Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Sorta

I mean yeah lance was a bully, but I assumed he was doping from the beginning so it was no punch to my gut. I purchased no bill of goods, I just watched some bike racing.
I'll just say that I also always assumed that he was doping, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise (however myopic that might have been), and so whatever my predispostion, it was a let-down....not to mention the aggression/arrogance....
Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I'll just say that I also always assumed that he was doping, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise (however myopic that might have been), and so whatever my predispostion, it was a let-down....not to mention the aggression/arrogance....
Totally understandable.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Some of y'all are acting like ole LA came over to your house and kicked your dog for no apparent reason.

I had Alvaro Meijia's (sp?) used water bottle from the end of the Tour du Pont stage into Blacksburg that LA won. Bout the closest I've gotten to the guy. I don't know him from Adam. Haven't ever personally spoken with the guy. What he did to someone else hasn't affected me in the slightest. Didn't even get that close to GL

M
Old 06-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Some of y'all are acting like ole LA came over to your house and kicked your dog for no apparent reason.
M
Well, apparently it wasn't exactly for "no apparent reason", but we only found that out much later.

Our youngest innocent child-like daughter named the barely-born mutt mini poodle-chihuahua-terrier puppy, with only three legs and a bad cough, that we found shivering abandoned under a freeway bridge, "Betsy" for some obscure reason, and the next thing we know Lance is standing there screaming at the dog at the top of his lungs in our living room at 3:30 in the morning, "Betsy" has three broken legs, who knows how many cracked ribs, bruises all over, is panicking at the sight of this strange enraged guy all dressed up in a faded yellow TdF Discovery Channel kit, and in addition to the vet bills we also need a new front and screen door. It was pretty intense.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

I had Alvaro Meijia's (sp?) used water bottle from the end of the Tour du Pont stage into Blacksburg that LA won. Bout the closest I've gotten to the guy. I don't know him from Adam. Haven't ever personally spoken with the guy. What he did to someone else hasn't affected me in the slightest. Didn't even get that close to GL

M
Funny - I was in Blacksburg at that same time, on both the Mtn. Lake climb where he dramatically dropped Ekimov and won the race, and also at the next day start. That planted the seed of how impressed I was with him over time, and unfortunately, it's exactly what I think of now when look back at all his antics....

Last edited by OtayBW; 06-02-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:12 PM

What is up those bags under his eyes?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Funny - I was in Blacksburg at that same time, on both the Mtn. Lake climb where he dramatically dropped Ekimov and won the race, and also at the next day start. That planted the seed of how impressed I was with him over time, and unfortunately, it's exactly what I think of now when look back at all his antics....
I was a volunteer for the next day's start at one of the cross streets going out of town. Jumped in a car with 4 of my friends and drove down to see the finish at Banner Elk. Man! That hill was STEEP with a capital STEEP!

I watched even the 'slow' guys climb the hills around the 'Burg faster than I could get up em. Guess that's why they were pros and I wasn't. (among other reasons)

M
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
Big Mig didn’t sign the WADA code. It didn’t exist, therefore the mechanism for investigation didn’t exist within an international governing body.

Lance did, thanks to his ill-advised and hubris-fueled comeback and the documents he signed. If he stayed away, he would still be on the record books for something other than sporting fraud.

I would prefer if the entire EPO generation would just go away and have nothing to do with cycling at any level. Vino, Riis, and any number of others are a dark stain on the sport, and Lance is the king skid mark.
Bingo. He just couldn't help himself - he just HAD to come back.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Might as well re-read this then.

http://stevetilford.com/2013/12/14/g...f-forby-lance/
Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 AM

Fun interview to watch.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-...derson/4310658
Old 06-07-2019, 03:36 AM

I think it is pretty simple math. Even after getting caught, sued and fined, he still has millions. If he had never doped, it's doubtful he would ever have had the success which enabled him to enrich himself.

Moral of the story is financial penalties rarely punish the crime, and a rational actor will commit fraud.

Would you rather be rich and scorned, or forgottened?
It's a professional sport. It's always about the money. If you think it is not about the money, you really aren't pro.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:58 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I think it is pretty simple math. Even after getting caught, sued and fined, he still has millions. If he had never doped, it's doubtful he would ever have had the success which enabled him to enrich himself.

Moral of the story is financial penalties rarely punish the crime, and a rational actor will commit fraud.

Would you rather be rich and scorned, or forgottened?
It's a professional sport. It's always about the money. If you think it is not about the money, you really aren't pro.
This all day and twice on Sunday. It is a business first and sport second. Sports entertainment business.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Of course Armstrong came out ahead. Narcissists always need to be the center of conversation, and notoriety is nearly as good as fame in this regard. For a narcissist, it is a far worse fate to be forgotten, than to be despised.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I don't think Phil was telling the truth about the meeting to fix the Triple Crown Races
Old 06-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Ya think?

He's a terrible liar. Like a kid who got caught sneaking late night cookies from the cookie jar. "Who, me? Umm, well, uhhh...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I don't think Phil was telling the truth about the meeting to fix the Triple Crown Races