Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:35 AM

true retro-style bibs out there (thin pad)? alternative to Kurcharik

I'm finally up to a 30-mile ride, and am finding that my body (which is still 25lbs overweight) much prefers the old-school super thin terry or leather chamois. I have one set of etxe ondo bibs that fits fat me which has that type of pad. Everything modern with thicker pads doesn't feel as good, or outright pinches me. I've tried PI, Pactimo, Primal, Rapha; but anything with bulk to the pad bothers me. I will say I bought a Q36.5 here and it was a bit tight so haven't ridden in it yet--maybe if I loose 5-10 I'll give it a go.

Kucharik is apparently out of business after decades, and they were the only place I knew that still offered a bib with a minimalist chamois.

I've bought several vintage bibs on ebay, but they are often not in "good" shape as advertised. Maybe ok to hang in a wall-display, but not for riding.

I've found a local alteration shop that does a good job repairing the failing seems (only $15 each repair), but the cost adds up. Some of the vintage stuff the lycra is failing and thinning, so also not really rideable--I'm about to ask the tailor shop to swap out pads from a lycra-failed bib into a not-lycra failed one.

The only fun part about this has been finding deals on vintage team kit from the earlier days of my following pro-cycling. (probably 1984 onwards).

Appreciate any links if anyone still makes such bibs. Or if you've got old but still serviceable bibs squirreled away and want to part with them.
Old Today, 11:38 AM

this people may have something for you...
https://www.boure.com/1502.html
Old Today, 12:45 PM
Randomhead

I have some Voler bibs with a thin chamois. I really like them. They weren't their low-end bibs either, but I'm not sure what the model is. Unfortunately, the coating on the fabric let loose and now they are transparent and have been relegated to trainer use.
Old Today, 01:42 PM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingeru View Post
this people may have something for you...
https://www.boure.com/1502.html
Ultra suede pro chamois is what I'd want!
Old Today, 01:44 PM

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I have some Voler bibs with a thin chamois. I really like them. They weren't their low-end bibs either, but I'm not sure what the model is. Unfortunately, the coating on the fabric let loose and now they are transparent and have been relegated to trainer use.
I should have added Voler to the list, I have 2 pair of theirs, terrible for me, but I'd certainly not call the chamois thin, so will take a look in case they have different models. I have several vintage bis that the pad feels great, but the lycra is getting see through, so no standing and climbing etc.