Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
It'll be a nice wheel...remember proper and EVEN tension is key.
oldpotatoe tell us your secrets, what is EVEN tension?

All tensions (for a side, on the rear or asymetric front) within 10%? 5%? 2%?
Old Today, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
oldpotatoe tell us your secrets, what is EVEN tension?

All tensions (for a side, on the rear or asymetric front) within 10%? 5%? 2%?
I like to get w/i 5% of each spoke, or less, drive side rear and disc side front. I don't measure the NDS rear or non disc side front. If the DS, disc-side are proper, and even, the other side takes care of itself if the wheel is true and round. Same for rim brake fronts..I check the right side.

Most rim brake rims, most with machined sidewalls 'seem' easier to get there. Some disc brake rims are not. Get the tension close to even and the thing isn't round...so it's sometimes a compromise since the 'customer' sees the rim isn't quite round as they spin in their hand out of the box...So as even as possible. Carbon, rim brake(BTLOS) easy as are their disc brake versions..Nice, flat, round rims when new.

Spinning a new wheel is like picking up a new bike at the bike shop or when seeing your buddy's new rig at the coffee shop on Sunday..'ohh-ahh' but means not much. Riding, reliability, function is much more important. Bikes or wheels.
Old Today, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I like to get w/i 5% of each spoke, or less, drive side rear and disc side front. I don't measure the NDS rear or non disc side front. If the DS, disc-side are proper, and even, the other side takes care of itself if the wheel is true and round. Same for rim brake fronts..I check the right side.

Most rim brake rims, most with machined sidewalls 'seem' easier to get there. Some disc brake rims are not. Get the tension close to even and the thing isn't round...so it's sometimes a compromise since the 'customer' sees the rim isn't quite round as they spin in their hand out of the box...So as even as possible. Carbon, rim brake(BTLOS) easy as are their disc brake versions..Nice, flat, round rims when new.

Spinning a new wheel is like picking up a new bike at the bike shop or when seeing your buddy's new rig at the coffee shop on Sunday..'ohh-ahh' but means not much. Riding, reliability, function is much more important. Bikes or wheels.
Thanks for sharing!