Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Angry Geezer ! !

https://www.yahoo.com/news/angry-cyc...133302504.html
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Rim Brakes no less.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

Old b*stard is lucky he didn't get the grand prize for jerking open someone's car door. Kid didn't even close pass him to boot.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
slower than you

They have a lot of guns in Utah.
Old Today, 01:09 AM

Stuff like this just makes me sad. Clearly the cyclist is in the wrong here but I can't help but roll my eyes at the treatment of this as newsworthy. Just another opportunity to get people riled up and fill a comment section (~600 replies at the time of this post) with hatred and justifications for unsafe driving. America's car culture is deeply unhealthy.
Old Today, 04:01 AM

My take on it is that young man conducted himself very well. EDITED to add: That guy on the bike is part of the reason why they hate us.

Last edited by Nomadmax; Today at 06:39 AM.
Old Today, 06:23 AM

Search for the Part 2 which shows where the cops show up and the bike rider was 100% in the wrong. Goofs like that make us all look bad, and in the end he was cited and not the driver of the car.

https://www.kpcw.org/park-city/2024-...st-altercation
Old Today, 06:54 AM

BREAKING: Gary changes his surname from Peacock to Snowflake.
Old Today, 08:51 AM

Yes, the cyclist acted like an idiot. But the news person smiling and saying "yes, the driver was issued a citation for passing too close to a cyclist, but that was dropped" (probably because there were no 3rd party witnesses) I find the most disturbing bit.
Old Today, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yes, the cyclist acted like an idiot. But the news person smiling and saying "yes, the driver was issued a citation for passing too close to a cyclist, but that was dropped" (probably because there were no 3rd party witnesses) I find the most disturbing bit.
It was dropped because the kid had dash cam video that showed he DIDN'T close pass the cyclist.
Old Today, 09:09 AM

These stories can be so dumb, I agree why cover it. It's just the anti-cyclist agenda since there were probably hundreds of driver on driver road rage incidents yesterday. Too many to be news.

I've noticed some of these low quality news sources are just mining reddit threads for stories.

They go in and look at "Am I the A**hole" and stuff like that and then write an article. Not realizing those reddit threads are sometimes fictional. Actually the stories could be AI summaries of the reddit thread.
Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
The charges against the driver were dropped because his dashcam showed he swerved to give the cyclist room. You can also find bodycam clips of the police officer's interaction with the cyclist. Mr Peacock handled the incident poorly and unfortunately the story has received a great deal of attention because the vast majority of our population drives motor vehicles and considers cyclists an annoyance.
Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
These stories can be so dumb, I agree why cover it. It's just the anti-cyclist agenda since there were probably hundreds of driver on driver road rage incidents yesterday. Too many to be news.

I've noticed some of these low quality news sources are just mining reddit threads for stories.

They go in and look at "Am I the A**hole" and stuff like that and then write an article. Not realizing those reddit threads are sometimes fictional. Actually the stories could be AI summaries of the reddit thread.
Absolutely. This nationally televised video takes the bad behavior of one jerk and perpetuates the stereotype that all cyclists are annoying, confrontational M.A.M.I.L.'s that only make life difficult for innocent motorists.

If this were a video of a confrontation between a white man and a black man that ended with the black man facing charges and a smug "The tables were certainly turned on him," the video would be condemned as blatantly racist.

Last edited by dgauthier; Today at 10:17 AM.
Old Today, 10:24 AM

Now that I watched the video the story is even more stupid and it's that whole car bias thing of course.

- The Cop actually wrote the kid a ticket and it got dropped later. Cause he already got punished by getting yelled at by a senior? If he got a citation the evidence must have actually showed that he did make a dangerous pass.

- Was the kid wearing his over the ear headphones while driving? Too bad there's no video of that, isn't that a citation worthy offense too that should play into the officers judgement and/or the magistrate's?

- Complete ignorance of the fact if the kid got a citation for passing too close the cyclist was in bodily danger or danger of being killed. Yet it somehow more serious that the old guy was cranky afterwards and his citation can't be dropped.

It's just another case of "it doesn't matter the driver could have killed you, no reaction from the cyclist can be tolerated." This was a very mild reaction, it's not like the guy threw a punch or broke a window. People who hate cyclists and pedestrians must have loved this news bit. "Serves 'em right for not getting off the road!"
Old Today, 10:46 AM

I know this is a cycling forum but be objective.
The cyclist was ticketed based upon the claim made by the driver. The driver had a dash cam that was viewed by the prosecutor and it showed he swerved to give the cyclist room before passing. The charges were dropped based upon that footage. If you watch the clip from the officer's body cam you'll see why the cyclist was ticketed as well and chose to pay his fine rather than fight it.