Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2024, 07:54 PM

This was the article last week that I found partlicularly interesting--that a significant percentage of cancers start as infections. [share; no paywall]

Quote:
Most cases of stomach cancer are caused by bacteria. A majority of cervical cancers, as well as some genital and oral cancers, are caused by a virus. And certain chronic viral infections can lead to liver cancer.

Infections like these account for an estimated 13 percent of all cancer cases globally, according to a new report published Wednesday by the American Association for Cancer Research. But knowing which infections can lead to cancer means scientists also have a good idea how to prevent them from ever getting that far: There are effective vaccines and medications to prevent and treat these infections, and they can be detected early on through screening.
Seems like these would be easy to control, and prevent rather than treat...

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/18/w...smid=url-share
Old 10-24-2024, 10:34 PM

The book Outlive, by Peter Attia, provides a pretty interesting discussion of the causes of serious illnesses, and provides recommendations on how to reduce your risk.

Hint - Like building a tree, you should have started 40 years ago. Today is also a good time to start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outlive.jpg (58.4 KB, 95 views)
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 10-24-2024, 11:29 PM

Indeed many of these are largely now preventable

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
This was the article last week that I found partlicularly interesting--that a significant percentage of cancers start as infections. [share; no paywall]

Seems like these would be easy to control, and prevent rather than treat...

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/18/w...smid=url-share
because of medical research that led to HPV vaccine, Hep A and Hep B vaccine, Hep C vaccines are in development, and research is why testing for H. Pylori is common-place when you have any ulcer symptoms.
Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novasfyre View Post
Just think, all you had to do to avoid having cancer multiple times was to use hydrogen peroxide! Sure, you'd have died after the first bout of cancer but at least you wouldn't have had it multiple times!
Now that made me laugh Thank you
Old Today, 08:03 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
Western medicine is great. Inspite the fact that it is 100% reactive and the pharmaceutical industry makes 10s of billions of dollars selling meds that try to mitigate the side effects of the primary prescription.

No one who funds medical research wants to get rid of what they're researching. They want to patent a drug and sell other drugs with it.

Kind.of like people who work with solving the homeless crisis. Why would you eliminate the source of your wealth?
Do you actually know anyone in these fields personally? Your broad strokes statements are absurdly false. There are so many dedicated people who would be more than happy to find some new work because they solved almost intractable problems that plague our society. The internet may not be the friend you think it is.
Old Today, 08:32 AM

I work in nuclear medicine. My company manufactures a radioactive drug that is in late-stage clinical trials. This stuff is extremely specific, targeting only the cancer cells. Once on the market it will reduce or eliminate the need for chemotherapy. If you've ever seen someone go through chemo you know what a godsend this is.
Old Today, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
because of medical research that led to HPV vaccine, Hep A and Hep B vaccine, Hep C vaccines are in development, and research is why testing for H. Pylori is common-place when you have any ulcer symptoms.
Martin Blaser's book "Missing Microbes" does a nice job summarizing the findings around the H. pylori and cancer link and other associated human-microbe-disease interactions. Worth a read if interested in this space.
Old Today, 09:53 AM

Wow

OMG, really? I really take exception to your last line, wow just wow…. As someone who’s wife has spent the past 20 years of her career working to fight food insecurity and homelessness you are way off base… if she cared about money those are the last places she’d work, plenty of money elsewhere. That take is such a narcissist take that I’m just beyond words… go talk to someone who is working to help others and have a deep conversation before you make a statement like that….sometimes people do actually have empathy and want to help others in a less fortunate position.

Sorry this just really struck a nerve to have such a pessimistic view of others and to suggest anyone fighting cancer or homelessness is only in it for themselves and money is disheartening to me…

Quote:
Western medicine is great. Inspite the fact that it is 100% reactive and the pharmaceutical industry makes 10s of billions of dollars selling meds that try to mitigate the side effects of the primary prescription.

No one who funds medical research wants to get rid of what they're researching. They want to patent a drug and sell other drugs with it.

Kind.of like people who work with solving the homeless crisis. Why would you eliminate the source of your wealth?

Last edited by bikerboy337; Today at 10:09 AM.
Old Today, 10:10 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:

Money does make the world go round, no doubt. Having said that, we here are thankful for this, 'mitigate the side effects of the primary prescription'. Chemo 'life' is partially 'mitigated' [lets use that word here too] in terms of the side effects largely with said drugs. I've seen this three times over 30 years and that aspect is well appreciated here with the 3rd iteration/person in my circle.

Your point is factual, but I can see how/why folks are taking exception to it.

I personally feel, and only recently seeing the costs of the treatment, that ours INS costs seem a lot like less like money in the wind which my former prospective gave me.
Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I work in nuclear medicine. My company manufactures a radioactive drug that is in late-stage clinical trials. This stuff is extremely specific, targeting only the cancer cells. Once on the market it will reduce or eliminate the need for chemotherapy. If you've ever seen someone go through chemo you know what a godsend this is.
I'll back that up as true from personal experience. And thank you for being involved in the cause. I've lived thru two bouts of two different kinds of cancer because of people like you.

Last edited by Nomadmax; Today at 10:34 AM.
Old Today, 12:05 PM

thanks--to my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Martin Blaser's book "Missing Microbes" does a nice job summarizing the findings around the H. pylori and cancer link and other associated human-microbe-disease interactions. Worth a read if interested in this space.
right now most my 'reading' time is spent trying to get a better understanding factors of my son's IDDM.
Old Today, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Spoken like someone with truly no understanding or experience in the matter.