Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2024, 03:19 PM

Response from Rene Herse

I was asked for the G height and Bead Seat Diameter? After providing it, I received the following from Rene Herse:

Quote:
Thank you for the info: given those measurements they are just under the ISO/ETRTO standards for tubeless rims (https://www.renehersecycles.com/rim-and-tire-standards/), and given rim tape measures .2mm thick it reduces the G-Height of the rims even further which increases the risk of blow-off quickly. Looking at these measurement, we cannot in good conscience recommend using this setup tubeless as the rim manufacturer's G-Height is already at the barest minimum measurement for safe tubeless setup, and again the addition of tubeless tape reduces that even further to specifications that lie outside of the ISO-ETRTO standards.
My wheels have worked just fine with WTB and Conti tires. Not sure what to say, but it’s taken with a large boulder of salt.

But don’t you have to be able to actually mount the tires on the rim before you can risk a blow-off? I think I’m the one who Rene Herse is trying to blow off.
Old 07-02-2024, 06:17 PM

I should have listened to the struggles mentioned.

Currently have some Herse tires "relaxing" overnight with tubes on some new wheels. Hoping to set up tubeless tomorrow and REALLY hoping these ride a treat after.

Additional advice for tubeless setup welcome.

Last edited by Nickt; 07-02-2024 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
The only opinion, experience, and use case that matters to me are my own.

I like RH tires because they ride so nicely. They work well with Orange Seal or with inner tubes; about the same reliability as other tires. They look great too.

If these tires didn't work for me, I would choose different ones and go ride my bike.
100%. RH tires and Orange Seal on 3 bikes, all easy tubeless setup and excellent ride quality. That’s just my experience, but my experience is what drives my decisions.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
That’s just my experience, but my experience is what drives my decisions.
Who ever heard of doing something as foolish as that?

I prefer to follow influencers like the Kardashians.

(including details like not lining up the tube valve stems with the hole in the rim)

Old 07-03-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
100%. RH tires and Orange Seal on 3 bikes, all easy tubeless setup and excellent ride quality. That’s just my experience, but my experience is what drives my decisions.
Why don’t they work with other sealants like every other tire I’ve used? Or is it more like that is what you used and don’t have experience with others? Orange seal is expensive and doesn’t perform any better in my experience compared to sealants that cost half or less than it. I recently needed sealant while out of town and orange seal was $42 and WTB was $25 for the same volume..wtb worked perfectly fine in many tires previously, and it is what many shops use, so went with WTB.
Old 07-03-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Who ever heard of doing something as foolish as that?

I prefer to follow influencers like the Kardashians.

(including details like not lining up the tube valve stems with the hole in the rim)

Legit. And mounting the front fender backwards to get the Jan Hein aero fender position...
Old 07-03-2024, 08:26 AM
n - 1

Who put that bike together? Kickstand is halfway down.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:35 AM

Rene Herse tires SUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Who put that bike together? Kickstand is halfway down.

On the one hand, someone needs to get fired over that bike. Probably some unknowing assistant was ordered to open a box and assemble a bike.

On the other hand, every commuter bike locked up in any city is all kinds of wrong. So is it almost more authentic that way?

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 07-03-2024 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:20 AM
Bike Guy

Barlow Pass for Primary Paved Riding

I am considering my first RH purchase with a pair of the all black endurance Barlow Pass 700x38 tires. The goal is to set up my Ibis Hakka for maximum road touring enjoyment over several weeks in Japan. We are planning long days but mostly paved routes. The current front running alternative tire is the Specialized Mondo 700x35 as I have only good experiences with tires from the big bad S.

This is credit card touring as well so only 10-12 lbs of stuff on the bike fwiw. I thought about using the Tubolito gravel inner tubes with the above mentioned RH tires. Anyone have experiences they can share with a similar setup and/or use case? $250 on tires and tubes is a big ask but the idea of the supple life on perfect Japanese tarmac also excites me.
Old 07-15-2024, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
I am considering my first RH purchase with a pair of the all black endurance Barlow Pass 700x38 tires. The goal is to set up my Ibis Hakka for maximum road touring enjoyment over several weeks in Japan. We are planning long days but mostly paved routes. The current front running alternative tire is the Specialized Mondo 700x35 as I have only good experiences with tires from the big bad S.

……..
Barlow Pass 700-38 currently grace my Eriksen. They have been quite good on pavement and on the wide variety of dirt roads (a.k.a. Gravel) here in Vermont. I run them with tubes. The set up handles wonderfully, and rides like a Citroen DS. I would think it would be a good option for your trip.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Barlow Pass 700-38 currently grace my Eriksen. They have been quite good on pavement and on the wide variety of dirt roads (a.k.a. Gravel) here in Vermont. I run them with tubes. The set up handles wonderfully, and rides like a Citroen DS. I would think it would be a good option for your trip.
I’d second that. I have a standard set on my Romulus and it gets into somewhat gnarly stuff at times.

I’ve had no flats (hard to believe), now with somewhere over 2K miles… initially these were used on my Moots PSX. I keep waiting for the rear to square off and get some significant cuts. Not yet. BTW, running ‘em with tubes.

The endurance of the tire is the aspect that seems to get little attention.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:22 AM
Administrator

That's a lovely Riv thwart.

It's too bad they dont still make 'em like that. Great bike for wandering.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:39 AM
n - 1

They do currently offer the Roadeo. Mark Nobillette builds them to order, I believe.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
I’d second that. I have a standard set on my Romulus and it gets into somewhat gnarly stuff at times.

I’ve had no flats (hard to believe), now with somewhere over 2K miles… initially these were used on my Moots PSX. I keep waiting for the rear to square off and get some significant cuts. Not yet. BTW, running ‘em with tubes.

The endurance of the tire is the aspect that seems to get little attention.
Do the endurance tires have the same tread? And only thicker sidewalls? Or also more durable/thicker tread?

My experience with RH tires has been that they ride great, and don't get anymore flats than any other tires, but the tread wears through noticeably more quickly than others. If the endurance options gives better tread life, I might give that a try.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-15-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
My experience with RH tires has been that they ride great, and don't get anymore flats than any other tires, but the tread wears through noticeably more quickly than others. If the endurance options gives better tread life, I might give that a try.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris, I may have been less than clear above. I’m running the standard casing Barlow Pass. They’re old enough now that they read Compass rather than René Herse on the sidewall.

Obviously, everyone’s experience is going to vary, but these have been endurance champs for me.

I recall being surprised how thick the tread area was when I first mounted the tires… compared to others such as Challenge Strada Bianca, Rivendell Jack Browns and certainly much more than any road tires I was running at the time.

Last edited by thwart; 07-15-2024 at 10:53 AM.

Tags
no free lunch, snake oil