem with the crank. Cranks get sent back, need to be reinstalled.

And I guess at that point I have to pay the shop.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Is that an electric bike/motor?

Not sure all cranks have warranties that will cove this specific "use case".
Yeah crashing 60 lb e -mountain bikes is a whole nuther thing 😀
Old 09-22-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
note: "only if replaced"

So they clean it, inspect it, maybe pull it, take photos of it, upload photos, remove crank, send to Shimano, Shimano says NO Problem with the crank. Cranks get sent back, need to be reinstalled.

And I guess at that point I have to pay the shop.
I don't think you understand.

Bike shops would kill their mothers for foot traffic right now. You can't make the sale without someone in the store, getting someone in the store without having to slash prices in a huge win for them.
Old 09-22-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
I don't think you understand.

Bike shops would kill their mothers for foot traffic right now. You can't make the sale without someone in the store, getting someone in the store without having to slash prices in a huge win for them.
I'd imagine shops are less than thrilled about the possibility of every Shimano bike they've sold in recent history (many customers likely won't have read/understood the recall) coming in for triage, disassembly, cleaning, inspection, packing, shipping, storage, receiving, reassembly, all while trying to allay frustrated customers. Doesn't seem like the setting for a sales boom
Old 09-22-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelbackkid View Post
I'd imagine shops are less than thrilled about the possibility of every Shimano bike they've sold in recent history (many customers likely won't have read/understood the recall) coming in for triage, disassembly, cleaning, inspection, packing, shipping, storage, receiving, reassembly, all while trying to allay frustrated customers. Doesn't seem like the setting for a sales boom
Hyperbole aside, given the failure rates provided already, how many do you think they're actually shipping back after the quick 30 second inspection?
Old 09-22-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
N = 1? What kind of communist talk is that?! We don't need that kind of negativity here!

On a serious note: your use case is pretty much optimal for that clutched derailleur

M
No Commies here.

A life choice (with the wife) for a 1 bedroom apt, somewhat minimalist (i.e. 1 really nice bike), living below our means, and smart long-term investing lifestyle giving us the ability to retire very early.

Capitalist Pigs Forever!

Last edited by NYCfixie; 09-22-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Aren't there (as mentioned by Bikincris) 4 instruction videos that covered this somewhere within? Anyway that we can all watch these?
The videos were posted on the S-Tec training site. I wonder if someone hasn't posted them on YouTube already?
Old 09-22-2023, 04:52 PM

Man I wish I knew about this issue earlier. I installed an 6800 group including the FC-6800 MJ crank on my Indy Fab. A couple of years ago I developed a creaking sound so installed a new bottom bracket and tried different pedals - no improvement. Then moved onto my seat, seat post - nope. Decided the creak was coming from my glued in seat post insert and replaced that. (A royal pain in the ass and very stupid in retrospect). Finally, switch out my crank set with an old Shimano 7800 one I had on another bike. That solved it. The problem now it that there is no obvious problem with crank. The bonding looks ok and I don't feel any movement when trying to manipulate spindle by hand. I am not sure how a bike mechanic going to diagnose this or any other crankset as defective.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Thanks, I read the code as "zero one." Just dropped off the bike at my LBS - the lead mechanic will call me this afternoon with his assessment.
My shop did an inspection and called to ask if I'd heard any creaking. When I said "no" they told me everything was fine - no warranty replacement for me.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
There's some more information on how the recall is being handled in this article on the Bicycle Retailer And Industry News web site:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...4-500-incident

A few tidbits from the article:

Replacement cranks will be based on current 12spd cranks with special chainrings for 11spd compatibility. They claim these special chainrings will continue to be available in the future (so customers can replace them when the original ones wear out).
Now this is interesting.. 12s cranks that can take 11 or 12s chainrings? I guess the spacing issue isn't an issue. Can you do this swapping now in Shimano-land?