Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 05:02 PM

Wrench schools

Time to think about a career after the corporate grind, so I am in the lucky position to ask a question more of passion than economics: Are there any wrench schools on the East coast? It looks like there are two serious schools, in Oregon: UBI (https://bikeschool.com/) and USA Cycling (https://usacycling.org/mechanics). Do they have a clinch on the market?
Old Today, 05:49 PM

UBI is pretty much the biggest operation for now. The USA Cycling stuff is more geared toward mechanics that may be working or supporting national/international events with U19/23/Elite riders.

Did the full UBI slate of courses in 2022, was already working at a shop for a while before hand, but it was very informative. Like many courses, it's a baseline, time at the bench and seeing lots of different bikes come in the door is the biggest helper post-training. Happy to answer questions via PM.

BBI (I think that was the name) was in Colorado, and aligned with QBP IIRC, but they were a COVID casualty I believe.
Old Today, 06:20 PM

In case it matters to anyone reading this thread who is a veteran, UBI will take the GI Bill. I finish my second graduate degree in two weeks and will have enough left to attend UBI. GI Bill also will pay a monthly stipend to help pay for room and board.
Old Today, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
In case it matters to anyone reading this thread who is a veteran, UBI will take the GI Bill. I finish my second graduate degree in two weeks and will have enough left to attend UBI. GI Bill also will pay a monthly stipend to help pay for room and board.
Did the same thing, Denise is super responsive at getting all paperwork filled for the VA side of student certification.