Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 09:47 AM

There are plenty of aluminum offset rims.
Old Today, 09:48 AM

I have 22ish internals on my XC bike, running 29x2.35. Works fine. I'm not sold on the necessity of width, especially as wider = heavier. I have 30 internals with my 650x48s on the gravel bike and they're nice but portly.
Old Today, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I have 22ish internals on my XC bike, running 29x2.35. Works fine. I'm not sold on the necessity of width, especially as wider = heavier. I have 30 internals with my 650x48s on the gravel bike and they're nice but portly.
My 30mm internal width mtb wheels weigh about the same as my 25mm internal all road wheels. Both are below 1500 grams.

I prefer the wider 30mm on the mtb. When I upgraded to them from 25mm with the same tires they rolled smoother, quieter and had better traction.
Old Today, 12:00 PM

Question before I make my decision. Would 2.25 tire be wider when mounted on 30mm inner comparing to 25mm? If so how much. I just want make sure there is enough clearance.
Old Today, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irideti View Post
Question before I make my decision. Would 2.25 tire be wider when mounted on 30mm inner comparing to 25mm? If so how much. I just want make sure there is enough clearance.
As has been mentioned, the tire width increases with any rim width increase.

Expect just a bit less than half of any rim width increase to be the mounted-tire width increase, perhaps less of an increase at the tread, though depending on the tread cap shape.
The mounted tire will also become very slightly larger in outside diameter (tire height).
Old Today, 12:56 PM

It's so hard to say but I suspect the differences is like a couple mm at most, with a slightly rounder profile on the narrower rim.

I remember seeing this from Rene Here's for Humptulips Ridge 2.3" tires:
  • Actual width on 20 mm rim (internal): approx. 52 mm
  • Actual width on 23 mm rim (internal): approx. 53 mm
Old Today, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irideti View Post
Yes, by somewhere around 2mm. It's about 1mm of extra width and 1/2mm of extra height per 2mm of increased interior rim width.

There's no universal "best." For whatever reason, a ton of world cup xc pros still use 25mm. Most riders using 2.25" to 2.4" tires choose somewhere between 27 and 30mm interior rims. 30mm seems to be the reference standard. I notice no difference at all in going from 28 to 30mm.

Keep in mind that any particular tire in any particular size will be defined by its tread and width (for example, Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25) but will have 2 or 3 compound variants (on a "most grippy" to "fastest" scale) and 2 or 3 casing variants (on a "hardcore downhill" to "supple xc race") with potentially some protection layer variants as well. So your Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25 could be a very very different tire than mine.

Getting somewhere from 28 to 30 will put you in good shape with most tires you'll use in anything broadly defined as xc.
Old Today, 12:59 PM

2.4 or wider- 30mm rim
It you really like 2.2 -2.3 xc tires(I do), you also like the 25mm rims they sre mounted to. 30mm wide rims and 2.2-2.3” tires is… not
optimal. You will need to change your tire pressure and your riding style, significantly.
Running the same tread, like an Aspen on 25mm id v 30mm ID, to have similar ride characteristics across the tire sizes you need to also change your rim width.

YMMV
Old Today, 01:30 PM

Anything between 25 - 30 mm should work fine. All of my riding is XC and/or Trail oriented. I currently have rims with 26mm (NOx Teocalli), 27mm (We Are One Factions) and 30mm (WTB i30 alloy). IMO the benefit of rim width has more to do with the specifics of the tire (width, shape, height) than just the width of the tire alone.
Old Today, 01:52 PM

This btlos configuration with their new 30mm rim is appealing(to me anyways ):

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; Today at 01:54 PM.