Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 AM

You aren't missing out. It's massively scheiße. Could be argued though that Schweinsteiger didn't take too much of a step down from ManU though...

I remember watching the 2016 MLS final btwn Toronto and Seattle. Just massively unwatchable. Players can't string together passes and no ball control. In comparison, brick-for-limbs Lukaku would appear almost silky smooth on the ball
Old 10-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Damn, Northern Ireland was so valiant and played its heart out. Just not quite enough...

That's a bit cruel...
Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
You aren't missing out. It's massively scheiße. Could be argued though that Schweinsteiger didn't take too much of a step down from ManU though...

I remember watching the 2016 MLS final btwn Toronto and Seattle. Just massively unwatchable. Players can't string together passes and no ball control. In comparison, brick-for-limbs Lukaku would appear almost silky smooth on the ball
The only thing MLS I ever watched (on TV) was the MLS Allstars vs. FCB back in 2014 in Portland.
To your point: unwatchable.
Funny thing, Bayern actually lost 1:2 LOL
Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I was wondering if either resident Bayern fans was going to mention
him

Didnt realize how good he was at free kicks.

Did you watch him play for Chicago?
He was pretty good at everything; started as technical winger, got re-invented by LvG as central midfielder; partnership Martinez/Basti was the pivot that made the 2013 triple crown possible. Not to mention that he could have made it as a professional skier, too; as a junior, he would battle his buddy, the later olympic gold medalist Felix Neureuther, on eye level.

Absolute legend and the front man of the best team ever to wear the Bayern jersey. No allures either, in his Munich time, he was often seen kicking a ball around with friends in the english garden, attending some lower league football match (absolute football nut), or sitting at the steps of the Gärtnerplatz fountain at night alongside a few other night owls, just enjoying a beer.

...in the meantime, our dumbo coach is pulling a Mourinho on Müller and our geriatric board does nothing to stop it. #sad...

..at least old man Franck won "player of the month" in the serie A.

Last edited by martl; 10-11-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
He was pretty good at everything; started as technical winger, got re-invented by LvG as central midfielder; partnership Martinez/Basti was the pivot that made the 2013 triple crown possible. Not to mention that he could have made it as a professional skier, too; as a junior, he would battle his buddy, the later olympic gold medalist Felix Neureuther, on eye level.

Absolute legend and the front man of the best team ever to wear the Bayern jersey. No allures either, in his Munich time, he was often seen kicking a ball around with friends in the english garden, attending some lower league football match (absolute football nut), or sitting at the steps of the Gärtnerplatz fountain at night alongside a few other night owls, just enjoying a beer.

...in the meantime, our dumbo coach is pulling a Mourinho on Müller and our geriatric board does nothing to stop it. #sad...

..at least old man Franck won "player of the month" in the serie A.
While I agree with pretty much everything you say, I would argue that the '73 - '76 squad is still unmatched to this day.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
While I agree with pretty much everything you say, I would argue that the '73 - '76 squad is still unmatched to this day.
They have more legend appeal, but they were a bunch of arrogant pricks, not bothering to play football sometimes at all - saw them in a fair bit of completely lacklustre 0-0s against under-par opposition... Of course, they could hammer any opposition if they wanted to.
The 2009-2015 squad was so much better in every aspect, more entertaining to watch, more technical, more consistent

Last edited by martl; 10-11-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
They have more legend appeal, but they were a bunch of arrogant pricks, not bothering to play football sometimes at all - saw them in a fair bit of completely lacklustre 0-0s against under-par opposition... Of course, they could hammer any opposition if they wanted to.
The 2009-2015 squad was so much better in every aspect, more entertaining to watch, more technical, more consistent
Hmm, you just provided quite a bit of ammunition to the many FCB haters here since the majority of those "arrogant pricks" you are referring to have shaped the image of the club from the 90s up to today in high ranking positions.
Just saying...
Also, some of that perceived arrogance was countered by down to earth nice guys like Kalle Schwarzenbeck, Bulle Roth or iconic Sepp Maier.

Comparing the technical level of the game in the 70s and now is like apples and oranges. Day and night.
I would argue that if you teleported Cruyff, Pele or Beckenbauer on the pitch of any 2nd division match in any of the leading leagues today, they wouldn't know what hit them.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Hmm, you just provided quite a bit of ammunition to the many FCB haters here since the majority of those "arrogant pricks" you are referring to have shaped the image of the club from the 90s up to today in high ranking positions.
Just saying...
Also, some of that perceived arrogance was countered by down to earth nice guys like Kalle Schwarzenbeck, Bulle Roth or iconic Sepp Maier.

Comparing the technical level of the game in the 70s and now is like apples and oranges. Day and night.
I would argue that if you teleported Cruyff, Pele or Beckenbauer on the pitch of any 2nd division match in any of the leading leagues today, they wouldn't know what hit them.
Surely not Cruijff, the guy who invented the eponymous turn?

also, am I one of the said FCB haters? Didn't know there's a posse of them here
Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Just saying...
true, also Gerd Müller. Had the good luck to meet him briefly before he became ill, and a humbler, nicer human being has rarely crossed my path. He never stopped being slightly embarrassed about the fuzz that mas made over him.
Quote:
I happen to disagree. Their talent, and that of other idols of that time, be it Puskas, di Stefano or Sindelar, was head and shoulders above anyone elses at their time, and that wouldn't have changed. Were they active today, they would have todays fitness level, athleticism, and tactical acumen too. Todays heroes are not more talented than them, just the game has progressed.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:

I happen to disagree. Their talent, and that of other idols of that time, be it Puskas, di Stefano or Sindelar, was head and shoulders above anyone elses at their time, and that wouldn't have changed. Were they active today, they would have todays fitness level, athleticism, and tactical acumen too. Todays heroes are not more talented than them, just the game has progressed.
We are actually in total agreement on this one.
I said if you teleported those guys, i.e. their fitness level and what you call "tactical acumen" from back in their days.
The change of the game over the years is exactly what makes it more enjoyable to watch.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Did you read where Petr Cech signed on as the goalkeeper for (Guildford Phoenix) 4th tier British ice hockey team?
https://www.beinsports.com/us/hockey...y-debu/1318920
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 PM

The video on BeIn wasn't very good. Was it a good save?

Otoh, the man who always wore a mask can now wear a full face mask

------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, some rules in football are just woefully stupid.

First is giving the Bulgarian fans three opportunities to get their act together. They've already received a slap on the wrist with the half-capacity stadium ban, except the people they let in kept up the act.

Then there's the penalty call in the UKR - POR game. Ball hit the defender in the thigh, then deflected upwards and struck the defender in the arm, all the while the defender was mostly prone. No way his arm could have avoided it, but, penalty called. To make it worse, the poor dude gets a card for his trouble and is sent off. Asinine
Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 PM

Players Tribune sometimes have decent articles - here is one on Buffon.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...y%20Newsletter
Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM

damn, the MNT gets a deux-a-zéro, at the hands of Canada, no less

pathetic...

Berlhalter out
Old 10-16-2019, 05:41 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Fire. Berhalter. Today.

That was embarrassing. Score should have been much, much worse if not for Aaron Long.

So tactically naïve, once again GB failed to adjust. He is so inflexible. He got outcoached AGAIN.

World Cup qualification is not a sure thing at this point. I'd put it at 50/50. They are a wreck.